• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Let's Talk About Tony DeAngelo

Gravesy

The more time that passes, the less I understand what the Rangers are thinking with this guy.

There are obviously flaws to both his game and his personality. This was well known at the time they made him a key piece of a significant trade, so it shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone. Yet, here we are.

You would think that this season, the first year of an official rebuild, would be the time to learn what they have in him. Yet he seems to have the shortest leash of anyone on the roster, and is continuously in street clothes whilst players that can only be described as placeholders are getting valuable ice time.

That would've been fine if he was a total disaster on the ice and clearly nowhere near the standard required to play in the NHL. But that's not really the case. Yes, he makes mistakes. Yes, he takes dumb ass penalties. Sometimes costly ones. But he also shows offensive upside that I'm not seeing from anyone else in the system. And that potential is worth something. Either to the Rangers or someone else. His ppg is roughly the same as Pionk's, yet Pionk has the longest leash of anyone bar possibly Brett Howden. And let's not pretend he doesn't have his own defensive warts to contend with. Also Pionk has been on the PP1 all year long. What if DeAngelo was given a similar opportunity? What would his production look like? What would his value to the Rangers be, either as a player or as a trading chip?

We just don't know. And that's the problem.

You'd be excused for thinking Quinn/the Rangers have more or less given up on him. And we don't know what he's like in the locker room, in practice etc. Obviously you have to earn your place in the roster both in terms of your play and how you carry yourself. Maybe it's the right call, maybe he's a complete prick and a cancer in the dressing room. But if that's the case, what the fuck is he still doing here?

I realize there's no new information in this post. I just don't understand what they're trying to do with him and it's annoying because it feels like a total waste of an asset. I'm venting, basically.

Maybe someone on here can help me understand it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's [emoji817] attitude, IMO.

Seems he might have a sense of entitlement that maybe Pionk doesn't have?

His temper and poor body language are apparent even on TV.

Agree with this. I think that's the issue that's plagued him his whole career. I think the apple doesn't fall far from the tree here too. I remember some real douchy quotes from his dad when talking about the college hockey/major junior routes to the NHL.

So the coach is making decisions based on facial expressions over on-ice play?
Cranky today, already?

What coach is going to give ice time to a player with an attitude problem, who takes terrible useless penalties because he can't control his temper?

Maybe if he was Erik Karlsson... But he ain't. He's a step above Eric Reitz.

They all take useless penalties.

His play has been similar to Pionk. So we are talking the dman with the most minutes, and the one most likely to be scratched.

That's pretty drastic. If his attitude was that bad, he wouldnt be on the team.

It's [emoji817] attitude, IMO.

Seems he might have a sense of entitlement that maybe Pionk doesn't have?

His temper and poor body language are apparent even on TV.

That seems the only logical explanation. Because it cannot be based on actual performance.

But then again, what does that say about the Rangers and how they’ve handled him? His attitude and personal issues were hardly a secret. Did they completely fail to do their homework on him or were they unprepared?

Let’s not forget, this isn’t a throw-in piece where you try your luck and go “oh well” if it doesn’t work. The Rangers traded a no 1 C and a starting quality goalie for him and a pick. So you’d imagine the Rangers would be willing to go pretty far to make it work. Yet here we are, a couple of years down the line, stuck in a halfway house that does nothing for the team, organization or player.

If he’s a prick and not wanted, what is he doing with the Rangers as 1 of 8 defensemen on the roster, dressing for around half the games and sitting for the rest? It’s a ridiculous situation and a horrific waste of an asset and makes fuck all sense.

That seems the only logical explanation. Because it cannot be based on actual performance.

But then again, what does that say about the Rangers and how they?ve handled him? His attitude and personal issues were hardly a secret. Did they completely fail to do their homework on him or were they unprepared?

Let?s not forget, this isn?t a throw-in piece where you try your luck and go ?oh well? if it doesn?t work. The Rangers traded a no 1 C and a starting quality goalie for him and a pick. So you?d imagine the Rangers would be willing to go pretty far to make it work. Yet here we are, a couple of years down the line, stuck in a halfway house that does nothing for the team, organization or player.

If he?s a prick and not wanted, what is he doing with the Rangers as 1 of 8 defensemen on the roster, dressing for around half the games and sitting for the rest? It?s a ridiculous situation and a horrific waste of an asset and makes fuck all sense.

I don't agree that you simply acquiesce to a player with a shit attitude. I don't think it's a situation where the Rangers say "Yea, we knew he was toxic so we just have to let him be, and deal with it".

His temper is fine. 19 of his 37 penalty minutes came in two games.

I can't remember him taking a dumb penalty except for when he went after...Pacioretty? That call was total bullshit, it didn't put the team a man down, and we always talk about guys sticking up for themselves and their teammates, and he was responding to a cheap shot by Pacioretty earlier in the game.

Other than that, are we really going to criticize him for the fight against Columbus or the offsetting unsportsmanlike against Ottawa? His only roughing penalty of the season came late in a blowout loss.

I generally agree that he probably has some kind of attitude problem, but it's not like it has shown up with any consistency on game day. He plays with an edge, which is exactly what we've been wanting guys like Kreider to do for their entire career. Sometimes, that means penalties.

I don't agree that you simply acquiesce to a player with a shit attitude. I don't think it's a situation where the Rangers say "Yea, we knew he was toxic so we just have to let him be, and deal with it".

That's not really what I'm trying to say.

I think coming to the conclusion that his attitude is shit and he's basically a lost cause is unfortunate, but fine if that's how it is. But then you do something about it. What they appear to be doing now is nothing. Fuck all. They've wasted 2 years of everyone's time and most of his value. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but I'm not getting the feeling they've tried various approaches to making it work with him. Keeping him on the team as 1 of 8 d-men and just letting this run its course is a ridiculous state of affairs. Based on what he's showing on the ice he should be playing most games, imo.

If Quinn can't stand his mug and doesn't want him then fair enough, but then you fucking trade him, send him to Hartford or whatever.

That's not really what I'm trying to say.

I think coming to the conclusion that his attitude is shit and he's basically a lost cause is unfortunate, but fine if that's how it is. But then you do something about it. What they appear to be doing now is nothing. Fuck all. They've wasted 2 years of everyone's time and most of his value. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but I'm not getting the feeling they've tried various approaches to making it work with him. Keeping him on the team as 1 of 8 d-men and just letting this run its course is a ridiculous state of affairs. Based on what he's showing on the ice he should be playing most games, imo.

If Quinn can't stand his mug and doesn't want him then fair enough, but then you fucking trade him, send him to Hartford or whatever.

I think he has to pass through waivers.

Isn't keeping him as the 7th D sending a message? Isn't that "doing something"?

I think he has to pass through waivers.

Isn't keeping him as the 7th D sending a message? Isn't that "doing something"?

Not really. It's doing pretty much nothing, because as you say, the alternative is him having to clear waivers to go to Hartford. And apparently they don't have the balls to do that.

So they're keeping him around as 1 of 8, which isn't helping anyone as he needs to play to develop.

Not really. It's doing pretty much nothing, because as you say, the alternative is him having to clear waivers to go to Hartford. And apparently they don't have the balls to do that.

So they're keeping him around as 1 of 8, which isn't helping anyone as he needs to play to develop.

I'm sensing you're making this personal rather than about the team.

Sometimes development is about learning to be a pro, and he's got alot to learn.

They all take useless penalties.

His play has been similar to Pionk. So we are talking the dman with the most minutes, and the one most likely to be scratched.

That's pretty drastic. If his attitude was that bad, he wouldnt be on the team.

I disagree with this. Pionk has played light years better than DeAngelo. DeAngelo is terrible in his own end. Honestly, he hasn't impressed me that much since he has been here. The fact that Pionk jumped over him in the depth chart, and that the coaching staff was going with Claeson over him says a lot.

I am comfortable saying he is the most offensively gifted defenseman we have. I am also comfortable saying he is the worst defender we have. It is a huge problem. I also think others are correct when they bring up attitude, but I don't think attitude is the sole reason. Horrible defensive zone coverage is the main issue IMO. He makes bad decisions and isn't strong on the puck in his own zone.

I disagree with this. Pionk has played light years better than DeAngelo. DeAngelo is terrible in his own end. Honestly, he hasn't impressed me that much since he has been here. The fact that Pionk jumped over him in the depth chart, and that the coaching staff was going with Claeson over him says a lot.

Pionk is horrible in his own end.

Claesson has been solid.

Pionk is horrible in his own end.

Claesson has been solid.

I like Claesson's game, Josh man...not flashy, but tough and reliable!

THAT'S what I wanna see! A tough defenseman who does what they're supposed to do: Take the man, move the puck!

Claesson fits that so far and he's been pretty good!

I think both Pionk and D'Angelo would make great throw in's to help us trade up at the deadline for better picks/prospects.

I'm sensing you're making this personal rather than about the team.

Sometimes development is about learning to be a pro, and he's got alot to learn.

Well, sure. But spending 2 years trying to teach him how to be a pro seems a bit excessive when it comes at the cost of his playing development. Whatever it is they're doing clearly isn't having the desired effect. And the current status quo is detrimental to his value, as a trading chip and as a player.

Again, I don't have the answer. I'm just trying to understand what it is they're trying to achieve with him.

I suspect part of this is also trying to avoid looking like clueless cunts over the Stepan/Rantaa trade.

Awesome stat. Pionk is trash. Total beer leaguer and pond hockey extraordinaire.
But that one play though! They're both still rookies among rookies, but why not give Lindgren and Hajek a shot when we make some D-men trades? If Pionk turns out to be a bottom pair Dman that's cost controlled, it can't hurt us to find out.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I like Claesson's game, Josh man...not flashy, but tough and reliable!

THAT'S what I wanna see! A tough defenseman who does what they're supposed to do: Take the man, move the puck!

Claesson fits that so far and he's been pretty good!

I think both Pionk and D'Angelo would make great throw in's to help us trade up at the deadline for better picks/prospects.

If Claesson improves a bit more, he's similar to Stralman, which I liked.

I agree with Pionk/ADA being involved in a package deal for a better pick or prospect at the deadline.

Archived