Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Pronman: Why Kaapo Kakko could be considered with the No. 1 pick in the NHL draft

  1. #1
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,422
    Rep Power
    387

    Pronman: Why Kaapo Kakko could be considered with the No. 1 pick in the NHL draft

    https://theathletic.com/902206/2019/.../?redirected=1

    Kaapo​ Kakko has been phenomenal in​ Finland​ for​ the past two years, establishing himself​ as​​ a premier prospect for the 2019 NHL Draft.

    Today we’ll look at why he’s in the conversation as one of the top two in this draft class, why some teams would consider him with the No. 1 pick and what he brings to an NHL team.

    ...

    I’ve seen highly skilled players like Kakko before. What I don’t typically see are 17-year-old forwards with his skill who can win pucks from grown men consistently.

    ...

    He’s not exactly an overly mean type of physical player, nor is he what you think of as a “power forward” from prior decades. But he’s strong and shows no hesitation to get into the dirty areas. He’s also not doing this because he filled out early. He’s 6-foot-2 and 194 pounds. There is still room to fill out in his frame.

    Kakko’s ability to make highly skilled plays with the puck is high-end, if not elite. He’s got the ability to make the flashy dekes to create chances.

    ...

    Kakko is a top prospect because he has so many high-end elements. I’ve talked to scouts who feel his compete level is his best trait, scouts who feel his hands are his best trait, as well as scouts who feel his hockey sense is his best trait.
    Ignore the title. This is an excellent profile on Kakko. It's basically erotica for Rangers fans right now.

  2. #2
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,728
    Rep Power
    134
    LETS GO
    GORTON 2020

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    66
    I find myself worrying Kakko is going to have a really strong grown-up Worlds and change Shero's mind.
    For reasons I can't explain I feel more comfortable picking him over Hughes.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,084
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I find myself worrying Kakko is going to have a really strong grown-up Worlds and change Shero's mind.
    For reasons I can't explain I feel more comfortable picking him over Hughes.
    Its probably his strength at his age, while Hughes looks like a stiff breeze could knock him over. Hughes looks far more electric/dynamic though with his superb skating and puck handling.

  5. #5
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,036
    Rep Power
    473
    I see a lot of Rick Nash/Peter Forsberg in Kakko. Incredible stick work in tight.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  6. #6
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16,929
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Its probably his strength at his age, while Hughes looks like a stiff breeze could knock him over. Hughes looks far more electric/dynamic though with his superb skating and puck handling.
    I think seeing players like Panarin, Gaudreau, Kane, Zucc - size doesn't really matter as much in the calculus anymore. A speedy, skilled, small player can be really damned effective in today's NHL.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  7. #7
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16,929
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I see a lot of Rick Nash/Peter Forsberg in Kakko. Incredible stick work in tight.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Nash seems like an apt comparison. He's got a hunger for scoring in a way that I don't think we've seen on the Rangers in a LONG time.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Its probably his strength at his age, while Hughes looks like a stiff breeze could knock him over. Hughes looks far more electric/dynamic though with his superb skating and puck handling.


    Well, that's part of it. Also the fact the Rangers need goalscoring more than probably anything else. Hughes is definitely a pass first type of guy.
    I guess I just like the complete package Kakko appears to be.

  9. #9
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,694
    Rep Power
    323
    Brooks reffering to him as 6'1 is driving me nuts.

  10. #10
    Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I find myself worrying Kakko is going to have a really strong grown-up Worlds and change Shero's mind.
    For reasons I can't explain I feel more comfortable picking him over Hughes.
    I'm hanging my hat at this point on the fact that Shero used to be Daddy Jim Hughes's agent, so he has a strong family connection, and the fact that Jack has been skating with Taylor Hall in summer the last couple years. Flimsy hooks indeed, but it's all I got for now.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    3,801
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    I'm hanging my hat at this point on the fact that Shero used to be Daddy Jim Hughes's agent, so he has a strong family connection, and the fact that Jack has been skating with Taylor Hall in summer the last couple years. Flimsy hooks indeed, but it's all I got for now.
    Before 8pm yesterday, if they said your consolation prize is Jack Hughes, would you be upset? Let's not minimize (pun intended) how good Hughes is just because we feel that Kakko is more likely to be ours. Hughes is a stud.

  12. #12
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,874
    Rep Power
    56
    I’m pretty sure we’re gonna end up with Hughes and I’m absolutely thrilled.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Before 8pm yesterday, if they said your consolation prize is Jack Hughes, would you be upset? Let's not minimize (pun intended) how good Hughes is just because we feel that Kakko is more likely to be ours. Hughes is a stud.
    Don't get me wrong. We would have a game changer with either. But, like others on here, have thought for awhile now Kappo would be a supernatural fit with the gestalt that Quinn is building.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    66
    Let's be clear; Hughes is no consolation prize. If we get him it would be fucking incredible.
    I'll be over the moon with either one.

  15. #15
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,694
    Rep Power
    323
    I like Kakko more because he's thicc, but Hughes would solve the C question, no doubt.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    3,801
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    Don't get me wrong. We would have a game changer with either. But, like others on here, have thought for awhile now Kappo would be a supernatural fit with the gestalt that Quinn is building.
    I don't disagree but if the Devils decide to take Kakko we still have a huge win with Hughes. I was pumped last night. Today I'm still giddy! What a dramatic turn of events for us!

  17. #17
    Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I don't disagree but if the Devils decide to take Kakko we still have a huge win with Hughes. I was pumped last night. Today I'm still giddy! What a dramatic turn of events for us!
    Aces either way.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Junior Division
    BlairBettsBlocksEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,440
    Rep Power
    83
    might be an '04 draft situation (Ovi-Malkin) where you really can't go wrong either way.

    I really can't see the Devils passing on Hughes though. Him centering Hall and allowing Hischier to get 2nd line matchups would really be a major boost for them.
    __________________________________

  19. #19
    Senior Member Midget Division
    paddynyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    3,190
    Rep Power
    23
    Picking 2nd puts no pressure on the Rangers
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

  20. #20
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,036
    Rep Power
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I like Kakko more because he's thicc, but Hughes would solve the C question, no doubt.
    Everything here.

    I know small isn't a pejorative anymore (or won't be for much longer), but I'm predisposed to that bigger frame on a hockey player, for sure. Especially if it doesn't come at the expense of being able to keep up.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •