• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade Marc Staal, 2021 2nd Round Pick to DET for Future Considerations

Phil

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy literally almost lost an eye for the Rangers. He played 13 years. Nearly 1000 games and went to the cup finals. He's a legend.

Concussed by his brother, lost an eye, but I'll never forget how he was always able to pretty much shutdown Ovechkin at even strength, with both in their primes.

Warrior material! Staal deserves :clap: on his way out the door for the NYR service he gave.

There has been periodic discussion on this board about the nature of Staal's NMC. There have been conflicting media sources as to whether it is a full NMC in the latter part of the contract. It may well not have been a full NMC, and if he had 10 teams to bar a trade to, he might not have included Detroit, due to the relative proximity to home.

I think this opens things up as far a signing ADA. You can look at this trade as whatever the take on a trade of ADA would have been as an RFA plus a second rounder in exchange for ADA.

The first part I can see but what makes you think the 2nd would happen?

Only that they have 3 d out of contract And not a ton of space. Greene, Pulock, and Toews. I could easily see them taking Staal to replace Greene for cheaper and he probably would be fine in their slow teams down to mucK system.

So not a single person in the world knew this trade was coming.

Do we like it better when there are no leaks or do you prefer having some loose lips to hype upcoming moves?

I like non-specific leaks. Maybe just small tidbits. "Detroit and Rangers talking trade...stay tuned". Then we can have fun speculating.

Thank you for the memories, Marc! You were a beast here, a 'stal'wart, if you will. Watching him grow up with other bluelines like McDonagh and Girardi was a treat. As special as the 2014-2015 Rangers teams were, I also really liked the 2012 team. Not only was Lundqvist great that year, a Vezina season, the defense was a monster too. Those early 2010 teams were definitely led by their defense and goaltending and Staal was a big reason why. It's the end of an era right here. As far as the free cap space goes, is it possible they buyout both Lundqvist and Brendan Smith now too?

Wow. Thanks for everything Marc. Good luck in Detroit.

I have nothing bad to say about Staal. The guy was a true warrior here for us. He wasn?t as bad as the fans made him out to be. He was a good leader in the locker room, I will miss the guy. Would have been nice if he could have ended his career as a Ranger.

Probably my favorite Staal moment. God I loved that team. Miss those days...

Staal was a humble warrior, a true professional, and a hell of a Ranger. Bittersweet. Wish him the best.

Gotta love Staal. Hate the contract. Fine. But what a guy. What a team player. True ranger. Thanks for everything Staalsy hope you finish up well in Detroit and help them turn the organization around

Warrior material! Staal deserves :clap: on his way out the door for the NYR service he gave.

Thank you for the memories, Marc! You were a beast here, a 'stal'wart, if you will. Watching him grow up with other bluelines like McDonagh and Girardi was a treat. As special as the 2014-2015 Rangers teams were, I also really liked the 2012 team. Not only was Lundqvist great that year, a Vezina season, the defense was a monster too. Those early 2010 teams were definitely led by their defense and goaltending and Staal was a big reason why. It's the end of an era right here. As far as the free cap space goes, is it possible they buyout both Lundqvist and Brendan Smith now too?

Pretty much feel the same way as you guys. I've watched Staal play pretty much every game here and I wish him the best as well. "It's too bad we gotta get old"...unfortunately the business end of this thing rears it's head and the team has to make room for the young guns.

Yeah his play fell off and his cap hit hurt to look at lots of times, but when something like this happens, you remember the good things and the lasting memories. I wish him the best and maybe one day he can be a coach or scout in the organization.

That OT playoff goal video still makes me wet my pants when I watch it!!! :happy:

I still can't believe this actually happened.

I remember when we drafted Staal and what he represented at the time. What a career with the Rangers - just wish he'd gotten one more game with us so we could celebrate him properly. He gave it all, and we had some of the best years of my fandom with him on the team, leading the D. He'll be a Ranger forever.

Thanks for everything, Marc.

• Like 1