Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Rangers Draft [RW] Vitali Kravtsov in 1st Rd. (9th) Pick

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Most just saw highlights and said they “watch”
    Depending on the number of highlights you're watching, I'd argue that counts. Enough to make a judgment call, at least. But the ones who matter — the guys who truly follow the game at a prospect level — almost all had Wahlstrom ranked ahead of Kravstov.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Depending on the number of highlights you're watching, I'd argue that counts. But the ones who matter — the guys who truly follow the game at a prospect level — almost all had Wahlstrom ranked ahead of Kravstov.
    The thing about highlights...They don't show lowlights.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The thing about highlights...They don't show lowlights.
    For sure. Which is why I appeal to authority on drafting, generally speaking. Scouts watching kids play all year long know way more than I do, watching sparingly (if at all). But that doesn't remove my ability to criticize the Rangers when they clearly reach for a player universally ranked lower than he's taken. Andersson, for example, or McIlrath in a more extreme case. I don't think it's at all out of bounds to say, on average, taking the 12th ranked player (aggregate) with the 8th pick isn't sound strategy.

If it works out, great. Thus far it appears they're right on Kravstov over Wahlstrom. But the jury is still largely out on both as neither is in the NHL yet.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    For sure. Which is why I appeal to authority on drafting, generally speaking. Scouts watching kids play all year long know way more than I do, watching sparingly (if at all). But that doesn't remove my ability to criticize the Rangers when they clearly reach for a player universally ranked lower than he's taken. Andersson, for example, or McIlrath in a more extreme case. I don't think it's at all out of bounds to say, on average, taking the 12th ranked player (aggregate) with the 8th pick isn't sound strategy.

If it works out, great. Thus far it appears they're right on Kravstov over Wahlstrom. But the jury is still largely out on both as neither is in the NHL yet.
    The small ice is the great equalizer.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Didnt watch the third, today. Didnt seem to have the puck on his stick as much this game, but was always in scoring/shooting position. Teammates failed to give him the puck, though
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Lose 1-0 to SKA. No shame in that.

Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar

Jury's still out on Andersson, I think. I see your overall point though.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Bantam Division NYRangers723's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Didnt watch the third, today. Didnt seem to have the puck on his stick as much this game, but was always in scoring/shooting position. Teammates failed to give him the puck, though
    Yeah thats been a theme all year for that team. Kravstov could have a lot more points if they could finish

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division

I agree in general, but the difference between players ranked 8-12 usually comes down to preference rather than a significant gap in quality.
    It's also worth noting that in Kravtov's case, he really was a late riser due to his playoff performance. Who knows where he'd be ranked if he played a similar role during the regular season. I think with Russian players there's always an element of familiarity or lack thereof. in literally every draft there is a Russian kid going late who turns out to be absolute dynamite.
    I also felt that there's was too little weight given to the effect of Wahlstrom riding shotgun with Jack Hughes. I mean you can only imagine the type of numbers Kravtsov would put up playing alongside Hughes against kids rather than in the KHL.

That being said, we still don't know how this pans out. Maybe they were right, maybe they were wrong. Maybe Wahlstrom comes into the league and pots 40 a season and make them look like total pricks for not selecting him. So far it's looking good though.
    Last edited by Gravesy; 11-17-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I agree in general, but the difference between players ranked 8-12 usually comes down to preference rather than a significant gap in quality.
    It's also worth noting that in Kravtov's case, he really was a late riser due to his playoff performance. Who knows where he'd be ranked if he played a similar role during the regular season. I think with Russian players there's always an element of familiarity or lack thereof. in literally every draft there is a Russian kid going late who turns out to be absolute dynamite.
    I also felt that there's was too little weight given to the effect of Wahlstrom riding shotgun with Jack Hughes. I mean you can only imagine the type of numbers Kravtsov would put up playing alongside Hughes against kids rather than in the KHL.

That being said, we still don't know how this pans out. Maybe they were right, maybe they were wrong. Maybe Wahlstrom comes into the league and pots 40 a season and make them look like total pricks for not selecting him. So far it's looking good though.
    Russian kid going late...paging Nikita Kucherov picked in the second round no.51

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post

More like, can you imagine Hughes' production boost playing with Mogilny Jr amirite?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    He’d be sitting on 400 points imho.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    More like, can you imagine Hughes' production boost playing with Mogilny Jr amirite?
    Hughes won’t be dependent on others for the boost

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011