Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here's to a Good Season

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorganBarron View Post
    Why is Georgiev not part of the future? he is younger than Shesterkin. What if something happens to Shesterkin? What if Wall and Huska suck?

Miller I am sure is ready for NHL next season.
    Miller will need a year, maybe more, in Hartford.

Would be a shocker if he made the team out of camp. Only reason I could think he makes the team is because of no AHL due to COVID.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    BTW Canadiens are up 2-1 vs Penguins, while Rangers choked. Why? Could it have something to do with their coaching staff vs ours? Look who is running our offense and PP: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/...y.php?pid=4072

a guy with almost no coaching experience.
    No.

More likely because of Jack Johnson, Justin Schultz and Matt Murray... And if any coach is the issue, it's Sullivan for sticking with those 3.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Why is Georgiev not part of the future? he is younger than Shesterkin. What if something happens to Shesterkin? What if Wall and Huska suck?

Miller I am sure is ready for NHL next season.
    He’s not part of the future cause he won’t be here in 2 years for 1 of 3 reasons
    1) They’ll trade him now and let Hank play out his contract
    Or
    2) He’ll sign his 2 year bridge deal to backup Igor and in a year when Igor hits RFA status and wants a new contract Rangers will invest in Igor and Georgiev will want a chance to start elsewhere and leave
    Or
    3) He’ll sign his 2 year bridge deal and in 2 years he will price himself out of the normally accepted price range of a backup and get more money elsewhere.

Those are the 3 most likely scenarios.

Backups are easy and cheap to find. They’ve had NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER finding quality backups for 15 years and no reason to believe they’ll suddenly be unable to do so. Even if Wall and Huska are terrible I’m in no way worried.

I’d in no way recommend you be certain about Miller playing in the NHL next season. He’s 20 years old. He’s only been playing D for 3 seasons, one of which was in High School. And he’s yet to play professional hockey at any level.
    He’ll be in camp for sure. But he’s almost certainly going to be in Hartford and will likely be there for at least 1/2 the season, and that’s if he’s really impressive down there.
    McDonagh spent 3 years at Wisconsin and was considered much more polished and NHL ready at 20-21 like Miller is now and he spent half the 10-11 season in Hartford before his debut.

You may not see Miller at all.
    And none of the other young D (namely Rykov or Hajek) look ready.

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Whom is it preventing from playing?
    Because Georgiev isnt part of the future either.
    And none of the young LH D have shown that theyre ready to supplant one of Staal or Smith. Even if they are, we all know Quinn will scratch guys to play others.
    Not a huge concern

Only way they should do a buyout is if it facilitates keeping a guy who they feel HAS to be here and is undeniably in the long-term plan
    Id be very careful just throwing every egg into the Shesty backup. By no means do I think hes not the real deal, but a ton can happen. Georgiev would be nice to keep just because of the idea he has to sign this bridge deal. Two years is a long tine in the hockey world and we are better having him over Henrik for those two years even if the buyout + re-up for Georgie equals out.

Besides, maybe its just me, but this team plays its worst when Henrik is in goal, at least fro, the eye test. Its just time to move on in my opinion.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    He’s not part of the future cause he won’t be here in 2 years for 1 of 3 reasons
    1) They’ll trade him now and let Hank play out his contract
    Or
    2) He’ll sign his 2 year bridge deal to backup Igor and in a year when Igor hits RFA status and wants a new contract Rangers will invest in Igor and Georgiev will want a chance to start elsewhere and leave
    Or
    3) He’ll sign his 2 year bridge deal and in 2 years he will price himself out of the normally accepted price range of a backup and get more money elsewhere.

Backups are easy and cheap to find. They’ve had NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER finding quality backups for 15 years and no reason to believe they’ll suddenly be unable to do so. Even if Wall and Huska are terrible I’m in no way worried.

I’d in no way recommend you be certain about Miller playing in the NHL next season. He’s 20 years old. He’s only been playing D for 3 seasons, one of which was in High School. And he’s yet to play professional hockey at any level.
    He’ll be in camp for sure. But he’s almost certainly going to be in Hartford and will likely be there for at least 1/2 the season, and that’s if he’s really impressive down there.
    McDonagh spent 3 years at Wisconsin and was considered much more polished and NHL ready at 20-21 like Miller is now and he spent half the 10-11 season in Hartford before his debut.

