• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why isn't Kaapo Kakko in the AHL?

Phil

Hey I?ve never liked how this coach works with kids...
Chytil is improving.

ADA improved.

Fox... Dunno how much credit Quinn gets there.

Lindgren went from 9th man up to top 6.

Don't see how a coach gets blamed for slow feet, bad decision making or poor puck protection (supposedly his fort?).

He'll be fine eventually. But today... He's not good.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two guys that were yelling to rebuild while the team was competing for the cup are the first to complain about an 18 year old #2 pick in his first half a season of hockey.

#BSBH

That's hyperbole. I love Kakko. I also think Kakko should be in the AHL.

The fact that you hate Hartford stops you from wrapping your mind around it being a necessary stepping stone for some... Many... Players.

Chytil is improving.

ADA improved.

Fox... Dunno how much credit Quinn gets there.

Lindgren went from 9th man up to top 6.

Don't see how a coach gets blamed for slow feet, bad decision making or poor puck protection (supposedly his fort?).

He'll be fine eventually. But today... He's not good.

Chytil improved the most when away from the team.

ADA is a difference with more icetime, as with a Buchnevich when he’s on. Same for Lemieux. (“Put then in a place to be successful”)

Fox - I might give that one to Quinn. He’s playing his best hockey.

Lindgren I’ve liked since the acquisition

I think we also have to be patient with expectations with young guys. Most of the guys you mention are 23. Strome and Zibanejad have taken huge strides as well.

And I did praise Quinn for continuing to play Kakko

An argument though can be made that keeping him up in a way is less patient than letting his game develop in the A.

I guess I just don’t understand how an 18 year old 1st round draft pick in Chytil was okay to go up and down multiple times in his first few years but Kakko isn’t. Both were from Europe, came over at a very young age, 1st round picks, looked overwhelmed at first, etc.

Is it just because he was number 2 overall or because the hype machine and worn jerseys at msg make this tougher?

OK so maybe Kakko should go away from the team?

Wouldn't patience be letting him marinate in AHL?

:angry:

I think the best thing for him right now is playing in the nhl. Doesn’t have to be every night, doesn’t have to be 15 minister a game. Especially the practice time and off ice work, extremely important.

At this point, I'm not really sure what sending him down does. I can see the argument if we're sitting here on Feb 25, we're still seeing these things, we've sold off the UFA group and the environment is gonna get a little bit doom and gloom. Nothing to learn from a lost season - hit the minors, tear it up, help Kravtsov and Keane and the kids get the fire for playing in NYC, win a Calder Cup, etc.

Right now, the learning experience of just how much tougher the NHL really is than Liiga - skill, season duration, ice space, ice time, size, what works, what doesn't - all the rigors? That's probably of more value.

Then you had unrealistic expectations. My lineup always had him as a third liner.

Where offense goes to die? What does that say for your expectations of such a high pick? "Jesper Fast will outscore him, and that's good?"

At this point, I'm not really sure what sending him down does. I can see the argument if we're sitting here on Feb 25, we're still seeing these things, we've sold off the UFA group and the environment is gonna get a little bit doom and gloom. Nothing to learn from a lost season - hit the minors, tear it up, help Kravtsov and Keane and the kids get the fire for playing in NYC, win a Calder Cup, etc.

Right now, the learning experience of just how much tougher the NHL really is than Liiga - skill, season duration, ice space, ice time, size, what works, what doesn't - all the rigors? That's probably of more value.

If he doesn't realize how hard it is by now he never will.

Two guys that were yelling to rebuild while the team was competing for the cup are the first to complain about an 18 year old #2 pick in his first half a season of hockey.

#BSBH

I don't agree with you often but I agree with you here.

Just relax on this kid, my god. His career is 40 some-odd games old. If the best spot for him is the AHL the Rangers will send him there. They've proven that with Chytil, Lindgren, Sheterkin, and now Hajek. I don't suppose the Rangers are just throwing him to the wolves and hoping for the best.

• Like 1

I don't agree with you often but I agree with you here.

Just relax on this kid, my god. His career is 40 some-odd games old. If the best spot for him is the AHL the Rangers will send him there. They've proven that with Chytil, Lindgren, Sheterkin, and now Hajek. I don't suppose the Rangers are just throwing him to the wolves and hoping for the best.

This kid will be fine.

It’s a HUGE adjustment

And the Rangers will send him there if they think it's best...

I'm aware. If all we're going to do is appeal to authority, then what's the point of having this forum? We're talking about what we think the team should do.

I'm aware. If all we're going to do is appeal to authority, then what's the point of having this forum? We're talking about what we think the team should do.

The Rangers aren't "authority." They're a hockey team. And it's okay to agree with how they're running things.

The Rangers aren't "authority." They're a hockey team. And it's okay to agree with how they're running things.

And to disagree.

development. Learning the nhl game. Practices. Training.

Literally all of which is accomplished with a leading role in the AHL — the single greatest tool for developing NHL players that exists in this world.

And to disagree.

Literally all of which is accomplished with a leading role in the AHL — the single greatest tool for developing NHL players that exists in this world.

no. Practice and training aren't the same. He gets to practice against NHL players in a daily basis. Learn routines of Zibanejad and Panarin. Invaluable experience. They should have got him a Finnish teammate, though.

I just don't see how Hartford helps him as much as this team does

Maybe two more Finns so they can have their own line. Nothing else is working so why not try that. I don't understand where the line is to catering to the guy who hasn't shown he's ready to play here so far. Hopefully they find the line here at some point. I don't think a quota of Finns is the right way to go about it but that's just me.

Game log last 8 games:

TOI:

9:09

12:33

12:59

13:11

13:19

14:42

17:30

16:13

Bolded are last 2 games - he's getting more ice time. But he's got to take advantage of the opportunity, otherwise you'd expect his ice time to drop down again, or a trip to the AHL

I've seen enough. Kid needs confidence. He needs to be sent down. Maybe during the all-star break? He needs to get more minutes and to be put in a major scoring role in the AHL to gain confidence and momentum. Obviously they need to tell him that that's why he's being sent down, before they do it..

Then again, who takes his spot? Not much in the forward department to call up. Do we really want to see Lettieri again?