PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Select [F] Lias Andersson with 7th Overall Pick

ClearedForContact
06-23-2017, 09:12 PM
Andersson is known as being a strong two-way forward with offensive potential. While not being a very large player at 6'0" and 200 lbs, he uses his body to his advantage to control puck possession. His skating is improving though it does not impede his overall play. Andersson sees the ice very well and is very good at distributing the puck. He has a shot that isn't overtly deadly, but very much capable of beating goaltenders. He's more capable of producing offense by working his way into the dirty areas.

The Swede is a very low-risk pick for the New York Rangers given his style of play. He's very disciplined and his two-way game will allow him to transition very nicely to NHL play. He projects as a middle six forward that can play in all situations and his likelihood of playing in the NHL is higher than some of the other players eligible. Andersson would be eligible to play in Hartford during the 2017-18 season should he choose to.

Click here to view the article. (http://clearedforcontact.com/rangers-select-f-lias-andersson-7th-overall-pick/)

josh
06-23-2017, 09:14 PM
"low risk pick" if he was taken in the third round...

Rangers fans have been clamoring for a top 10 pick for years... happy??

NYR2711
06-23-2017, 09:17 PM
"low risk pick" if he was taken in the third round...

Rangers fans have been clamoring for a top 10 pick for years... happy??

Have to agree here. This pick should have been to take the best player available. You don't get picks like this very often. This is Jamie Lundmark 2.0.

Drew a Penalty
06-23-2017, 09:19 PM
I definitely don't agree with the pick, but it's not terrible. The Rangers are never going to change with their weird reaching. They wanted Makar and missed out so they reached really hard for Andersson because they probably didn't think he'd make it to 21. They should've gone for one of the other centers there, but Andersson has guaranteed NHL future. I'd be more worried about guys like Middlestadt or Tippett.

Phil in Absentia
06-23-2017, 09:22 PM
The second you hear "going off board" when you're in the top-ten, let alone the first round, alarms should be sounding left and right warning you not to do it. The best scouts in the world compile these lists. Fucking listen to them.

ThirtyONE
06-23-2017, 09:24 PM
So far he's the only kid drafted who the guys on NBC have said can play in the NHL next year. Everyone else has question marks.

Yeah, they probably wanted Makar and tried to get the 3rd pick but I don't hate them going with a guy they really liked. What does it matter if he'd 7th or 15th? Especially if he takes Lindberg's spot immediately.

I'll reserve judgement for a few years. Seems like it's impossible to pick the "right" player. Everyone is an expert apparently.

Drew a Penalty
06-23-2017, 09:24 PM
The Rangers don't often do well when they go off the board so it's definitely worrisome. I'm hopeful given that he's at least a guy who can play next season. He's no more than a second line center though.

ThirtyONE
06-23-2017, 09:27 PM
The Rangers don't often do well when they go off the board so it's definitely worrisome. I'm hopeful given that he's at least a guy who can play next season. He's no more than a second line center though.

Brady Skjei was considered a reach at the time.

Drew a Penalty
06-23-2017, 09:28 PM

That's actually not true. He was always ranked 20-30. Most Ranger fans just wanted Matteau.

Puck Head
06-23-2017, 09:29 PM

He actually wasn't.

Mr.wiskers
06-23-2017, 09:30 PM
Should have traded down and gotten an extra pick.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

Phil in Absentia
06-23-2017, 09:30 PM
So far he's the only kid drafted who the guys on NBC have said can play in the NHL next year. Everyone else has question marks.

Yeah, they probably wanted Makar and tried to get the 3rd pick but I don't hate them going with a guy they really liked. What does it matter if he'd 7th or 15th? Especially if he takes Lindberg's spot immediately.

I'll reserve judgement for a few years. Seems like it's impossible to pick the "right" player. Everyone is an expert apparently.

They have the 7th and 21st picks. Scouts had Andersson projected for 21. That's why you don't take him with 7.

josh
06-23-2017, 09:32 PM

no.
and that was a much stronger draft class, too.

They went off the board, at 7, in a weak draft class.

Drew a Penalty
06-23-2017, 09:33 PM
They have the 7th and 21st picks. Scouts had Andersson projected for 21. That's why you don't take him with 7.

Some had him as high as 12. It's not a crazy reach. I don't agree with the pick, but I can see the justification. He's not a McIlrath or Jessiman at least. He just won't be Scheifele.

Phil in Absentia
06-23-2017, 09:33 PM
Going off board—period—is rarely a good idea. Least of all at seven. It's just not good asset management.

Phil in Absentia
06-23-2017, 09:35 PM
Some had him as high as 12. It's not a crazy reach. I don't agree with the pick, but I can see the justification. He's not a McIlrath or Jessiman at least. He just won't be Scheifele.

McKenzie, who I consider the gold standard for the Draft, had him at 13. So yeah, you're right. It's not a huge reach, but it's still one I'm not all that comfortable making. I'm sure Andersson will be a fine NHL player. This isn't McIlrath, but considering the cost they paid to draft at seven, it's an underwhelming return.

Puck Head
06-23-2017, 09:35 PM

Perhaps you are thinking of another player?
Skjei was ranked 19th amongst North American players, and we selected him with 28th pick.

Drew a Penalty
06-23-2017, 09:36 PM
I definitely don't think trading Stepan was worth Lias Andersson and some cap space, but it's a sunk cost at this point. I can deal with it. Lots of these guys have bust potential. I don't see that with Andersson and many don't.

Dunny
If that's who you want, flip the 7 for 13 or whatever and add a 4th or something.

So frustrating.

But no, it's the old boys last day so let's let him have his way. Fuckin dumb.

NYR2711
Going off board—period—is rarely a good idea. Least of all at seven. It's just not good asset management.

This, especially considering what they gave up to get that 7th pick.

Phil in Absentia
06-23-2017, 09:39 PM
I definitely don't think trading Stepan was worth Lias Andersson and some cap space, but it's a sunk cost at this point. I can deal with it. Lots of these guys have bust potential. I don't see that with Andersson and many don't.

Yeah, that's arguably the strongest defense of him. He's a near-lock for making the NHL, perhaps as soon as next season. I just wish, given their total lack of boom prospects, that they went for more impact with the pick.

Puck Head
06-23-2017, 09:40 PM
If that's who you want, flip the 7 for 13 or whatever and add a 4th or something.

So frustrating.

But no, it's the old boys last day so let's let him have his way. Fuckin dumb.

Thanks for that Lundy pick 37 years ago, you've done shit since.

No that you are old and senile, we are sending you out the door.
But before you do, throw some shit at the dart board and we'll go with that for first pick.

Drew a Penalty
06-23-2017, 09:41 PM
Yeah, that's arguably the strongest defense of him. He's a near-lock for making the NHL, perhaps as soon as next season. I just wish, given their total lack of boom prospects, that they went for more impact with the pick.

Agreed. I think, depending on what they do with the 21st, that this is salvageable.

Dunny
06-23-2017, 09:41 PM
Thanks for that Lundy pick 37 years ago, you've done shit since, are old and senile and we are sending you out the door.
But before you do, throw some shit at the dart board and we'll go with that.

LOL

I know scouts, I wouldn't trust them with choosing dinner.

Respecttheblue
06-23-2017, 09:42 PM
Vilardi seemed more interesting to me. Conservative pick gets us oscar Stephan/Derek Lindberg. With less scoring? Fooking draft someone.with a #7 who can put the puck in the net wouldya! Oh well, Swedes have worked out well in the Nhl if that's hope. Off to Ned it's 1:40 am here.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

NYR2711
06-23-2017, 09:43 PM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=2&dpid=107233&sort=finalRank&year=2017

IF I COULD "CARPOOL KARAOKE" WITH ANY CELEBRITY IT WOULD BE: JUSTIN BIEBER

OK, this is a big letdown on him.

ThirtyONE
06-23-2017, 09:44 PM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=2&dpid=107233&sort=finalRank&year=2017

OK, this is a big letdown on him.

Hey, "Sorry" is a fucking JAM.

Don't Stepan Matteau
06-23-2017, 09:45 PM
McKenzie, who I consider the gold standard for the Draft, had him at 13. So yeah, you're right. It's not a huge reach, but it's still one I'm not all that comfortable making. I'm sure Andersson will be a fine NHL player. This isn't McIlrath, but considering the cost they paid to draft at seven, it's an underwhelming return.

I agree with this, but just about every pick in this draft is some level of a crap shoot as there isn't a generational talent and because of that I'd be more concerned if they reached on a guy guy who was really talented but 3-5 years away due to body type or a severe limitation to his game like a lot of first round talent.

It sounds like Anderson has the size and skill set to fill one of our bottom 6 forward roles right away and because of the type of game he has still develop into a top 6 player while doing so, ala Brad Marchand or Kunitz but hopefully as a responsible center. That's a rarity coming out of the draft and perhaps warranted the bit of the reach since we do have the holes by trading step and losing Lindbergh.

It also allows the flexibility to find a short term aging star as rental which is a lot easier than trading for a flawed stud like Duchene, so in my mind it's not a huge deviation of the overall plan.

NYR2711
Hey, "Sorry" is a fucking JAM.

He also like Sidney Crosby

Cash or Czech?
I'm not ecstatic we didn't take a risk, but I'm okay with his projection. We need to go for a boom/bust type with #21

I hope this guy eventually develops into a Drury-type versatile player.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

Drew a Penalty
06-23-2017, 09:47 PM
I'm not ecstatic we didn't take a risk, but I'm okay with his projection. We need to go for a boom/bust type with #21

I hope this guy eventually develops into a Drury-type versatile player.

ISS' comparison for him is Alex Steen. I really like that as a basis for his play and potential ceiling.

Cash or Czech?
06-23-2017, 09:48 PM
ISS' comparison for him is Alex Steen. I really like that as a basis for his play and potential ceiling.

I'm about that. "All Situations" types of players are really valuable. And if he's NHL ready next season? We've seen some really good players start in a grinding role as young rookies and breakout with some offense. Both on the Rangers and around the league.

So Nashty
06-23-2017, 09:52 PM
Im sure with the lack of 1st rounder the last few seasons Gorton and Co. probably thought a safe pick was worth the lack of ceiling here. Its certainly not an exciting pick but it may grow on us.

Drew a Penalty
06-23-2017, 09:53 PM
Im sure with the lack of 1st rounder the last few seasons Gorton and Co. probably thought a safe pick was worth the lack of ceiling here. Its certainly not an exciting pick but it may grow on us.

This is the way we need to look at it. Andersson wasn't going to make it to 21 despite what some here are claiming. He wasn't the pick at 7, but he's a player we'll grow to like. He's really good and can make the team next season. When was the last time the Rangers remotely had someone capable of that?

Phil in Absentia
06-23-2017, 09:55 PM
This is the way we need to look at it. Andersson wasn't going to make it to 21 despite what some here are claiming. He wasn't the pick at 7, but he's a player we'll grow to like. He's really good and can make the team next season. When was the last time the Rangers remotely had someone capable of that?

At forward? Kreider.

Drew a Penalty
06-23-2017, 09:56 PM
At forward? Kreider.

I guess. But he didn't.

Phil in Absentia
06-23-2017, 09:58 PM
I guess. But he didn't.

You asked. I'm just saying, that's the last time they came close.

Dunny
Now we're guaranteed a high-end guy.

Just do it.

Drew a Penalty
You asked. I'm just saying, that's the last time they came close.

I mean like one that actually did.

So Nashty
06-23-2017, 09:59 PM

Just do it.

who is ranked at 40? thats probably who they take lol

Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc

Just do it.

please Gorton, please. Just take the talentet forward and dont try to be a genius.

Phil in Absentia
I mean like one that actually did.

Don't make me do real work.

Valriera
06-23-2017, 10:13 PM
All I can say is that he's Swedish and Swedish players are good.

Keirik
06-23-2017, 10:22 PM
Sounds like they drafted Oscar Lindberg lol

jsm7302
06-23-2017, 10:30 PM
If this guy Is good to play next year and can fill Lindbergs shoes then we win. If we sign Smith then we have overhauled this roster with young promising talent and got rid of dead weight while retaining a vet presence.
Im absolutely happy with today. This could be the energy injection this team needed. It's tough saying positive things about an uncertain future when comparing to the definitive definition of what Stepan brought year to year. I'm up for the gamble. I want a cup!!!

Flynn
06-23-2017, 10:46 PM
Did Phil Jackson get invited to the draft war room?

Drew a Penalty
06-23-2017, 11:44 PM

Lt. Dan
06-23-2017, 11:47 PM

Lol wut

Phil in Absentia
06-23-2017, 11:47 PM
He's a confident player. I'll give him that. Very poised in the interview. Not an ounce of detectable nervousness or trepidation.

I love that he's open to the idea of the AHL, too.

Drew a Penalty
06-23-2017, 11:51 PM
Lol wut

What?

Lt. Dan
06-23-2017, 11:52 PM
What?

Is that suppose to be a link to something. It shows as a hyperlink but goes nowhere for me. Just a bunch of numbers.

Phil in Absentia
06-23-2017, 11:54 PM
Tweets don't render on mobile. Here's the link, Shane:

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/878440720612204544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com %2Fshowthread.php%3F19294-Rangers-Select-F-Lias-Andersson-with-7th-Overall-Pick%2Fpage2

torontonyr
06-23-2017, 11:55 PM
He's a confident player. I'll give him that. Very poised in the interview. Not an ounce of detectable nervousness or trepidation.

I love that he's open to the idea of the AHL, too.

100% agree.

We have a lot of "good guys" on our team, but I want to say that we don't have many "overt leaders.

Bashful, humble farm-boy types or pragmatic vets, for the most part. This mentality that he wants to win and has goals to achieve and isn't just happy to "be there" pleases me.

Phil in Absentia
06-24-2017, 12:00 AM
Yeah, Andersson saying he wants to be a leader, the way he said it, is inspiring. He said it like a leader. Not just someone offering platitudes.

Lt. Dan
06-24-2017, 12:03 AM
Tweets don't render on mobile. Here's the link, Shane:

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/878440720612204544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com %2Fshowthread.php%3F19294-Rangers-Select-F-Lias-Andersson-with-7th-Overall-Pick%2Fpage2

CreaseCrusader91
06-24-2017, 12:21 AM
Transcript

An interview with:

LIAS ANDERSSON

Q. Was this a surprise to you at all? Did the Rangers talk to you at the Combine?
LIAS ANDERSSON: Yeah, I met with them at the Combine, but it surprised me a little bit. There were a lot of good players left in the draft, so it was a lot of fun.

Q. Can you give us a scouting report on yourself?
LIAS ANDERSSON: I think I’m a two-way center. Love to change games and score big goals. I want to be a leader. So, yeah, I’ll say I’m a leader.

Q. What was your reaction?
LIAS ANDERSSON: My agent was like a little bit screaming, so it was like, ‘Yeah, going to New York.’ So it was a little bit fun, but it just was a special feeling. I cannot describe it. It was amazing.

Q. What do you know about the organization?
LIAS ANDERSSON: I mean, I’ve never been to New York before, so it’s going to be fun to go there. Actually my mom and dad met the first time in New York, so they can show me around a little bit.

Q. Your dad played in the NHL, right?
LIAS ANDERSSON: Yeah, my dad actually lived in New York, played for the Islanders, so hopefully I can take his old apartment.

Q. Is there anyone you pattern your game after?
LIAS ANDERSSON: I mean, I love watching those good centermen, Toews. I love watching Claude Giroux for the Flyers. I think they can play a little bit tough and score big goals. And, yeah, I think they’re game changers. And Toews is a big winner. He’s won everything, and I want to win everything, too.

Q. What would you say is your best asset on the ice?
LIAS ANDERSSON: I don’t know, I think I want to be like a full-package player. I want to have the full package. So I’ll say my work ethic and just being around those hot situations. And I like scoring important goals.

Q. What do you think about playing with Henrik Lundqvist?
LIAS ANDERSSON: Oh, yeah, it feels amazing. I actually know him a little bit. My dad played with him for some years. So it will be good to see him again.

Q. Where did you get your aggressive style from? How did that come about?
LIAS ANDERSSON: I don’t know. Just I watched a lot of hockey, and I think if you want to be successful, you have to play hard and tough, in my opinion. So I just watched a lot of hockey.

Q. How familiar are you with the Rangers, and what do you think of the team so far?
LIAS ANDERSSON: I mean, it’s a very good team. They’ve been close now for many years, and I think, yeah, they’ve got some -- a couple of good Swedes down in the minors. So I think we’ll change that ship.

Q. Does it help to have other Swedish players on the Rangers?
LIAS ANDERSSON: Yeah, of course. I speak a little bit to Henrik and those guys in the minors, too, so I mean, it’s obviously good to have a couple of Swedes there.

Q. What does it mean to know that you will be a teammate of Henrik Lundqvist?
LIAS ANDERSSON: I mean, feels just amazing. He’s one of the biggest stars that Sweden hockey ever had, so it just feels amazing.

Q. Where will you play next year?
LIAS ANDERSSON: I don’t know yet. I have a contract back home with Frolunda, so we’ll see what’s happening, see what the Rangers want. Obviously my goal is to play in the NHL. I know it’s tough, and if I don’t make it, maybe play in the American League or play back home in Sweden. I don’t know yet. We’ll figure something good out.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

ThirtyONE
06-24-2017, 12:56 AM
Both kids seem to have good heads on their shoulders. I'm excited for both kids. Both character guys. Both willing to play in the AHL immediately if asked.

Between our two picks and DeAngelo we added three very solid players to the mix.

Respecttheblue
06-24-2017, 01:43 AM
Both kids seem to have good heads on their shoulders. I'm excited for both kids. Both character guys. Both willing to play in the AHL immediately if asked.

Between our two picks and DeAngelo we added three very solid players to the mix.

Looking at his playoff and championship-type game numbers, I'm a lot more encouraged than I was last night.

Now listening to the interview, and getting a better sense of his desire to win and the kind of game player he models himself on, plus his level of assertiveness, etc., I am a lot more encouraged.

pws85nyr
06-24-2017, 02:12 AM
From the looks of this the kid has pretty good hands, good size, can skate and has a decent wrist shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq3OMhQVWO0

Seems to me he could transition to the AHL/NHL this year, depending on whether the Rangers think a year in Frolunda will benefit him more (with Hanks brother). I'll reserve judgement personally as I don't have any knowledge on the guys we passed over, and have obviously never seen Andersson play either.

All I will say, if this year was a 'weak' draft class compared to next year which is predicted to be stronger, is picking a guy ranked No. 13 with the No. 7 pick all that bad/surprising? Personally I value the stats of a player playing against men in a strong European league over the CHL. Would the guys we passed over have bettered 0.45ppg at age 18 in that league? We won't know but the more I read and see the less upset I am. I find our No. 21 pick a little more head scratching considering who was still on the board.

pws85nyr
06-24-2017, 03:19 AM
Just read that apparently he was the 5th youngest player in the SHL this year, and didn't realise HV71 won the title this year.

His draft rankings across the board were:

Hockeyprospects.com - No. 12
ISS Hockey Top 31 - No. 20
Future Considerations Top 31 - No. 13
McKeen's Hockey Top 31 - No. 11
NHL Central Scouting Top 31 (Europe) - No. 3

TwoMinutesForNothing
06-24-2017, 04:09 AM
Not totally thrilled with it, but he reminds me of Landeskog.

Rosenvold
06-24-2017, 04:28 AM
I'm Danish and totally biased, but I'm really excited about Lias. I watched him a couple of games for HV last year and he was very impressive in a tough league.

People are talking a lot about Elias Pettersson doing well for Timrå, but thats Allsvenskan - the second league. Lias did the job in the SHL - arguably a top-5 league in the World.

phillyb™
06-24-2017, 01:11 PM

He's gonna score the cup-clinching goal in 7 years.

TwoMinutesForNothing
06-25-2017, 02:28 AM
Good quotes here...

“A late ’98 birthday, Andersson is an excellent two-way player who excels in every part of the rink. Can completely drive a line with the way be attacks the game. Not sure if he’ll ever have elite skill, but is such a valuable player.” – Jeff Marek, Sportsnet

“Work ethic and consistency elevate him above peers. Does it all. Natural leader.” – ISS (International Scouting Services)

Ranger Lothbrok
06-28-2017, 01:37 PM
Here's an incredibly complimentary write-up about the kid:
https://canucksarmy.com/2017/06/11/nation-network-2017-prospect-profiles-14-lias-andersson/

Any of you statistics buffs out there should read it. And everyone else should read it just for the compilation of scouting reports. One tidbit I found interesting was that since 1981, only eight players have scored 19 or more points in the SHL in their draft season: Markus Naslund, Daniel/Henrik Sedin, Robert Nilsson, Nicklas Backstrom, Victor Hedman, Elias Lindholm and Lias Andersson.

Here's the compilation of scouting reports part:

From Future Considerations:

A smart, mature, two-way center…good decision-making, leadership qualities and advanced understanding of the game…a true three-zone player…defensively responsible…will drop to block shots or get his body in passing lanes…dangerous forechecker who reads the defense and uses an active stick to disrupt…covers up the ice for his teammates on the backcheck and always gives an honest effort…doesn’t commit a lot of mistakes and plays a very calm game while in puck possession…has solid offensive instincts…protects the puck very well and uses all of his frame to hold opponents off the puck…possesses a nice, quick shot release…not a flashy puckhandler, but can carry it up ice and distributes it well…goes to the net and plays in traffic…has solid vision and the ability to set up his linemates…has good balance and generates healthy amounts of speed…a potential two-way guy in the Zetterberg mold.

From the Hockey Prospect Black Book (Excerpt from publication):

A solid forward who has played both center and wing. Andersson is a very good playmaker who has the ability to drive the play. He is an aggressive player who often wins races for loose pucks and he is adept at one on one battles. His wrist shot and one-timer are excellent, both pack some bigtime punch. He’s a player who could excel on an NHL power play.

From Corey Pronman of ESPN (Excerpt only – full article behind pay wall):

He won’t dazzle with high-end dekes, but there is a lot of skill to Andersson’s game. He makes quick decisions, has a quick shot, sees his options well and has good puck skills. Andersson might be below average in size, but he’s tough and strong for a player his age, and he can kill penalties adequately.

From Jimmy Hamrin of McKeen’s Hockey (Excerpt only – full article behind pay wall):

Lias Andersson is a good bet to make the NHL on a regular basis. Depending on his future development I can see him becoming anything from a second line center to a bottom six center for an NHL team and being effective in any of those roles. He has the offensive drive, the shot and good enough skills to suggest him reaching the level of being a second line center at the highest level. He lacks the high end offensive talent necessary to be a first line center. For the upcoming draft I would be surprised if he is not a first round pick and would look about righ anywhere in the top 20. He is a safer bet than Liljegren or Pettersson as he is not as raw and is a bit further ahead in his development as of today but he does not have the same level of top skills and high end potential as those two.

From The Draft Analyst:

One of the few forward prospects who played consistent minutes for a contending adult team, Andersson showcased more creativity and puck skills at several best-on-best tournaments while manning one of Sweden’s top two lines. He’s a 200-foot battler with soft hands and makes smart decisons while motoring up ice. Andersson is a virtual lock for a lengthy NHL career, and his style of play can fit any system.

Andersson is a mature, two-way center who can occasionally fill in on the wing. He had a strong rookie season in the SHL, finishing with 19 points in 42 games for a talented HV71 club. Andersson has run the gauntlet of international competition with aplomb, placing among Sweden’s leaders in goals and points at the last WJC and U18 world championship. A shifty, elusive player with good acceleration who is quick on his feet and a has knack for making something out of nothing, Andersson has a ton of upside considering how well he fared as a teenager on a good team in an adult league. He has a very good shot, mainly for his release and accuracy rather than sheer power. Playing inside is something he’ll do with regularity, and Andersson’s proven to snap off a quick shot while cutting across or in full stride.

pws85nyr
06-28-2017, 02:00 PM
Love it, thanks for the post. It's nice to be excited about a top end prospect again, seems like forever!

I get the impression the kid can be whatever he wants, subject to coaching and how he applies himself, capping at 2nd line C. I love his confidence in interviews though, and I'm hopeful of a solid 2nd line C. I loved the clips I saw of him and can't wait to see him against NHL talent.

Mistercosmic
06-28-2017, 02:07 PM
From furious damnation to praising affection within few days and we still haven't even met you yet...welcome to Rangerstown, Lias, take a seat and feel doomed [emoji1]

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

Dunny
10-31-2017, 12:55 AM
What's going on here, is he hurt or what?

Kevin
10-31-2017, 01:30 AM
What's going on here, is he hurt or what?

It looks like he's playing with Frolunda and the u20 team.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=214318

Dunny
10-31-2017, 01:44 AM
That's weird, he doesn't show up in hockeydb.

Cash or Czech?
11-01-2017, 09:51 AM
That's weird, he doesn't show up in hockeydb.

Hockeydb isn't great with the National teams and minor league, junior etc versions of European teams. Eliteprospects.com is way better at tracking that.

Dunny
11-01-2017, 09:57 AM
I know, but is he with Frolunda or Frolunda u20?

Morphinity
11-01-2017, 10:26 AM
He's with Frolunda HC (big boy team).

He's played for the Sweden U20 team as well.

Long live the King
11-01-2017, 11:21 AM
I know, but is he with Frolunda or Frolunda u20?
Those u20 stats are from the summer.

Cash or Czech?
11-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Then yeah, he's 10 GP, 2-2-4 for Frolunda this year per EliteProspects. For some weird reason, he's not listed on the roster on Hockeydb.com (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0070492018.html).

Respecttheblue
11-05-2017, 03:05 PM
Then yeah, he's 10 GP, 2-2-4 for Frolunda this year per EliteProspects. For some weird reason, he's not listed on the roster on Hockeydb.com (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0070492018.html).

Must've been told / under instructions to keep his defensive game solid ;)

Giacomin
11-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Must've been told / under instructions to keep his defensive game solid ;)

Haha. Hey that league is not juniors. They're big boys and they play and honor defense.

Don't expect prolific scoring from there and he probably never projects out to a scorer, but who knows. He's 18.

Respecttheblue
11-07-2017, 11:02 PM
Haha. Hey that league is not juniors. They're big boys and they play and honor defense.

Don't expect prolific scoring from there and he probably never projects out to a scorer, but who knows. He's 18.

Whatever the case, the Swedes’ contribution to the NHL in the last couple of decades has been outstanding. I’m optimistic for Andersen, even if he did not blow the doors of camp.

Long live the King
01-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Interesting....

A caveat here. The Post has learned that management is weighing sending Andersson to the Wolf Pack once the center completes rehab on the shoulder he injured captaining Sweden to the silver medal in the World Juniors. If the center proves capable, he likely would be in New York playing for the Rangers, rather than back in Gothenburg playing for Frolunda, by the Feb. 26 trade deadline.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/16/the-one-hope-keeping-rangers-from-year-of-failed-re-tooling/

josh
01-18-2018, 05:58 PM
Did he bring his playstation?

Dunny
01-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Nice, anybody know the rehab timeline?

Long live the King
01-18-2018, 06:07 PM
I posted it in that other thread about the medal toss. Think is was supposed to be about 2 weeks.

Long live the King
01-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Yea, here is the Swedish article from Jan 10 says about 2 weeks..

https://www.expressen.se/gt/sport/jvm-stjarnans-skadedom/

Dunny
01-18-2018, 06:12 PM
No too bad then, looks like the decision is looming. I say do it!

Future
01-19-2018, 10:29 AM
It's confirmed that he's been reassigned to Hartford. Per the AHL transactions page, it happened on Monday.

https://theahl.com/stats/transactions/307/57?page=1

phillyb™
01-19-2018, 10:42 AM
Oh good shit.

01-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Time to work on your offensive game. As a norwegian its always nice to have more scandinavians on the team. Hopefully he is ready for NHL next season.

Dunny
01-23-2018, 10:40 PM
Is he playing tomorrow? (Wednesday)

josh
01-24-2018, 08:23 PM
in the lineup.

anywhere to find stream or feed?

Dunny
01-24-2018, 08:53 PM
Just radio

Long live the King
01-24-2018, 09:16 PM
Boo should give #24 to the future captain...

Sent from my [device_name] using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

pws85nyr
01-24-2018, 10:43 PM
Assisted on the OT winner, 4-3. Another 2 assists for Chytll to, 6 points in the last 5 games (2G, 4A).

Dunny
01-25-2018, 09:03 AM
The Wolfpack YouTube hilite page looks like a grade 6 media project.

Dunny
01-25-2018, 04:42 PM
I can't find video of the game yet, but holy fuck, Friday nights in Hartford: $1 Hot Dogs and $2 Beers! Cheaper than staying home!

josh
02-07-2018, 05:10 PM
1g 2a

first pro goal in NA

phillyb™
02-07-2018, 05:31 PM
Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osza36C-VcE

pws85nyr
02-07-2018, 07:42 PM
If I'm not mistaken, they haven't lost in regulation with Andersson in the line up.

josh
02-07-2018, 07:49 PM
They're on a hot streak.

He's close to a ppg 5 in 6. I could be wrong

02-08-2018, 06:44 AM
Yes, 1-4-5 in 6 games for Lias. 8-14-22 in 27 for Chytil. Both being plus players with +4 and +3. Impressive considering almost the entire team are minus players.

Dunny
02-08-2018, 09:18 AM
Totally different team, now. The AHL lifers are what they are but getting away from featuring guys like Tambellini and Gropp to featuring these two has changed everything.

If they can get in and get Holland, Vinny and DeAngelo back they could have a long run.

Drew a Penalty
02-08-2018, 09:44 AM
Deadline acquisitions also have a potential to make a difference if they get some young guys who can go down there. I think one of the best things for Skjei's development was going on a long playoff run off his ATO.

torontonyr
02-08-2018, 01:42 PM
the pack are actually exciting to watch. Plus, the video quality and social media coverage of the AHL make you feel like it's 2008 again.

Dunny
04-09-2018, 04:17 PM
From what I've seen I think it's pretty wishful thinking to think that he's going to contribute in any meaningful way in 2018/19.

I hate to say it, but, doesn't he remind you a bit of Jamie Lundmark? Smallish C, drafted later half of Top 10, not a great skater...

josh
04-09-2018, 04:34 PM
From what I've seen, he thinks the game way better than Lundmark.

SaveByRichter35
04-09-2018, 04:40 PM
Jamie Lundmark...I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

So Nashty
04-09-2018, 09:13 PM
Was much more impressed with chytil but it’s still early. We will see what he looks at camp but I would think he gets a year of ahl play next season. I agree with who ever said that he’s kind of slow.

josh
04-09-2018, 09:21 PM
Both will be in the nhl season, and for the foreseeable future, and they are still incredibly young. We have 5 seasons before we have to worry about them.

I’m a sucker for speed, but I still like Andersson ‘s game. Both him and Chytil seem to read the play very well, and should continue to grow in the right environment

Dunny
04-09-2018, 09:44 PM
I like it too, but the skating. It's all about skating. Hopefully it's an overblown concern on my part.

josh
04-09-2018, 09:48 PM
I like it too, but the skating. It's all about skating. Hopefully it's an overblown concern on my part.

He's a much better skater than Stepan or Hayes at this age.

He's strong on his skates , for his age.

Long live the King
04-09-2018, 09:54 PM

Keep in mind he was here for the draft and development camp, went back to Sweden to play in some international junior games, came back for training camp/preseason, went back to Sweden to play in the SHL, back to the US for the WJC, went to Hartford, then the Rangers. Been a long year, gonna finish it up with the World Championships for Sweden. He's played a lot of hockey all over the world. As a teenager. After the World Championships he'll have some time to rest before getting ready for camp. If there's one thing you can't question about him its his drive and work ethic.

Rosenvold
04-12-2018, 05:38 AM
Keep in mind he was here for the draft and development camp, went back to Sweden to play in some international junior games, came back for training camp/preseason, went back to Sweden to play in the SHL, back to the US for the WJC, went to Hartford, then the Rangers. Been a long year, gonna finish it up with the World Championships for Sweden. He's played a lot of hockey all over the world. As a teenager. After the World Championships he'll have some time to rest before getting ready for camp. If there's one thing you can't question about him its his drive and work ethic.

Exactly. And at the same time, he is under immense pressure as the absolute top prospect of the organization, who was touted to be near-NHL ready, while Chytil can ride on lesser initial expectations and being more of a very young hit-or-miss-pick. It's not easy for Lias. I think it will do him a world of good to get some continuity either with the Rangers or Hartford and to have another top draftee added to the organization, so he doesn't have to lift all the pressure by himself.

Also, four of the six players drafted before him are still in the juniors or Europe. Lias is progressing very nicely, in my opinion.

Future
04-12-2018, 11:22 AM
He's looked a step slow, I think it's a pretty fair concern.

But the reality is that we won't know what he can be, as a skater, until like 2021.

Long live the King
04-12-2018, 06:25 PM
Quick set of highlights from Lias Andersson's senior international debut for Sweden (https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/984538294653513728)

Giacomin
04-13-2018, 02:20 AM
Get him Hags old skating coach. I think he still goes back to him every summer. Fuck, get some rest and work on the skating.