Georgiev's 'stock' isnt going up sitting on the bench for 2 seasons.

UFA & RFA goalies this season he is
    18th in GAA
    12 in SV%

That's just free agents this summer, not all the goalies in the league.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Bank of Quinn BSBH Prospect
    BTW Canadiens are up 2-1 vs Penguins, while Rangers choked. Why? Could it have something to do with their coaching staff vs ours? Look who is running our offense and PP: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/...y.php?pid=4072

a guy with almost no coaching experience.
    The Rangers were fifth in G/GP and seventh in PP% throughout the regular season. Scoring clearly wasn't an option then. Instead of trying to pin this on the coaches, why not blame it on those who actually failed to execute? The players. David Oliver isn't skating onto the ice to set up Zibanejad for one-timers on the PP.

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    If we are going to blame Oliver for this offensive display in the postseason then if Panarin wins the Hart, i better see David accept the trophy lol

Sometimes the players just dont perform. It's just that simple.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Hes not part of the future cause he wont be here in 2 years for 1 of 3 reasons
    1) Theyll trade him now and let Hank play out his contract
    Or
    2) Hell sign his 2 year bridge deal to backup Igor and in a year when Igor hits RFA status and wants a new contract Rangers will invest in Igor and Georgiev will want a chance to start elsewhere and leave
    Or
    3) Hell sign his 2 year bridge deal and in 2 years he will price himself out of the normally accepted price range of a backup and get more money elsewhere.

Backups are easy and cheap to find. Theyve had NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER finding quality backups for 15 years and no reason to believe theyll suddenly be unable to do so. Even if Wall and Huska are terrible Im in no way worried.

Id in no way recommend you be certain about Miller playing in the NHL next season. Hes 20 years old. Hes only been playing D for 3 seasons, one of which was in High School. And hes yet to play professional hockey at any level.
    Hell be in camp for sure. But hes almost certainly going to be in Hartford and will likely be there for at least 1/2 the season, and thats if hes really impressive down there.

My money is on option 2, though it's dependent on what the contract looks like. I'd like to think they'll have no problem getting him on a 2 x 1.5-2 per kind of bridge deal. Anything more than that I think they will be looking at arbitration or reverting back to either option 1 OR potentially an option 4, which is to trade Georgiev AND Hank retires (I'm doubting he actually wants to be a backup) or is bought out, then sign a cheap backup or give Huska a go.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    My money is on option 2, though it's dependent on what the contract looks like. I'd like to think they'll have no problem getting him on a 2 x 1.5-2 per kind of bridge deal. Anything more than that I think they will be looking at arbitration or reverting back to either option 1 OR potentially an option 4, which is to trade Georgiev AND Hank retires (I'm doubting he actually wants to be a backup) or is bought out, then sign a cheap backup or give Huska a go.
    I can promise you that there is no scenario in which Huska is an option. I don't think he has an NHL future at all unless he figures out how to consistently stop pucks going to the top portion of the net.

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Brooks is kind of on both sides here, but the problem is that the player is worth more than the pick.

Lafreniere will go #1. If we have #1, Lafreniere is the pick, no questions asked.

Where it gets interesting is what does each team actually want? The Rangers straight up do not need a left wing. We have Panarin, we have Kreider, and we committed to both of them within the last 13 months. We've also got Kakko who plays both sides. Time changes things, but LW just isn't a position top contenders stack up on. We desperately need a center like Byfield, but we simply cannot justify passing on Lafreniere....so long as we hold #1.

So the question at hand is....who wants who?

If NYR want Byfield, LA wants Stutzle (as is heavily rumored), and OTT wants Lafreniere, we can and should figure out a three way trade that lets us maximize the pick value.
    I agree, but that sort of thing never happens in the NHL. Probably because setting a price for trading down from #1 that everyone is happy with is extremely hard.
    I mean, what is your price for trading with Ottawa, for instance? If I'm Ottawa I'm definitely in two minds giving up 4 & 5 for #1. Lafreniere is very good, but is he better than Stutzle AND Perfetti? That's certainly debatable. If I'm the Rangers I probably take that deal. You can ask for #4 and Ottawas 1st next season, but that's not really in the Rangers best interests.
    I also agree with the point on Rangers not really needing LW. You could possibly argue that being able to push Kreider to the 3rd line is exactly the sort of depth the Rangers need. It would be over paid depth, but it would be offset somewhat by Lafreniere being on his rookie deal. I mean, if Kreider is an unquestionable top 6 guy by the time Lafrienieres ELC is out we're probably not in a very good place anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Georgiev's 'stock' isnt going up sitting on the bench for 2 seasons.

UFA & RFA goalies this season he is
    18th in GAA
    12 in SV%

That's just free agents this summer, not all the goalies in the league.
    I agree
    This is part of the reason why they should probably just move him now.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I agree, but that sort of thing never happens in the NHL. Probably because setting a price for trading down from #1 that everyone is happy with is extremely hard.
    I mean, what is your price for trading with Ottawa, for instance? If I'm Ottawa I'm definitely in two minds giving up 4 & 5 for #1. Lafreniere is very good, but is he better than Stutzle AND Perfetti? That's certainly debatable. If I'm the Rangers I probably take that deal. You can ask for #4 and Ottawas 1st next season, but that's not really in the Rangers best interests.
    I also agree with the point on Rangers not really needing LW. You could possibly argue that being able to push Kreider to the 3rd line is exactly the sort of depth the Rangers need. It would be over paid depth, but it would be offset somewhat by Lafreniere being on his rookie deal. I mean, if Kreider is an unquestionable top 6 guy by the time Lafrienieres ELC is out we're probably not in a very good place anyway.
    Normally I would agree but this sort of thing has happened twice in the last 20 years and may be necessitated by the flat cap.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    I’d be very careful just throwing every egg into the Shesty backup. By no means do I think he’s not the real deal, but a ton can happen. Georgiev would be nice to keep just because of the idea he has to sign this bridge deal. Two years is a long tine in the hockey world and we are better having him over Henrik for those two years even if the buyout + re-up for Georgie equals out.

Besides, maybe it’s just me, but this team plays it’s worst when Henrik is in goal, at least fro, the eye test. It’s just time to move on in my opinion.
    It’s a valid point you make.
    But unfortunately they have Hank under contract, they buyout is costly, and given all the factors surrounding it, Georgiev might be be the sacrifice because of it.

I look at Hank’s performance this year through a different lens somewhat.
    I actually believe that if he came into a season and knew he was going to be the backup and what his workload would be and knew about how often and how regularly he would be playing, he’d be fine.
    There wouldn’t be, IMO, much if any discrepancy between Hank and Georgiev

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Normally I would agree but this sort of thing has happened twice in the last 20 years and may be necessitated by the flat cap.
    What may be necessitated by the flat cap?

Double post

Senior Member Midget Division
    I’d be very careful just throwing every egg into the Shesty backup. By no means do I think he’s not the real deal, but a ton can happen. Georgiev would be nice to keep just because of the idea he has to sign this bridge deal. Two years is a long tine in the hockey world and we are better having him over Henrik for those two years even if the buyout + re-up for Georgie equals out.

Besides, maybe it’s just me, but this team plays it’s worst when Henrik is in goal, at least fro, the eye test. It’s just time to move on in my opinion.
    How does this play out with the expansion draft? We need to expose one goalie, right?

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    How does this play out with the expansion draft? We need to expose one goalie, right?
    That’s next offseason. They play in 21/22

Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    You need to expose one but it can be any jabroni that meets the criteria. The Rangers don’t have to protect Shesterkin since he’s ineligible so the Rangers could use their goalie spot on Georgiev if he’s still around.

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Lol shit, I didn’t even realize he meant the following year. Thanks Drew!

Senior Member Midget Division
    Lol shit, I didnt even realize he meant the following year. Thanks Drew!
    I could have been clearer. I was thinking about how much planning for the ExpDraft goes into our roster management now? That have to be thinking about it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast