• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Ghost of Foley's – General Chat

Pete

It's a slow day, I don't feel very well (stomach pains) and I have a lot of thinking to do concerning my academic future. I want to do a masters programme starting in 2012, but I can't decided where, what programme and when to start exactly.

It's a slow day, I don't feel very well (stomach pains) and I have a lot of thinking to do concerning my academic future. I want to do a masters programme starting in 2012, but I can't decided where, what programme and when to start exactly.

I wouldnt worry about getting a Masters until you know what you want to get into. A Masters in Mathematics when you're a journalist is worthless.

I wouldnt worry about getting a Masters until you know what you want to get into. A Masters in Mathematics when you're a journalist is worthless.

I am looking at a different career path here. I have 18 months left to "kill" before I can apply for legal residency in the United States, which I really want to do because living so far apart from my girlfriend is just terrible and she has way more ties (family and both professional and sports career) to her country (America) than I have to my country (The Netherlands). So, basically, I want to get my BA in History and American Studies by January 2012 (and I'm right on track to do so) and than spend my money wisely on a one year MA programme here, because it's damn cheap to go to college here (we pay 90% less than in the US!) and I want to be around the time we can start looking for options for me to permanently move to America.

I can't really find a job or direction to go here, because I won't stay here. I have to add to my resume here and than go to America and hope for the best. There's more on it than a BA in history, including very relevant job experience, but I want a MA programma that will stand out and that's hard to find. Darn it.

• Like 1

I am looking at a different career path here. I have 18 months left to "kill" before I can apply for legal residency in the United States, which I really want to do because living so far apart from my girlfriend is just terrible and she has way more ties (family and both professional and sports career) to her country (America) than I have to my country (The Netherlands). So, basically, I want to get my BA in History and American Studies by January 2012 (and I'm right on track to do so) and than spend my money wisely on a one year MA programme here, because it's damn cheap to go to college here (we pay 90% less than in the US!) and I want to be around the time we can start looking for options for me to permanently move to America.

I can't really find a job or direction to go here, because I won't stay here. I have to add to my resume here and than go to America and hope for the best. There's more on it than a BA in history, including very relevant job experience, but I want a MA programma that will stand out and that's hard to find. Darn it.

History jobs BLOW here.

History jobs BLOW here.

Which is why I am not aiming for a directly history related job. My history degree was very diverse, I can prove that in course lists and through other qualification and experience on my resume. And which is why I want to do a master's degree in political sciences or cultural business.

I am really lost for words at the death of Boogaard. He's the second athlete I really liked who dies this week, after the horrific death of Belgian cyclist Wouter Weylandt due to a 50MPH downhill crash in the Giro d'Italia last Monday.

WTF man. :(

Nice touch Mods, with the Boogaard Brotherhood shield.

My wife and kids don't know about this yet. They are going to be dumbfounded.

Jules — I explained the Wouter Weylandt deal last week to older son was like WTF? Until I explained how fast they really go on those seriously insane mountain roads ... like I modulate the bike brakes leading up from 30-40mph, I think my GPS max on a road bike was 42, and I'm soiling my bibs. These guys go what 50-55mph or so downhill?, and deal with hairpin turns and ravines. :eek:

Jules — I explained the Wouter Weylandt deal last week to older son was like WTF? Until I explained how fast they really go on those seriously insane mountain roads ... like I modulate the bike brakes leading up from 30-40mph, I think my GPS max on a road bike was 42, and I'm soiling my bibs. These guys go what 50-55mph or so downhill?, and deal with hairpin turns and ravines. :eek:

Yeah, they fly down narrow mountain roads in the Alps and such at speeds of up to 55-60 MPH and sometimes with cliffs on the right, rocks on the left. They are absolutely nuts and it's a miracle things like this don't happen more often. Weirdest part is that he died on a relatively harmless downhill, but still at speed of around 50MPH and his head hit the road first as he fell, possible after clipping a wall and launching him off the bike, cracking the helmet... and his skull. He was dead on impact. My country and especially Belgium are mad about this sport, there was true collective shock... newspapers didn't know what to write.

Are you an avid cyclist? I'm trying to pick it up after doing it a lot when I was a teenager.