• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Ghost of Foley's – General Chat

Pete

How inappropriate would it be to name my child Stalin?

I think it's a cool sounding first name, and since this centruy requires you to have unusual child names, I think Stalin Willson would sound cool for a name. I'd probably spell it differently, though.

How inappropriate would it be to name my child Stalin?

I think it's a cool sounding first name, and since this centruy requires you to have unusual child names, I think Stalin Willson would sound cool for a name. I'd probably spell it differently, though.

Stahlin. Looks ultra-Euro and ultra-cool.

Today would've been my fathers 59th birthday. Thankfully, this tough day was cheered up by the news my girlfriend is able to join me and my mother and sister for our roadtrip to Italy in 6 weeks from now. :)

Today would've been my fathers 59th birthday. Thankfully, this tough day was cheered up by the news my girlfriend is able to join me and my mother and sister for our roadtrip to Italy in 6 weeks from now. :)

That's cool.

If you dont mind me asking, are you planning anything to remember him by?

Why I ask - my gf's mother passed away 8 years ago. My gf has a younger brother and sister (young teens), who only spent a few years with her. Just comparing.

That's cool.

If you dont mind me asking, are you planning anything to remember him by?

Why I ask - my gf's mother passed away 8 years ago. My gf has a younger brother and sister (young teens), who only spent a few years with her. Just comparing.

No problem asking, I'm glad to answer. :) My dad had escaped death multiple times (2 heart attacks and a stroke) over the six years before his death and we had talked about death and a potential funeral before. Even I have a list of things already, just in case, and we followed some of what my dad wanted and some of our own ideas.

He was cremated and in The Netherlands, not sure if that's the same in America, you can take the ashes home with you. We are keeping about a third of it at our house in a black vase (ashes are in a bag, don't worry ;) ) we bought in his home region of Venice in Italy (my dad was 2nd generation Italian-Dutch). About half of the ashes was used to spread in a river in the German Black Forest, a place he loved very much, and on the farmground of friends of ours there, where we planted a tree with some of his ashes near the roots. So, that's our place to remember him, besides our house.

This summer in Italy, we are going to spread a little bit of the ashes - not too much, as it's symbolic for us and strictly forbidden in Italy - on a mountain that overlooks the birthplace of his grandparents and his father and which is also the location of the picture we used on the remembrance card that we gave to our friends and family and the funeral service.

It's been 18 months now since he died and it feels good to finally do these things. It's just a bit more closure and it creates more options for us to go to and remember him and such. It feels right and we knew he wanted this too, so that was easier. For me, I remember him by doing things we used to do together and in music, as that was a passion we shared. I miss him often, when I go to soccer games of the team we cheered for, but it helps me too.

• Like 1

I want "ahl", not "aul"

(pal, not Paul)

Understand? (I dont know that whole ? ? ? and what that actually is supposed to sound like)

Doesn't matter how you spell it, you can say it however you want. Like Ctanley with a "C".

No problem asking, I'm glad to answer. :) My dad had escaped death multiple times (2 heart attacks and a stroke) over the six years before his death and we had talked about death and a potential funeral before. Even I have a list of things already, just in case, and we followed some of what my dad wanted and some of our own ideas.

He was cremated and in The Netherlands, not sure if that's the same in America, you can take the ashes home with you. We are keeping about a third of it at our house in a black vase (ashes are in a bag, don't worry ;) ) we bought in his home region of Venice in Italy (my dad was 2nd generation Italian-Dutch). About half of the ashes was used to spread in a river in the German Black Forest, a place he loved very much, and on the farmground of friends of ours there, where we planted a tree with some of his ashes near the roots. So, that's our place to remember him, besides our house.

This summer in Italy, we are going to spread a little bit of the ashes - not too much, as it's symbolic for us and strictly forbidden in Italy - on a mountain that overlooks the birthplace of his grandparents and his father and which is also the location of the picture we used on the remembrance card that we gave to our friends and family and the funeral service.

It's been 18 months now since he died and it feels good to finally do these things. It's just a bit more closure and it creates more options for us to go to and remember him and such. It feels right and we knew he wanted this too, so that was easier. For me, I remember him by doing things we used to do together and in music, as that was a passion we shared. I miss him often, when I go to soccer games of the team we cheered for, but it helps me too.

that sounds like a great way to remember him Jules

My grandfather was cremated when he died 17 years ago and when my grandmother passes we will be sprinkling their ashes, forget exactly where.

On another note, glad your gf can join you for the trip!!

You're coming to the city, right?

I hope so. We still have to make real plans and it depends on her invitations or decisions for rowing. There are no guarantees in that sport and we hope she gets to row in Princeton twice in August. I think at least once and yes, I will surely be in the City than to team up with you guys.

Well the second you know, tell us so we can all get together.

I will. Right now, it's a toss up between several races and one of them is very prestigious. That could change plans, potentially cancelling a trip to NYC, but I'll let everyone know what's up as soon as I know more.