• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Ghost of Foley's – General Chat

Pete

Maybe you didn't see the map? He posted a flag 5 blocks away from Bedford Ave. So what are you talking about it being 30 blocks away?

I know Brooklyn is a big place. I know where I lived. I also know places I've been. I wouldn't let my girlfriend or wife or daughter walk around that area at night alone. So I sure as shit wouldn't tell someone else to move there.

You mean this map?

http://i.imgur.com/ua8BTmS.png

Yeah, I saw it. It's why I said I knew the area considering I lived here:

Screen%20Shot%202013-05-12%20at%2011.56.11%20PM.png

And you do realize that Bedford Ave, in that area, is full of huge apartment complexes that they built back in 2004-2007 right? That are filled with art school students? It's not the ghetto you are making it out to be, and I know this because I lived there. You visited. It's not the same. I spent five years of my life there. I dated dozens of girls who also spent years of their lives there, and not a single one has ever had an issue walking home from the subway. Not a single one. You know what he should worry about? Coming home with chlamydia if he and Amanda ever split and he decides to start nailing art school chicks. That's about the extent of his worries based on the location of that apartment he posted.

But hey, it's his choice. He can take your word, as someone who lived 15 miles away his entire life and visited the area occasionally who's telling him it's a ghetto, or mine, as someone who actually lived right around the corner from where he's looking who's telling him you're making the place out to be something it's not.

In fact, Jimmy, the area you are looking is on Classon Ave, which looks like it's a stones throw away from where the Pratt store is. You want a live look-in as to what is in the area? Here it is:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=pratt+store&ll=40.693183,-73.961924&spn=0.004336,0.008444&sll=40.693769,-73.962676&layer=c&cid=11610410256799607336&cbp=13,185.43,,0,2.52&cbll=40.69383,-73.962629&gl=us&hq=pratt+store&t=m&z=17&panoid=gvJrSNMDYgD-wIqQ-Lnjag

Oh, that thing, across the street from the store with the cop car parked in front? Giant apartment complex with pricey high-end pads for sale and rent. Tremble in fear! :rofl:

Oh, a cop car is there. That must mean nothing bad happens there.

But hey, look, I never lived in Beirut. It's probably not so bad. I'm sure I can date a girl from there who never got bombed...

You know where else they have high end luxury pads with amenities? Jersey City. You know why I didn't buy one? You can't leave the fucking building. That's why they make the buildings so sick.

I'm not gonna argue anymore though. I gave my 2 cents.

Like I said, Jimmy — you can listen to Pete, who's telling you about a neighborhood he's probably spent a total of three days in in his entire life, or me, who actually lived there for five years. You can decide who's opinion is more credible or valuable to your decision.

In fact, if you want a visual map, draw a north/south line down Nostrand Ave and don't venture east of it. That'll pretty much keep you in the clear. Everything to the west of you is A-OK, including the entire downtown area which now houses the Barclays Center.

In fact, if you really wanna test this out, take any random Saturday out of your day and just go visit the place. I'd strongly suggest walking up and down DeKalb Ave and grabbing lunch at Luigi's Pizza on DeKalb and Hall St. Visit the Pratt campus and be sure to check out Ft. Greene park as well. I believe the Farmers markets are now in place there on Sat/Sunday mornings as well if you are near Ft. Greene park. They set up on the DeKalb side at the corner of Cumberland.

Hope you don't get bombed, since that happens all the time over there. :rolleyes:

So go Saturday evening and hang out into the night. I still think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how non-threatening it really is. I don't mean to sound racist at all, but it gets "blacker" the further east you go, obviously, because you head toward Marcy, so if you want to be super safe, sure, use Bedford Ave as your cut-off. Bedford itself is totally safe to walk up and down, though. I was a 120-pound art school student with a faux hawk dating a Russian broad who lived on Bedford and Willoughby. Never even got threatened verbally walking home from there half drunk some nights, let alone mugged.

I'm not sure which bars are still open right there by the school, but there are definitely a number you could hang out at down DeKalb heading toward the park, including a Red Bamboo. The food sucks if you're a carnivore, but it's a really nice atmosphere still.

I will say this though, in the spirit of objectivity. The Pratt area is a bit more of an isolated community. The rent is probably sky high now with Barclays in place, but if you are looking for a fusion between that Manhattan-y feel of constant life, stores, buildings, etc. I'd look in the areas south of Ft. Greene park starting at DeKalb going down toward Boerum Hill.

That's prime real estate with Barclays there now, but it's super safe and right by Atlantic Terminal (Target, Chuck-E-Cheese, LIRR hub, Guitar Center, etc). It's like a small mall, really. There's also a PC Richards, Modell's Office Max and Best Buy there as well as a Pathmark.

Like I said, I agree with you, the flag is safe. I just don't care for the surround.

It usually get called the "Pratt circle", which is basically a huge box that goes Park Ave to Bedford, south down Bedford all the way to Gates, west down Gates all the way to Washington, and back north all the way up Washington to Park again. That whole area is what realtors target to Pratt students.

Then there's a second section that goes all the way to Atlantic Terminal from Washington, Gates and DeKalb.

Well, that's why I was saying it's sort of an isolated community. The whole focus is on the school and it's activities, so it's a great place for artists and musicians — that sort of personality.

Based on his interests and his job, I'd think he'd be better off in the Boerum Hill area, or the Ft. Greene area north of it just south of the park if he still wants to be in that general area. He'd also be free of the G train being his only option that way if he's within walking distance of Atlantic Term where he can hit up to ten or eleven different lines. I think it's eleven with the 1 train not accessed through Atlantic Term, but from outside it one block over.

If you want super safe (e.g. super white) neighborhoods though, you have to go all the way north (Greenpoint, LIC) or all the way south (Bay Ridge).

I have friends in precincts all over the city. I have a pretty good idea of where I'd live and where I wouldn't based on what comes thru out jail cells lol.

We were stopped one day by a white retired NYPD cop up on Lenox Avenue and around 140 Street, and he asked us how the neighborhood was because his daughter was looking for an apartment and the rents seemed pretty cheap over there. We laughed at him and told him go pay the higher rent and move into lower part of the Upper West Side. He asked why and we had to tell him how bad the 32 PCT actually was. He told us he never new because he as a Queens guy his whole career.

My brother who now lives in Manhattan (not far from Bellevue hospital) had rented in both Bay Ridge and Hoboken, NJ. Visiting, I enjoyed Hoboken a little more, although Bay Ridge was nice. His place is Hoboken was crazy expensive though.

Mountain is 5 minutes away. I'm off Morris by the Wine Library.

There's a good self serve froyo place on Mountain.

Cool. I know where that is. I was just in that area a few weeks ago

Took the train from Millburn to see the final game of the regular season.

Pretty damn convenient.