• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Ghost of Foley's – General Chat

Pete

Finally actually started and looks almost done my resume.

I have to give it to my career counselor for proofreading and seeing what else I can add to it.

Thing is, confused if I'm just writing my resume to have once I graduate or for an internship.

I'm happy with my part-time job right now, but it's more accounting based than finance. Eh, seems like the same shit though.

I have always changed my resume for every thing I applied to. You need to highlight things differently, switch up position of education and work experience a bit. I don't think one resume fits every situation, not even when you there's a cover letter as well.

I suddenly have internships on my mind as well. I've had the same plan for 2,5 years now, but a dream internship just came to my attention by a current employee there and it's a chance of a lifetime. Point is that it could have a big impact on my immediate future and my relationship and although Grace supports me in this, no hesitation, I am really in doubt. Well, never hurts to write them, ask around, drop my name and resume and if the internship isn't for me, maybe just go for a vacancy straight away.

I'm gonna need that same office at some point soon anyway. ;)

I have always changed my resume for every thing I applied to. You need to highlight things differently, switch up position of education and work experience a bit. I don't think one resume fits every situation, not even when you there's a cover letter as well.

I suddenly have internships on my mind as well. I've had the same plan for 2,5 years now, but a dream internship just came to my attention by a current employee there and it's a chance of a lifetime. Point is that it could have a big impact on my immediate future and my relationship and although Grace supports me in this, no hesitation, I am really in doubt. Well, never hurts to write them, ask around, drop my name and resume and if the internship isn't for me, maybe just go for a vacancy straight away.

I'm gonna need that same office at some point soon anyway. ;)

I hope you get it man.

The problem with me is that I like my job and it's part-time all year around. If I give this up for another internship, I might be losing PAY and a part-time job.

It's hard for me right now because I definitely need to work and put my hours in, so giving away that for a summer internship that might help me in the future is something I have to look into.

Definitely an opportunity cost.

I have the exact same doubt. I could lose income over this dream internship, it could actually cost me a little money, but it could also be a window of opportunity to speed up my visa process, since this internship is in the US and it's not on a student visa. I reached out to their visa affairs office and asked them for advice and possibilities to change that temporary visa into a permanent one. For some that's possible, for others it's not.

Fingers crossed. I hope it works out the way I want it to, if not, I should be flattered I was considered, use that to drive me in my hunt for a job and just make sure they remember me for future possibilities.

• Like 1

I have the exact same doubt. I could lose income over this dream internship, it could actually cost me a little money, but it could also be a window of opportunity to speed up my visa process, since this internship is in the US and it's not on a student visa. I reached out to their visa affairs office and asked them for advice and possibilities to change that temporary visa into a permanent one. For some that's possible, for others it's not.

Fingers crossed. I hope it works out the way I want it to, if not, I should be flattered I was considered, use that to drive me in my hunt for a job and just make sure they remember me for future possibilities.

I feel you, good luck Jules. I hope it works out for you.

• Like 1

Can't you have a company sponsor you or something like that?

Can't you have a company sponsor you or something like that?

The majority of the expenses are already covered by the people offering the internship and they want me to be a student, officially, of a Dutch university while I am there, because otherwise they have to present me as an employee and that comes with a different visa, which is much harder to obtain.

It's a great chance, but the price and the timing are off and it could change a lot of things. For good and for bad. Damn it, this is hard.

Is it bad to graduate a year later? I'm behind, but might take a summer/winter course to make up for the credits lost by dropping the accounting course that I was taking.

It's not bad. If you have the money, then go ahead by all means. But if graduating later is avoidable in any way, then do your best to avoid it and save the unnecessary amount of money.

I graduated late due to a combination of being very sick, major classes not being available, and laziness. lol

Do your best to avoid this... I've been asked to explain this in interviews a number of times and I also had to explain it in my grad school admission interview.

It's not bad. If you have the money, then go ahead by all means. But if graduating later is avoidable in any way, then do your best to avoid it and save the unnecessary amount of money.

I don't think money is a big deal since I've had scholarships and my school tuition isn't bad. I can afford to take 1 semester or 2 semesters of loans.

I graduated late due to a combination of being very sick, major classes not being available, and laziness. lol

Do your best to avoid this... I've been asked to explain this in interviews a number of times and I also had to explain it in my grad school admission interview.

Major classes being unavailable is what irks me on actually finishing my 2013 fall or 2014 spring to be honest.

I've been trying to avoid it but I have what I think are good reasons for finishing late, which is mostly work is demanding and personal reasons.

It's not an excuse, but I bet it's real annoying having to explain it in interviews.

The majority of the expenses are already covered by the people offering the internship and they want me to be a student, officially, of a Dutch university while I am there, because otherwise they have to present me as an employee and that comes with a different visa, which is much harder to obtain.

It's a great chance, but the price and the timing are off and it could change a lot of things. For good and for bad. Damn it, this is hard.

I know this kid who's Russian and doesn't have a work visa but Deloitte is sponsoring him or something so he can stay and work there

It's killer, dude. I'm racked trying to think up alternative means to keep us all occupied too. This lockout hurts like a mother fucker.

I actually considered pulling Michael out of school and taking him to open stick time. Then I remembered that I can't afford a divorce right now. It must be a lot more boring for you. I'm still in a rink watching Michael 5 days a week and I play twice. Plus I watch baseball and football and I know you don't. Are you chasing kristen around the house wearing her clothes yet?

We'd all usually be pumped for the first game of the season tomorrow night. But here I fucking am talking in The Flying Puck with only one Rangers thread active in the Rangers section and two active hockey threads in Around the NHL.

I actually got kinda emotional the other night when I realized that the first game of the season was supposed to be Friday.