Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Must Decide Whether to Keep or Deal Kreider

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Brock Nelson just signed 6 years $6m a year for what that is worth.
    Bad sign for signing Kreider to something remotely reasonable. I'd take Kreider over Nelson all day long and by a significant margin.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Thatís fair money and term for Nelson and for the Islanders to keep and pay one of their own

Thatís a fair market price for Kreider too. But Iíd probably pass. I donít know that a commitment like that in money and term makes sense for them at the stage their in right now
    All true. Now with Nelson signed there is a reality to what keeping kreider will cost. 6x6 is fair but does it make sense? Iím not sure

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Bad sign for signing Kreider to something remotely reasonable. I'd take Kreider over Nelson all day long and by a significant margin.
    And that’s why Kreider will make more
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    All true. Now with Nelson signed there is a reality to what keeping kreider will cost. 6x6 is fair but does it make sense? I’m not sure
    It just doesnt to me, anyway I look at it. Love the guy. And the 6-7 million range is fair money nowadays for a top-6 winger who is a very nice complimentary piece.

But I think that they’ll want that money for other things in pretty short order.
    And let’s face it, while Kreider could very well go elsewhere and blossom into the 35 goal guy that he probably should be, right now he’s a 25 goal guy and wingers who can score 25 are pretty commonplace and reasonable in price to acquire. They can find his production in a younger player down the road.

Trade him.
    Put him in a package and get another higher pick and continue building fir the future

I’m good with that but then don’t be signing win now free agents

I’m good with that but then don’t be signing win now free agents
    Who would you categorize as a win now free agent?

Karlsson, panarin, duchene

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Kreider for Kessel
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Kreider for Kessel
    I wanted to immediately reply with

But looking at whats left of his his contract its not quite as awful as I anticipated..... that being said, his hair and general "dude who mails bombs to people" or "dude who sells meth from an ice cream truck" look make it a hard no.

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    It just doesnt to me, anyway I look at it. Love the guy. And the 6-7 million range is fair money nowadays for a top-6 winger who is a very nice complimentary piece.

But I think that theyíll want that money for other things in pretty short order.
    And letís face it, while Kreider could very well go elsewhere and blossom into the 35 goal guy that he probably should be, right now heís a 25 goal guy and wingers who can score 25 are pretty commonplace and reasonable in price to acquire. They can find his production in a younger player down the road.

Trade him.
    Put him in a package and get another higher pick and continue building for the future
    Iím good with that but then donít be signing win now free agents
    Agreed boys!!! This is not a win now type team, and next year's draft is sounding like it's going to have some special players. Getting a very high draft pick may just be what the doctor ordered. Putting yet another generational player with the likes of Hughes/Kakko will make leaps and bounds of sense over resigning a Free agent to any long term deal in my book.

Our time will come when we'll need to sign a biggie....I don't think now is that time. BUT, when that time does come (...and it will again!) it will be great to know we'll have the cap space and freedom to do so with ease!!

Staying the course!!!

Senior Member Midget Division
    @Ozzy - Agreeing with this. Swallow hard everyone and prep for another challenging season to build a solid foundation. I can watch another 'rebuild' season just as long as we stay competitive and get to see plenty of newbies on the bench. Oh yeah, and some changes on D. Take a step forward and don't try to run too fast. We're not winning the Cup in 2018-19.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Agreed boys!!! This is not a win now type team, and next year's draft is sounding like it's going to have some special players. Getting a very high draft pick may just be what the doctor ordered. Putting yet another generational player with the likes of Hughes/Kakko will make leaps and bounds of sense over resigning a Free agent to any long term deal in my book.

Our time will come when we'll need to sign a biggie....I don't think now is that time. BUT, when that time does come (...and it will again!) it will be great to know we'll have the cap space and freedom to do so with ease!!

Staying the course!!!
    agreed. in looking at cap friendly we just look so much better financially a year from now.
    Acqua in bocca

(╯į□į)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keep him. Try resigning him at 6.5 x 3-4 years if possible. At some point you have to keep certain players as a core and with the ability to lead all these younger players. Can't just continually be drafting and drafting.

Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Keep him. Try resigning him at 6.5 x 3-4 years if possible. At some point you have to keep certain players as a core and with the ability to lead all these younger players. Can't just continually be drafting and drafting.
    I simply think Kreider is going to want more than that in $$$ and term. He's certainly entitled to his desires, and has done a good job so far. I don't think it's in the Ranger's best interest to sign and keep a player as inconsistent as CK. It's rebuild time and he's a fairly valuable asset right now. I also don't see Kreider as part of this team 3 years down the road, where he may be blocking the path of a #1 draft pick of 2020 or 2021 who can very well be another Kakko or Hughes.

As Jimi once said so eloquently, "Move over, Rover!"

I see your point though Keirik, and I think Kredier has been a pretty good Ranger as well. It's just an eye towards 3 years down the pike for me, and I wanna see them build through the draft and our current young players. I'm gonna root like hell for this youngsters this season, and I wanna see them learn and grow as team together for years to come!

Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    @Ozzy - Agreeing with this. Swallow hard everyone and prep for another challenging season to build a solid foundation. I can watch another 'rebuild' season just as long as we stay competitive and get to see plenty of newbies on the bench. Oh yeah, and some changes on D. Take a step forward and don't try to run too fast. We're not winning the Cup in 2018-19.
    Hey Big guy!!

It's gonna be a little more fun this year with the addition of Kakko...or Hughes, doesn't matter. These kids are going to be so fun to watch, and I'm sure they'll have "their moments" this year, but all good! We have a direction, good leadership, and something extremely important: HOPE!

That’s all fair
    Though I think that that is least the case with Panarin. He’s so gifted and productive offensively that he’s a cornerstone type piece. And he’s not as old nor does he have the injury concerns that come with Karlsson. If they got him, I would not be upset by it, but they could pass on him too and I’d be cool with it.

My concern is that the organization after 2 years of rebuilding and missing the playoffs wants to really try and take a big step forward this offseason with an aim to be very much in the playoff picture this coming season. Personally I wouldn’t mind them taking it slow still and going through another season of rebuilding and getting another high pick in June of 2020.
    That to me would be the best way for them to set themselves up very well in the long-term.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Trading Kreider for a first and signing Panarin still doesn't make us that much better with this shit show defense.

You can make that move and still be bad enough to get a high pick in a very deep draft next year, plus another first for Kreider.

That’s all fair
    Though I think that that is least the case with Panarin. He’s so gifted and productive offensively that he’s a cornerstone type piece. And he’s not as old nor does he have the injury concerns that come with Karlsson. If they got him, I would not be upset by it, but they could pass on him too and I’d be cool with it.

My concern is that the organization after 2 years of rebuilding and missing the playoffs wants to really try and take a big step forward this offseason with an aim to be very much in the playoff picture this coming season. Personally I wouldn’t mind them taking it slow still and going through another season of rebuilding and getting another high pick in June of 2020.
    That to me would be the best way for them to set themselves up very well in the long-term.
    That would be the best step forward in my opinion too. History tells me your concerns are warranted and probably likely. If signing panarin is their move then wouldn’t keeping kreider make sense if that’s the case? If the argument is what is kreider 4-6 years from now isn’t it valid to have the same concerns with panarin at more years? The bigger risk is panarin in my opinion only because of sticker price. Realistically in years 5-7 of panarin should be prime years of contention for this team. Him living up to $12m in those years will be vital. How can anybody make a logical argument to pretend to know what he will be in those years? Good bad or whatever.

That would be the best step forward in my opinion too. History tells me your concerns are warranted and probably likely. If signing panarin is their move then wouldn’t keeping kreider make sense if that’s the case? If the argument is what is kreider 4-6 years from now isn’t it valid to have the same concerns with panarin at more years? The bigger risk is panarin in my opinion only because of sticker price. Realistically in years 5-7 of panarin should be prime years of contention for this team. Him living up to $12m in those years will be vital. How can anybody make a logical argument to pretend to know what he will be in those years? Good bad or whatever.
    yet you keep trying to make one against it.

With long-term contracts, you should be looking at the 3-5 year range. Will the player be effective, and worth the contract, during those seasons?

Beyond 5 years, who knows. You have lockouts, cba changes, contracts changes, cap ceiling changes, cap % changes, compliance buyouts, etc

In 4 years, when the team is in need of that, the cap ceiling doesnt go up, max contract lengths are 5 years, and now most cap hits are 10-15m. 7 years ago, Karlsson signed for an inflated 6.5m per season. Now that's what Josh Bailey's make per season.

Whoops not bailey, that other doofus

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast