Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oilers Trade Milan Lucic to Flames for James Neal

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend

Oilers Trade Milan Lucic to Flames for James Neal

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    God, hockey in Western Canada is fucking depressing.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Why would the Flames make this trade?

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Squirt Division RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    If Lucic can be traded I don't see how the Rangers can't trade Shattenkirk somehow.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post
    Why would the Flames make this trade?

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Neal was relegated to the 4th line last year. Lucic would be a better 4th liner for them than Neal. Money is a wash.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Truth, this is just crap for crap.

Both are gambling, but Neal probably returns to form faster than Luc.

This this is all about Johnny getting protection.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Oh what fun it is getting together and swapping terrible contracts!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Truth, this is just crap for crap.

Both are gambling, but Neal probably returns to form faster than Luc.

This this is all about Johnny getting protection.
    Neal can still skate. It's a win for the Oilers.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by RJWantsTheCup View Post
    If Lucic can be traded I don't see how the Rangers can't trade Shattenkirk somehow.
    Completely different circumstances. Brooks has said repeatedly that there's no market for Shattenkirk except in the event they take back an onerous contract like the Oilers just did here.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Completely different circumstances. Brooks has said repeatedly that there's no market for Shattenkirk except in the event they take back an onerous contract like the Oilers just did here.
    Not that you want to think of it exactly like that, but Shattenkirk is at least an average defender per Corsi.

I think there's got to be a team out there with a need for a PPQB and mid-level defense at, say, 4.5m.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Not that you want to think of it exactly like that, but Shattenkirk is at least an average defender per Corsi.

I think there's got to be a team out there with a need for a PPQB and mid-level defense at, say, 4.5m.
    There isn't. Not anymore. That window, if it ever existed, closed up tighter than a snare drum when TOR traded for Barrie.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    One of the guys at The Athletic suggested this trade might happen a couple of weeks back, and was absolutely torched by Flames fans in the comments. I bet they’re happy now.
    I really don’t like this trade from a Flames perspective. Feels like a knee jerk reaction from being dumped out early, watching the Blues win and deciding they needed to “get tougher”.
    It’s a no brainer for the Oilers though. Lucic wasn’t doing anything there, and it’s 100% worth gambling on Neal rediscovering his game on the wing of either McDavid or Draisaitl.

The deal also includes a conditional 3rd for the Flames if Neal outscores Lucic by 10 goals, which seems like a pretty good bet to happen.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    The deal also includes a conditional 3rd for the Flames if Neal outscores Lucic by 10 goals, which seems like a pretty good bet to happen.
    If that happens its a win for Flames I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

HNIC BSBH Legend
    When a head scratcher deal happens, any deal really, there's always backstory.

Wouldn't be surprised if Neal complained about his experience in Calgary, and Calgary turned around and said... "Oh yea? Try this in for size..."

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    TFW you think Calgary is awful and you get shipped 300 miles North.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Hah, they're literally gambling on stats. This is degenerative Alberta at its finest.
    Hidden Content

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    No real winners or losers here.
    I think Neal has a bit more potential to produce near his contract value.

Maybe Calgary needed a shot of leadership or whatever the hell it is Lucic brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    No real winners or losers here.
    I think Neal has a bit more potential to produce near his contract value.

Maybe Calgary needed a shot of leadership or whatever the hell it is Lucic brings.

I can only guess here, but I think their idea is that Neal wasn't cracking their top 6 in a month of Sundays, and Lucic might add a bit of physicality and snarl to their bottom 6 that they've been lacking. Not that I necessarily agree with it, but if I had to guess that's what I'd go for.

The one thing I think Calgary can offer that Edmonton can't re: Lucic is a better team overall, which can allow them to stash him down the lineup with better results. He'll be a drag regardless, but the quality of Calgary's depth is superior, which can at least somewhat mitigate his negative impact. Maybe.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast