• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jeff Gorton, Chris Drury Contracts Extended

Phil

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By all accounts, Drury is a rising star in the ranks, and should soon be a widely sought-after GM candidate. Good on us for locking him in long-term.

Gorton's earned it too. He's done nicely re-positioning this team for success, and he seems to understand how to make reasonably difficult choices.

Damn dude. Do you ever have anything positive to say?
Yep.

Panarin is a god.

Zib is a stud.

Lindgren and Fox are sick surprises.

ADA had a breakout year.

The team being in playoff contention is a pleasant surprise. Quinn's done a great job.

Am I going to credit a GM with throwing money at the best UFA available, or Trouba and Fox forcing their way to NY?

No. No, I'm not.

Sorry I don't have blind love for all things Rangers.

• Like 1

Yep.

Panarin is a god.

Zib is a stud.

Lindgren and Fox are sick surprises.

ADA had a breakout year.

The team being in playoff contention is a pleasant surprise. Quinn's done a great job.

Am I going to credit a GM with throwing money at the best UFA available, or Trouba and Fox forcing their way to NY?

No. No, I'm not.

Sorry I don't have blind love for all things Rangers.

In your list Gorton made the trades for Zib, ADA, and Lindgren. He also hired Quinn.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

Did you watch the video clip?
Lol, no. But no one here has ever brought up GM of the year.

My point was, you've said before this video and contract extension came out that Gorton has done nothing but but get lucky with UFAs and the draft lottery. That's not true.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Lol, no. But no one here has ever brought up GM of the year.

My point was, you've said before this video and contract extension came out that Gorton has done nothing but but get lucky with UFAs and the draft lottery. That's not true.

I'll give you half a point on that lol. I've been hard on Gorton because I think people give him alot of credit for easy moves like Panarin, Fox, and Trouba. The McD trade also underwhelmed. Picking Andersson...

But you're right, I don't give him enough credit for the good stuff.

I'll give you half a point on that lol. I've been hard on Gorton because I think people give him alot of credit for easy moves like Panarin, Fox, and Trouba. The McD trade also underwhelmed. Picking Andersson...

But you're right, I don't give him enough credit for the good stuff.

Sure it's easy to nitpick every single move, especially in hindsight, but he's built a good foundation. He needs to find a LW for the 3rd line, and a LD to play with Trouba. After that it's on the kids to grow.

And speaking of kids grow. Gauthier trade may be a gem too.

Sure it's easy to nitpick every single move, especially in hindsight, but he's built a good foundation. He needs to find a LW for the 3rd line, and a LD to play with Trouba. After that it's on the kids to grow.

And speaking of kids grow. Gauthier trade may be a gem too.

It's not really nitpicking. It's just not giving him credit for things he's shouldn't get credit for. If Gorton was in in Ottawa he wouldn't have Panarin, Trouba, or Fox.

Good call on Gauthier, though.

It's not really nitpicking. It's just not giving him credit for things he's shouldn't get credit for. If Gorton was in in Ottawa he wouldn't have Panarin, Trouba, or Fox.

Good call on Gauthier, though.

Probably not, but let's play it out for a sec.

Trouba didn't force his way to NY. He forced his way out of Winnipeg. We know he had a shortlist and we were on it. Gorton does deserve credit for the deal here - however it plays out.

Fox forced his way here. I think we paid a price, and it looks to be worth every penny. I'd hate to see the competition on him right now had we not.

Panarin? He absolutely deserves the nod. Columbus offered him 15 million more, and the Islanders offered him 11 more. He chose us and left 8 figures over 7-8 years on the table.

Probably not, but let's play it out for a sec.

Trouba didn't force his way to NY. He forced his way out of Winnipeg. We know he had a shortlist and we were on it. Gorton does deserve credit for the deal here - however it plays out.

Fox forced his way here. I think we paid a price, and it looks to be worth every penny. I'd hate to see the competition on him right now had we not.

Panarin? He absolutely deserves the nod. Columbus offered him 15 million more, and the Islanders offered him 11 more. He chose us and left 8 figures over 7-8 years on the table.

Everyone and their mother knew Trouba wanted NY.

Also, stop with Panarin. He wanted NY and Islanders were never a contender. If he got Panarin at 9 and not 11 I'd agree with you.

You can’t hold the fact he’s Rangers GM against him.

He’s done a great job restocking the prospect pipeline.

The Zib trade is incredible. The Nash trade a home run. Getting AdA in the Step trade. Moving Skjei for a 1st. You had a fair share of people torching him for over paying in the Fox deal.

The McD trade isn’t looking good, and there are a couple of contractual moves he’d probably like back.

All in all he’s done a very good job here imo.

