Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Won't Re-Sign Mikko Koivu; Option for Rangers?

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend

Wild Won't Re-Sign Mikko Koivu; Option for Rangers?

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Kills penalties, wins faceoffs, plays center, low expectations, one of the best Finns to ever play the game, strong leadership qualities...

Get him, Gorts.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Eh. 37 years old and deteriorating quickly. Rather see someone with a future here in that spot. If we were really cup contenders next season I could see the purpose of a one year deal for an aging vet, but I don't think we're there yet.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Meh.
    I mean he made 5m last year. Obviously he’s not going to command that but even at 2.5m. I’d rather have Boyle at 1m or so. About the same production right now but 2 years younger.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    For what role? 4th line?

Yeah, bring him in on the bottom 6. He can probably flex up to 2c in a pinch, I guess, but not ideal.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Meh.
    I mean he made 5m last year. Obviously he’s not going to command that but even at 2.5m. I’d rather have Boyle at 1m or so. About the same production right now but 2 years younger.
    You aren't bringing Koivu in for his production anymore. It's for everything else - a mentor for your star young Finn, someone to teach the Howdens and Barrons and Chytils of the world to play good two-way hockey and intelligently kill penalties.

Minor commitment for potentially major implications.
    Hidden Content

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I watch enough of the Wild to report that he is in precipitous decline. Nothing left. If this were last season and I were a contender with a hole at bottom 6 centers, I might have taken him at the deadline in the hope that with the help of some drugs and a masseuse you could squeeze a couple of months out of him, but not for a full season. Wild fans have been anxiously awaiting his departure for a couple of years.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    You aren't bringing Koivu in for his production anymore. It's for everything else - a mentor for your star young Finn, someone to teach the Howdens and Barrons and Chytils of the world to play good two-way hockey and intelligently kill penalties.

Other than being a Finn, how would his impact be any different than the other vets that are on the team or have been on the team like Fast?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post

Yeah I know but I think you get that, albeit lesser, in Boyle too and for cheaper probably. Except the Finn part. Boyle is a former 20 goal scorer, has been to 2 cup finals, cancer survivor, played here already, etc. We all know the drill lol

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    When I saw your headline I thought, WTF?

But if he's a 3rd or 4th line center I guess I don't hate it.

It's a downgrade from Strome though so how exactly does that work? Are they ready to commit to Chytil on the 2nd line?
    GORTON 2020

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    When I saw your headline I thought, WTF?

But if he's a 3rd or 4th line center I guess I don't hate it.

It's a downgrade from Strome though so how exactly does that work? Are they ready to commit to Chytil on the 2nd line?
    Strome isn't their third- or fourth-line center. Chytil (who is almost certainly a winger) and Howden (who sucks) are.

This would have little to no impact on their search for an impact 2C.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I don't like this idea. Give me Strome and let the kids fight for the bottom 2 Center spots. Chytil is going to slot up; I just have a feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Other than being a Finn, how would his impact be any different than the other vets that are on the team or have been on the team like Fast?
    We haven't got Fast - not yet, anyway - and the average age of our centers is "gets carded for cigarettes".

Our bottom 6 are largely young, inexperienced players who could use a guy like Koivu around for a year to show them how to play forward at the kind of level they're capable of. Koivu's smart, experienced, has worn the C for a long time - it's a very low risk, potentially very high reward move.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Yeah I know but I think you get that, albeit lesser, in Boyle too and for cheaper probably. Except the Finn part. Boyle is a former 20 goal scorer, has been to 2 cup finals, cancer survivor, played here already, etc. We all know the drill lol
    I'm not averse to Boyle either, but I think Koivu can still play up the lineup if needed in a way that Boyle can't anymore.
    Hidden Content

Senior Member Mite Division Lord Al's Avatar
    Production has gone down very quickly in two years deafly not a metropolitan division type of player

I doubt he takes a big enough pay cut for it to be worth signing him.

If he takes a cap friendly 1 year deal as our 4th line C, sure. Gives Kakko a fellow Finn to speak to and learn from, and he would be a great role model. Just not sure that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

HNIC BSBH Legend
    League minimum to not be Gregg McKegg.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    League minimum to not be Gregg McKegg.
    The Rangers need to be on guard. The rumor is that Gregg McKegg is going to assume another identity and re-sign as an imposter. We'll know that it has happened if McKegg's "replacement" is suspiciously no better than McKegg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast