• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Leafs Fire Sheldon Keefe

Just now, Pete said:

If ever a team needed Berube. 

It's gonna happen.

Elliotte Friedman on 32 thoughts, he thinks:
-There's mutual interest on Bertuzzi and Domi staying
-The Leafs want to extend McCabe 
-Keefe likely out, Berube is a front runner
-Shanahan may be out, but wont be replaced by anyone
-Marner & the team may both be ready to move on

• Applause 1

23 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

The haul they will get for Marner should be good.

I doubt that. They're dealing from a position of severe disadvantage. He's a great regular season player, but he's incredibly expensive (this automatically limits the prospective trade partners), and he's due a new deal almost immediately.

I forget who said it, I want to say Chris Johnston, but there's a lot of talk that they may need to accept a "loss" trade that they make up for in the aggregate afterward with what they then choose to do with the money they free up.

• Like 1

I would let Berube decide on what to do with Marner.  Its obvious that the management of the leafs are not the brightest and will probably fuck up the trade somehow.  Barube seems like a level headed guy who could right the ship and at least give it direction. 

Just now, RodrigueGabriel said:

Unless they get some Berube-esque players, it's going to be hard to put his stamp on the culture. 

This. Berube demands buy-in, and he'll get it... but would he be able to get it from the guys who need to hear it most? I'm skeptical.

Would be great for guys like Knies, Tavares, Domi (assuming they keep him), etc.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

I doubt that. They're dealing from a position of severe disadvantage. He's a great regular season player, but he's incredibly expensive (this automatically limits the prospective trade partners), and he's due a new deal almost immediately.

I forget who said it, I want to say Chris Johnston, but there's a lot of talk that they may need to accept a "loss" trade that they make up for in the aggregate afterward with what they then choose to do with the money they free up.

Thats what "they" said about Eichel and then he led a team to the cup

1 minute ago, Phil said:

on top of that, he has a full NMC so you have to find someone who wants to/is even able to use that much cap space on him, plus is a place he'd waive to go. maybe he wants a fresh start and would be open to it

maybe he'd take a chance with Chicago playing on Bedard's wing? problem is that Chicago probably doesn't want to deal any top picks (and doubt they'd move #2). they already have toronto's 2025 pick (conditional) that they could give back to them with some more pieces but unless they think Marner helps them finish a rebuild they are not moving their own 1st round picks for the next 2 years at least 

2 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

on top of that, he has a full NMC so you have to find someone who wants to/is even able to use that much cap space on him, plus is a place he'd waive to go. maybe he wants a fresh start and would be open to it

maybe he'd take a chance with Chicago playing on Bedard's wing? problem is that Chicago probably doesn't want to deal any top picks (and doubt they'd move #2). they already have toronto's 2025 pick (conditional) that they could give back to them with some more pieces but unless they think Marner helps them finish a rebuild they are not moving their own 1st round picks for the next 2 years at least 

Would Toronto be looking for draft picks tho?

I would think more like the Panarin - Saad trade or the Buch - Blais one lol. Get a different kind of player(s) and more cap space at the same time.

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Would Toronto be looking for draft picks tho?

I would think more like the Panarin - Saad trade or the Buch - Blais one lol. Get a different kind of player(s) and more cap space at the same time.

you're probably right. though if they could get a cost controlled #2 pick I think they'd be ok with that. either way, its gonna take some real creativity to pull off this type of trade