• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [D] Nils Lundkvist in 1st Rd. (28th) Pick

Drew a Penalty

Name: Nils Lundkvist

Position: D

Shoots: R

Current Team: Lulea (SHL)

Elite Prospects Profile: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/384079/nils-lundkvist

Current Statistics

HockeyDB.com Page:http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=210202

Team Player Page:https://www.shl.se/lag/1a71-1a71gTHKh__lulea-hf/qRh-8w0YaSEgm__nils-lundkvist

Really nice addition. He's on the "smaller" side but that doesn't mean he's an offensive type. He's a two-way defender in the very sense of the word. Is just smart and calm. Won't wow you with his offense but he can distribute because he's that smart. Really solid defensively for a young kid playing in the SHL. There's a reason why he was considered the best J20 defenseman despite Boqvist lighting up for a near point per game. Lundkvist actually plays defense. Boqvist sometimes does. He's probably around 3-4 years out, but that's okay given the glut of Ranger defensemen in the same age group.

Does not play small and very quick and slick to the puck on D. I like how he grabs loose pucks like a vet and does something productive with it. He's a kid who's #s will get better with more experience because he shows some good skill and tools. Plus his base defensive game is strong already and he will start focusing on O. He's built for a transition game and won't make stupid mistakes. Vert reliable defensively, but when you see him in a game he moves really well and has a sense for what is happening on ice.

Really nice addition. He's on the "smaller" side but that doesn't mean he's an offensive type. He's a two-way defender in the very sense of the word. Is just smart and calm. Won't wow you with his offense but he can distribute because he's that smart. Really solid defensively for a young kid playing in the SHL. There's a reason why he was considered the best J20 defenseman despite Boqvist lighting up for a near point per game. Lundkvist actually plays defense. Boqvist sometimes does. He's probably around 3-4 years out, but that's okay given the glut of Ranger defensemen in the same age group.

Yes calm, very poised. Mature game. So much so that I disagree about 3-4 years. Physically, I can't wait for him to have a professional strength/weight training program. Hockey wise, when I watch him I think all he needs is 1 more year in the SHL and 1 year in the A and he is ready for the Garden.

Yes calm, very poised. Mature game. So much so that I disagree about 3-4 years. Physically, I can't wait for him to have a professional strength/weight training program. Hockey wise, when I watch him I think all he needs is 1 more year in the SHL and 1 year in the A and he is ready for the Garden.

No need to rush him. I'd prefer he gets three years minimum. He's fortunate that the Rangers don't have a lot of right-handed defensemen, but you still have a bunch, in general, coming in with Lindgren, Hajek, and Rykov within the next two seasons in addition to what's already around.

No need to rush him. I'd prefer he gets three years minimum. He's fortunate that the Rangers don't have a lot of right-handed defensemen, but you still have a bunch, in general, coming in with Lindgren, Hajek, and Rykov within the next two seasons in addition to what's already around.

You know I'm not one to rush 18 y/o's let alone a kid who is still 17. Yet, this kid should be on the accelerated dev track of Lindberg and Fast, cause he has more skill and mature game. He should be fine with just one more year in the SHL. Then I'd like to get him over here for strength training and to adjust to the NA ice/game.

Nice and normal. Barring any setbacks, he gets a full year in Hartford, then reports to camp to try and make the team in 2020,

You know I'm not one to rush 18 y/o's let alone a kid who is still 17. Yet, this kid should be on the accelerated dev track of Lindberg and Fast, cause he has more skill and mature game. He should be fine with just one more year in the SHL. Then I'd like to get him over here for strength training and to adjust to the NA ice/game.

Nice and normal. Barring any setbacks, he gets a full year in Hartford, then reports to camp to try and make the team in 2020,

Lindberg spent three post draft seasons in Sweden and then another two in Hartford. Fast spent 3 years in Sweden and a half season in Hartford. Sweden is great at continued development. He'll come when he's ready. D tend to take longer.

I know you're not one to rush, and this is not to take a shot, as I am also intrigued he has been more than holding his own in a man's league ... and I would not be surprised if his trajectory winds up like you call.

But as an aside, I heard an interesting quote Friday night on the radio attributed to I think someone on the Knicks management, maybe Steve Perry,

And I paraphrase from memory-bcs I can't provide a link:

He said, "We are finally doing what a lot of Knicks fans have been asking for for several years, to rebuild with patience —after pulling the plug on it several times— but what I learned about New York is that while fans want the patient rebuild, the very next thing they want is for you to do is 'hurry up the patience.' "

And that might be our NYR predicament fairly soon.

Lindberg spent three post draft seasons in Sweden and then another two in Hartford. Fast spent 3 years in Sweden and a half season in Hartford. Sweden is great at continued development. He'll come when he's ready. D tend to take longer.

Yes yes, you're right and I wanted to clarify better. Accelerated, meaning 2 years in Sweden then come over and see how he does in camp. If its apparent he needs to start in Hartford, no biggie. But yeah, they are doing it right in Sweden and if it is best he spend 3 years in the SHL, so be it. His game is more refined than most Dmen his age. His body is immature.

I know you're not one to rush, and this is not to take a shot, as I am also intrigued he has been more than holding his own in a man's league ... and I would not be surprised if his trajectory winds up like you call.

But as an aside, I heard an interesting quote Friday night on the radio attributed to I think someone on the Knicks management, maybe Steve Perry,

And I paraphrase from memory-bcs I can't provide a link:

He said, "We are finally doing what a lot of Knicks fans have been asking for for several years, to rebuild with patience —after pulling the plug on it several times— but what I learned about New York is that while fans want the patient rebuild, the very next thing they want is for you to do is 'hurry up the patience.' "

And that might be our NYR predicament fairly soon.

Ha ha, right. But that is why you keep some of our vets and make a few short term sensible signings like Grabs and de Haan to fill some holes and add quality depth. Not Holland, DD and other guys I already forgot.

The coach and players go into the season with some hope and talent and build from there. When planning who is taking the ice in the opener, forget about our 1st rounders and even Howden and Hajek, who may get some hype from the beat, but should start (and likely spend a year) in Hartford.

• 5 months later...
Nils Lundkvist, D, New York Rangers

Lundkvist has been solid this season but enters the Sweden camp on the bubble. He?s mobile and very smart, and despite being an 18-year-old without a great year in the SHL, a strong performance at the November U20 tournament gives him a good shot to make the final roster.

Corey Pronman.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...