• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Braden Schneider

10 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Less. I'll say 2x2.

This. He has no arbitration rights. It's gonna be like 1.825x2 or something like that. Not to price is right you, but because Drury has the hammer.

8 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Why would we not want to go with a McDonaugh-esque 4.5 million X 6-7 year deal?

Because they can't afford it yet. They have Shesterkin, Lafrenière, and Miller on the horizon. Need to make sure you free up the dead weight before you commit.

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Why would we not want to go with a McDonaugh-esque 4.5 million X 6-7 year deal?

Time is a great thing to have, Muddy.  We can kick the can down the road with Schneider while we navagate our Salary Cap shitstorm that's on it's way after next season.  I don't think we need to buy UFA years until we HAVE TO.  Then sure we can go nuts after the Trouba $$$ and Panarin $$$ are on the way out.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Time is a great thing to have, Muddy.  We can kick the can down the road with Schneider while we navagate our Salary Cap shitstorm that's on it's way after next season.  I don't think we need to buy UFA years until we HAVE TO.  Then sure we can go nuts after the Trouba $$$ and Panarin $$$ are on the way out.

To yours and Phil's points, they could absolutely come up with that extra 2 million per year with a Kaako and/or Trouba trade.

Isolating the Trouba contract(at an assumed 2 million salary retained), they would save 1.5 million dollars on my proposed 4.5 million X 6-7 years and have their second pair RD locked up for the forseeable future.   

4 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

To yours and Phil's points, they could absolutely come up with that extra 2 million per year with a Kaako and/or Trouba trade.

Isolating the Trouba contract(at an assumed 2 million salary retained), they would save 1.5 million dollars on my proposed 4.5 million X 6-7 years and have their second pair RD locked up for the forseeable future.   

Right, but that requires that that deal happen first. You can't put the cart before the horse here. Schneider is great, but he has no arbitration rights. This deal is likely the the last to get done because there's absolutely no pressure to make it happen sooner.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

This. He has no arbitration rights. It's gonna be like 1.825x2 or something like that. Not to price is right you, but because Drury has the hammer.

Yup. If you look at bridge conteacts for young defensemen like Schneider, typically the ones getting mid 2s-3 either scored points or played 20 minutes a night in the top 4. Lindgren is a prime example and got 3x3 because he was on the top pair playing 20 a night. Schneider’s a 3rd pairing guy with 15 min a night and few points. He’s getting the raw end while Drury probably pinches pennies to max out the team how he can.

I will say though, if it were my choice and Trouba was either moving out or relegated to 3rd pairing, I’d be getting out ahead of it and giving Schneider a long term deal knowing he’s top 4. Cheap for 2 years is nice. Affordable for the next 6 years is better.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

38 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yup. If you look at bridge conteacts for young defensemen like Schneider, typically the ones getting mid 2s-3 either scored points or played 20 minutes a night in the top 4. Lindgren is a prime example and got 3x3 because he was on the top pair playing 20 a night. Schneider’s a 3rd pairing guy with 15 min a night and few points. He’s getting the raw end while Drury probably pinches pennies to max out the team how he can.

I will say though, if it were my choice and Trouba was either moving out or relegated to 3rd pairing, I’d be getting out ahead of it and giving Schneider a long term deal knowing he’s top 4. Cheap for 2 years is nice. Affordable for the next 6 years is better.

100% here on that sentiment.

Not to relitigate the Buchnevich trade which essentially turned into a salary dump; it's that mindset of not pursuing quality and affordability that has created a perpetual hole on the 1st line RW.

When you think of how many assets have been wasted on stopgaps over the last 3 trade deadlines(Vatrano, Taransenko, Kane, and Roslovic) the smart play would have been locking him into the same contract that St. Louis did. That would have given Drury the flexibility to trade him away if/when someone else was ready to step into the role for cheaper which would have added assets rather than draining them.

There is always a market for affordability and quality. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I agree, but Trouba isn't gone yet. My outlook likely changes if and when he is. Until then, hammer.

I love when folks pine for players from other teams. It's just warms my heart knowing that the same people will be complaining about that player within 6 months. 

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

I love when folks pine for players from other teams. It's just warms my heart knowing that the same people will be complaining about that player within 6 months. 

Why you gotta say that

Bored Blah Blah Blah GIF