You can?t hold the fact he?s Rangers GM against him.

He?s done a great job restocking the prospect pipeline.

The Zib trade is incredible. The Nash trade a home run. Getting AdA in the Step trade. Moving Skjei for a 1st. You had a fair share of people torching him for over paying in the Fox deal.

The McD trade isn?t looking good, and there are a couple of contractual moves he?d probably like back.

All in all he?s done a very good job here imo.

I don't hold anything against him.

I don't give him credit for being an NY GM.

This really isn't hard to track and I don't get why people try to argue against it with proof points outside the criteria.

I didn't say he was a bad GM. I said he's been extremely fortunate because he's in New York.

He's a decent GM with the Good Fortune to be operating in a big ticket big market. Both things are true.

Another classic example of people trying to say I'm argumentative, when they're all being argumentative and arguing for the sake of arguing.

I’m not saying you’re argumentative.

I’m saying calling him “lucky” is neither here nor there. His work as GM isn’t defined by getting Panarin and Trouba to play in New York. He’s taken a worthless farm system and completely revitalised it. He’s the first Rangers GM in living memory with the stones to fully commit to a rebuild.

He’s made some great deals. He’s made some mistakes. In a few years time we’ll know if he succeeded or not. It’ll have little to do with luck or being handed freebies as Rangers GM either way.

I?m not saying you?re argumentative.

I?m saying calling him ?lucky? is neither here nor there. His work as GM isn?t defined by getting Panarin and Trouba to play in New York. He?s taken a worthless farm system and completely revitalised it. He?s the first Rangers GM in living memory with the stones to fully commit to a rebuild.

He?s made some great deals. He?s made some mistakes. In a few years time we?ll know if he succeeded or not. It?ll have little to do with luck or being handed freebies as Rangers GM either way.

It is "here" though LOL.

The moves he gets the most credit for would not have been made if he wasn't in NY.

He's a middle of the road GM across the board based on his own merit.

The Trouba deal is a shining example. Get the player because he wanted to be in NY... Pay the player top dollar... Why?

When I look at Gorton across his peers I see him getting high fives because the team is OK but Dorian getting ragged when Dorian has actually managed his assets and cap way better.

It is "here" though LOL.

The moves he gets the most credit for would not have been made if he wasn't in NY.

He's a middle of the road GM across the board based on his own merit.

The Trouba deal is a shining example. Get the player because he wanted to be in NY... Pay the player top dollar... Why?

When I look at Gorton across his peers I see him getting high fives because the team is OK but Dorian getting ragged when Dorian has actually managed his assets and cap way better.

Based on his own merit Gorton just got a well deserved extension in one of the most demanding markets in the NHL. There has been nothing ?middle of the road? about his tenure here. Gorton had us in position both in terms of cap space and an improving roster to make this a more attractive destination.

Based on his own merit Gorton just got a well deserved extension in one of the most demanding markets in the NHL. There has been nothing ?middle of the road? about his tenure here. Gorton had us in position both in terms of cap space and an improving roster to make this a more attractive destination.

What? Cap space? He bought out Shattenkirk when he didn't have to, and he's probably going to buy out Lundqvist because he didn't trade Geo to Toronto when many reports say he could've gotten Rasmus Sandin...

Oh lordy talk about a take with no substance behind it.

I’m not convinced it’s true the Panarin and Trouba deals is what people are giving him most credit for.

It’s certainly not how I see it.

It's not how most of us see it, but he still gets credit for both. Moreso Panarin. He stuck to his guns there. He could have offered him 13M and made sure he got him, but he gave a best offer he was comfortable with from a team cap perspective and stuck to his guns. He was ready to move on without him if necessary. Some people don't acknowledge, or understand, this part of negotiation. Credit where credit is due. Countless GMs fearfully up their offers to exorbitant levels. He didn't blink.

I?m not convinced it?s true the Panarin and Trouba deals is what people are giving him most credit for.

It?s certainly not how I see it.

This is how I see it.

Strome is a good player who's in a fortunate position to score at a rate higher than he normally would because of where he is in the lineup. But I wouldn't pay Strome based on his point totals this year.

Similarly, Gorton is a good GM who has the fortune of being in a city a lot of players want to play in, with a bankroll that allowed him to erase his own mistakes in Shattenkirk and throw money at Panarin.

But I wouldn't call him GM of the year or give him high fives for Panarin, Fox, Trouba, the #2 overall falling in his lap, etc...

His mismanagement of the cap meant he had to trade Skjei for space rather than trading to address a need (Like getting Trocek), didn't move Geo when Geo was at his peak... Etc.

That guy is like the baseball player who only hits .270 but when he actually manages to make contact its a home run.