Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Not disagreeing at all. Regardless, I don’t see Strome trying to help us out one year away from ufa anyway.
    With a flat cap, he probably will. It's his best path. Take $5.5m for a year and ride shotgun to Panarin and take that to the bank in UFA.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    With a flat cap, he probably will. It's his best path. Take $5.5m for a year and ride shotgun to Panarin and take that to the bank in UFA.
    I think the flat cap will remain for 2 years. I think he's better off getting a 2 year deal now than a 1 year deal. Take some guaranteed cash based on the season he just had, get to UFA when the cap is supposed to go back up again.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    I think the flat cap will remain for 2 years. I think he's better off getting a 2 year deal now than a 1 year deal. Take some guaranteed cash based on the season he just had, get to UFA when the cap is supposed to go back up again.
    Sure. That works for us, too.

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Not disagreeing at all. Regardless, I don’t see Strome trying to help us out one year away from ufa anyway.
    I don't either. I've said, if I'm his agent, I'm telling him to take a one-year deal and get to free agency. Even with a flat cap, productive centers will get paid.

Exactly this.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I don't either. I've said, if I'm his agent, I'm telling him to take a one-year deal and get to free agency. Even with a flat cap, productive centers will get paid.

Exactly this.
    The problem with that is that you're actually looking at two reasonably good UFA center years in '21(Krejci/Getzlaf/Stepan/Stastny/RNH/E Staal/MoJo) and '22 (Malkin/Bergeron/Barkov/Hertl/Zib/Trocheck/Kadri/Couturier/Rakell/Jenner). Old, and obviously up for some variation (no way Zib or Barkov hits that 2022 market), but the kind of market that would certainly make it harder to truly cash in.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    The problem with that is that you're actually looking at two reasonably good UFA center years in '21(Krejci/Getzlaf/Stepan/Stastny/RNH/E Staal/MoJo) and '22 (Malkin/Bergeron/Barkov/Hertl/Zib/Trocheck/Kadri/Couturier/Rakell/Jenner). Old, and obviously up for some variation (no way Zib or Barkov hits that 2022 market), but the kind of market that would certainly make it harder to truly cash in.
    Asssuming they all make it to market, which is unlikely. The free agent markets are always great looking on paper, and thin in reality as teams keep their players or trade them to teams who sign them before free agency.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Asssuming they all make it to market, which is unlikely. The free agent markets are always great looking on paper, and thin in reality as teams keep their players or trade them to teams who sign them before free agency.
    Sure, but few of those players are retirement age, and few of them are going to take significant cuts. It'll eat into available salary for Strome to actively take.

The UFA market is likely something mid-six players will try to avoid until the cap moves up again.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

If he puts up another near-70-point season, he's clearly not a middle-six player. He's a potential 1C or high-end 2C that teams would probably trip over themselves to acquire. You don't think Minnesota, for example, would love to sign him?
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    If he puts up another near-70-point season, he's clearly not a middle-six player. He's a potential 1C or high-end 2C that teams would probably trip over themselves to acquire. You don't think Minnesota, for example, would love to sign him?
    Why wait? Minnesota can just trade for him now.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Why wait? Minnesota can just trade for him now.
    Don't threaten me with a good time. LOL.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Right. That's why i say he would agree to one year possibly but not multiple years.

Corrected typos
    Last edited by Keirik; 09-21-2020 at 03:55 PM.

How Rangers and Henrik Lundqvist both win by waiting out goaltending carousel

The NHL’s first buyout window opens this coming Friday, Sept. 25, at 5 p.m. and closes at the same time on Oct. 8. But that does not necessarily mean that Henrik Lundqvist’s immediate fate will be determined during that period.

That is because the Rangers will have a second buyout opportunity of 24 hours two days after the club’s final settlement or award on salary arbitration filings. The Blueshirts would expect Tony DeAngelo, Ryan Strome, Alex Georgiev, Brendan Lemieux and perhaps Phil DiGiuseppe to file unless traded beforehand. Arbitration hearings will be held between Oct. 20 and Nov. 8.

So the hierarchy and Lundqvist both still have time. In this instance, they should use it. Because the goaltending situation around the league will be much clearer in late October and early November than it will be over the next few weeks before the Oct. 9 opening of the free agent market.

Once the musical-chair goaltending carousel — that could include trade targets Darcy Kuemper, Marc-Andre Fleury, Matt Murray, Frederik Andersen and Jonathan Quick as well as pending free agents Anton Khudobin, Braden Holtby, Jacob Markstrom, Thomas Greiss, Corey Crawford, Cam Talbot, Ryan Miller, et al. — slows down, Lundqvist is likely to have a much better idea if there is a team for which he is a match.
    The Rangers will accrue knowledge, as well, and perhaps would be able to make a trade to a targeted team that would be beneficial to the cap both for 2020-21 and 2021-22. If the Blueshirts could trade the 38-year netminder while retaining $4.25 million (50 percent) of his $8.5 million cap hit instead of buying him out, the club would save $1.25 million against the cap this year and, equally as important, a looming dead space charge of $1.5 million the following season.
    It is possible the Rangers might have to add a sweetener in terms of a prospect or a draft pick to complete a trade. The Blueshirts own nine 2021 picks: seven of their own plus Buffalo’s third-rounder and Carolina’s fourth. The team does have inventory.
    https://nypost.com/2020/09/21/how-ra...site%20buttons
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I just don't see them buying him out or trading him.

a) buyout is bad business and we've already got three non-rostered players on the books, including Shattenkirks enormous cap hit.
    b) trade isn't going to happen based on age, skill level, and contract. There's no reason any team would take him over the other goalies listed above other than as a favor to Gorton and JD.
    GORTON 2020

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    A lot of those players will be 35 or 35+ in '22. Strome will be 29.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I just don't see them buying him out or trading him.

a) buyout is bad business and we've already got three non-rostered players on the books, including Shattenkirks enormous cap hit.
    b) trade isn't going to happen based on age, skill level, and contract. There's no reason any team would take him over the other goalies listed above other than as a favor to Gorton and JD.
    A week ago Larry's article was "Ranger must Buyout Lundqvist in the First Window"...now it's Welllll, they don't have to and might be better if they didn't.

He doesn't know shit.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    A week ago Larry's article was "Ranger must Buyout Lundqvist in the First Window"...now it's Welllll, they don't have to and might be better if they didn't.

He doesn't know shit.
    Larry's a click bait artist. He rarely offers real insight.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Larry's a click bait artist. He rarely offers real insight.
    Totally this.
    100%
    Brooks is only interested in meeting his deadlines and article quotas and filling his column inches

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    The part I never understand in all of this is how Staal never gets brought up and Smith skates as well. I mean if u buy out Staal and trade Georgiev forcing a team to take Smith along as well, u save the embarrassment of ending Henrik time here and get the same cap relief.

I get it. Smith is hard to trade, but not impossible going into his last year of a contract.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Brooks has to write something since the Finals has limited appeal to NYR fans. These Lundqvist rehashes are now pretty much the same article with the paragraphs switched around.

Senior Member Midget Division
    The part I never understand in all of this is how Staal never gets brought up and Smith skates as well. I mean if u buy out Staal and trade Georgiev forcing a team to take Smith along as well, u save the embarrassment of ending Henrik time here and get the same cap relief.

I get it. Smith is hard to trade, but not impossible going into his last year of a contract.
    With the logjam of young defense hard to understand. Smith actually wasn't awful last season. May be a guy facing being out of the NHL after getting fat dumb and happy with his last contract got his attention. Staal is simply terrible. Nice guy, but done as a player.

Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast