• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Select [F] Lias Andersson with 7th Overall Pick

ClearedForContact

Andersson is known as being a strong two-way forward with offensive potential. While not being a very large player at 6'0" and 200 lbs, he uses his body to his advantage to control puck possession. His skating is improving though it does not impede his overall play. Andersson sees the ice very well and is very good at distributing the puck. He has a shot that isn't overtly deadly, but very much capable of beating goaltenders. He's more capable of producing offense by working his way into the dirty areas.

The Swede is a very low-risk pick for the New York Rangers given his style of play. He's very disciplined and his two-way game will allow him to transition very nicely to NHL play. He projects as a middle six forward that can play in all situations and his likelihood of playing in the NHL is higher than some of the other players eligible. Andersson would be eligible to play in Hartford during the 2017-18 season should he choose to.

Click here to view the article.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"low risk pick" if he was taken in the third round...

Rangers fans have been clamoring for a top 10 pick for years... happy??

Have to agree here. This pick should have been to take the best player available. You don't get picks like this very often. This is Jamie Lundmark 2.0.

I definitely don't agree with the pick, but it's not terrible. The Rangers are never going to change with their weird reaching. They wanted Makar and missed out so they reached really hard for Andersson because they probably didn't think he'd make it to 21. They should've gone for one of the other centers there, but Andersson has guaranteed NHL future. I'd be more worried about guys like Middlestadt or Tippett.

The second you hear "going off board" when you're in the top-ten, let alone the first round, alarms should be sounding left and right warning you not to do it. The best scouts in the world compile these lists. Fucking listen to them.

So far he's the only kid drafted who the guys on NBC have said can play in the NHL next year. Everyone else has question marks.

Yeah, they probably wanted Makar and tried to get the 3rd pick but I don't hate them going with a guy they really liked. What does it matter if he'd 7th or 15th? Especially if he takes Lindberg's spot immediately.

I'll reserve judgement for a few years. Seems like it's impossible to pick the "right" player. Everyone is an expert apparently.

The Rangers don't often do well when they go off the board so it's definitely worrisome. I'm hopeful given that he's at least a guy who can play next season. He's no more than a second line center though.

Brady Skjei was considered a reach at the time.

So far he's the only kid drafted who the guys on NBC have said can play in the NHL next year. Everyone else has question marks.

Yeah, they probably wanted Makar and tried to get the 3rd pick but I don't hate them going with a guy they really liked. What does it matter if he'd 7th or 15th? Especially if he takes Lindberg's spot immediately.

I'll reserve judgement for a few years. Seems like it's impossible to pick the "right" player. Everyone is an expert apparently.

They have the 7th and 21st picks. Scouts had Andersson projected for 21. That's why you don't take him with 7.

They have the 7th and 21st picks. Scouts had Andersson projected for 21. That's why you don't take him with 7.

Some had him as high as 12. It's not a crazy reach. I don't agree with the pick, but I can see the justification. He's not a McIlrath or Jessiman at least. He just won't be Scheifele.

Some had him as high as 12. It's not a crazy reach. I don't agree with the pick, but I can see the justification. He's not a McIlrath or Jessiman at least. He just won't be Scheifele.

McKenzie, who I consider the gold standard for the Draft, had him at 13. So yeah, you're right. It's not a huge reach, but it's still one I'm not all that comfortable making. I'm sure Andersson will be a fine NHL player. This isn't McIlrath, but considering the cost they paid to draft at seven, it's an underwhelming return.

I definitely don't think trading Stepan was worth Lias Andersson and some cap space, but it's a sunk cost at this point. I can deal with it. Lots of these guys have bust potential. I don't see that with Andersson and many don't.

Yeah, that's arguably the strongest defense of him. He's a near-lock for making the NHL, perhaps as soon as next season. I just wish, given their total lack of boom prospects, that they went for more impact with the pick.

If that's who you want, flip the 7 for 13 or whatever and add a 4th or something.

So frustrating.

But no, it's the old boys last day so let's let him have his way. Fuckin dumb.

Thanks for that Lundy pick 37 years ago, you've done shit since.

No that you are old and senile, we are sending you out the door.

But before you do, throw some shit at the dart board and we'll go with that for first pick.

Yeah, that's arguably the strongest defense of him. He's a near-lock for making the NHL, perhaps as soon as next season. I just wish, given their total lack of boom prospects, that they went for more impact with the pick.

Agreed. I think, depending on what they do with the 21st, that this is salvageable.

Thanks for that Lundy pick 37 years ago, you've done shit since, are old and senile and we are sending you out the door.

But before you do, throw some shit at the dart board and we'll go with that.

LOL

I know scouts, I wouldn't trust them with choosing dinner.

Vilardi seemed more interesting to me. Conservative pick gets us oscar Stephan/Derek Lindberg. With less scoring? Fooking draft someone.with a #7 who can put the puck in the net wouldya! Oh well, Swedes have worked out well in the Nhl if that's hope. Off to Ned it's 1:40 am here.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived