• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Select [F] Lias Andersson with 7th Overall Pick

ClearedForContact

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

From what I've seen I think it's pretty wishful thinking to think that he's going to contribute in any meaningful way in 2018/19.

I hate to say it, but, doesn't he remind you a bit of Jamie Lundmark? Smallish C, drafted later half of Top 10, not a great skater...

Both will be in the nhl season, and for the foreseeable future, and they are still incredibly young. We have 5 seasons before we have to worry about them.

I’m a sucker for speed, but I still like Andersson ‘s game. Both him and Chytil seem to read the play very well, and should continue to grow in the right environment

I like it too, but the skating. It's all about skating. Hopefully it's an overblown concern on my part.

He's a much better skater than Stepan or Hayes at this age.

He's strong on his skates , for his age.

I like it too, but the skating. It's all about skating. Hopefully it's an overblown concern on my part.

Keep in mind he was here for the draft and development camp, went back to Sweden to play in some international junior games, came back for training camp/preseason, went back to Sweden to play in the SHL, back to the US for the WJC, went to Hartford, then the Rangers. Been a long year, gonna finish it up with the World Championships for Sweden. He's played a lot of hockey all over the world. As a teenager. After the World Championships he'll have some time to rest before getting ready for camp. If there's one thing you can't question about him its his drive and work ethic.

Keep in mind he was here for the draft and development camp, went back to Sweden to play in some international junior games, came back for training camp/preseason, went back to Sweden to play in the SHL, back to the US for the WJC, went to Hartford, then the Rangers. Been a long year, gonna finish it up with the World Championships for Sweden. He's played a lot of hockey all over the world. As a teenager. After the World Championships he'll have some time to rest before getting ready for camp. If there's one thing you can't question about him its his drive and work ethic.

Exactly. And at the same time, he is under immense pressure as the absolute top prospect of the organization, who was touted to be near-NHL ready, while Chytil can ride on lesser initial expectations and being more of a very young hit-or-miss-pick. It's not easy for Lias. I think it will do him a world of good to get some continuity either with the Rangers or Hartford and to have another top draftee added to the organization, so he doesn't have to lift all the pressure by himself.

Also, four of the six players drafted before him are still in the juniors or Europe. Lias is progressing very nicely, in my opinion.

He's looked a step slow, I think it's a pretty fair concern.

But the reality is that we won't know what he can be, as a skater, until like 2021.

Archived