• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes — Round Two General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

No. They’re googling as much about hockey as they possibly could so it could seem like they’re not hopping on the bandwagon just for the playoffs.

Either that, or crying about having to have PNC overrun with Ranger fans.

Oh they make a lot of noise when the Canes are in contention.  When they are out of the playoffs, they will be drawing 8,000 again, just as they did three years after they won the cup.  The honest truth is that it is a lame market and the team should be moved.  Nashville is a similarly sized mid-South city, and it has better fans.

On 5/3/2024 at 6:44 PM, Pete said:

We can also recognize that You keep saying "we" Even though you're a hurricanes fan. 

But fuck the hurricanes. 

How do you like them apples?

Not a Hurricanes fan. Was a member at ProSportsDaily until that shut down earlier in the year. 

My point is that it’s understandable why Rangers fans would be concerned about this matchup. Believe in the boys, but going to need to play better than we did against the Capitals. 

On 5/3/2024 at 8:42 PM, BrooksBurner said:

That was that person's first post. You're such a miserable person lmao

Some people will always want to act tough behind a screen. 

Gone are the days when people bring facts to arguments and instead just try and belittle others. 

7 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don’t really agree. Even with a slightly better outlook 5v5 since the deadline, the Rangers are still completely outclassed analytically here. Models that favor 5v5 as much as Dom’s does are going to reflect that.

I think you and Dom and all the other people who want to reduce human desire and competition to an equation are grasping for control of something that is not predictable or quantifiable. A Playoff series like this is more like a prize fight than coming up with the magic determinative sum of analytic parts.

These teams are super close and this series won't be about number of zone entries or shot share or whatever analytic fuck-all. It's going to be about which group of men want it more, about who can take a punch and get back up, who can dig out that last ounce of energy when both teams are exhausted in a 2nd or 3rd overtime. Talent, skill, strategy, technique, and past performance will all be in play, but the outcome will be determined by the ability to seize the moment, endurance, resilience, heart.

Look at Boston, who looked up mid-series having completely lost their game. None of the regular season analytics would tell you shit about why that would happen, because it didn't happen until the heat and pressure conditions of a Playoff series. 

Seems like all of the forecasts revolve on pretty small differences. I'm tired of reading them. Let the fight begin. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

28 minutes ago, Red White and Brew said:

Some people will always want to act tough behind a screen. 

Gone are the days when people bring facts to arguments and instead just try and belittle others. 

Yeah you gotta watch out for the mouth breathers.

Welcome to the board

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

I think you and Dom and all the other people who want to reduce human desire and competition to an equation are grasping for control of something that is not predictable or quantifiable. A Playoff series like this is more like a prize fight than coming up with the magic determinative sum of analytic parts.

These teams are super close and this series won't be about number of zone entries or shot share or whatever analytic fuck-all. It's going to be about which group of men want it more, about who can take a punch and get back up, who can dig out that last ounce of energy when both teams are exhausted in a 2nd or 3rd overtime. Talent, skill, strategy, technique, and past performance will all be in play, but the outcome will be determined by the ability to seize the moment, endurance, resilience, heart.

Look at Boston, who looked up mid-series having completely lost their game. None of the regular season analytics would tell you shit about why that would happen, because it didn't happen until the heat and pressure conditions of a Playoff series. 

Seems like all of the forecasts revolve on pretty small differences. I'm tired of reading them. Let the fight begin. 

I don't want to do that at all. Analytics are not to be used by themselves, but they are one of the better indicators for having success. The only reason you and others want to pretend that analytics don't mean anything at all is because they don't tell you what you want to hear.

Edited by BrooksBurner

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don't want to do that at all. Analytics are not to be used by themselves, but they are one of the better indicators for having success. The only reason you and others want to pretend that analytics don't mean anything at all is because they don't tell you what you want to hear.

It's not because the analytics don't tell me what I want to hear, it's because they don't seem to be able to explain why the Rangers won the most games in the NHL this season. I think there is a variety of methodologies that can produce huge differences in outcomes - i.e. the CSA-NST discrepancy. So I don't feel like the current state of analytics deserves all the oxygen that it's taking up, because in the end, playoff series are going to be resolved by things that analytics don't and can't actually measure.

Edited by RodrigueGabriel

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The Hurricanes are literally en route to NYC for a playoff series that starts in just over 24 hours. We STILL don’t have a schedule for this series.

This is lazy, pathetic and just utterly ridiculous on the NHL’s part. 

Here it is, although no start times for any of the other games.

Edited by Sharpshooter

On 5/1/2024 at 12:23 AM, Ozzy said:

Read my lips

We win

Hey Ozzy, 

sorry to send this thread so late but I happen to run into that miserable bitter cry baby fucking bartender die hard devils fan tonight! Minding my own business and I don’t drink sitting at the bar having my sprite he starts talking shit with another devils fan I happen to know. It started with “remember when the devils won cups, 3 of them?” “Hey Ed I look over say yeah? “ “remember that devils winning cups they both chime in. Trying to goat me into a pissing contest. So I laugh at them, and I give them the yapping symbol with my hand and said “Sean, Rempe kicked your ass, kicked the devils ass, you still crying about it.?” He got steamed and said dirty fucking guy skates behind our guy hits him. I say I’m going to buy you guys a Rempe tee shirt would that make you happy?? They didn’t like when I said the name Rempe. Honest I recognize when these guys are just bitter and mad, but I also recognize that they are scared. They’re afraid the Rangers could go all the way this year and when it and Rempe could be responsible partially responsible for it ….it’s their nightmare and I love it. Sorry to send you this thread Ozzie. I know you’re one of the main guys on this website.. it’s awesome!  I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this blueshirt brotherhood stuff and I’ve learned a lot even though I’m 55. I’ve learned a lot about the Rangers go Rangers tomorrow hopefully they take the canes out in five or six

good night.

Ed 

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

You put way too much thought and energy into a guy that plays 5 minutes a game

But Rempe bends space and time around him.  It's all that gravity he exerts on the ice...

1 hour ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

You put way too much thought and energy into a guy that plays 5 minutes a game

I have a lot of practice saying this as I say it to my wife all the time… its not about length it’s about impact. 

• LMFAO 1
  • JIMMY! 2
  • Applause 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, RangersLEETCH said:

Hey Ozzy, 

sorry to send this thread so late but I happen to run into that miserable bitter cry baby fucking bartender die hard devils fan tonight! Minding my own business and I don’t drink sitting at the bar having my sprite he starts talking shit with another devils fan I happen to know. It started with “remember when the devils won cups, 3 of them?” “Hey Ed I look over say yeah? “ “remember that devils winning cups they both chime in. Trying to goat me into a pissing contest. So I laugh at them, and I give them the yapping symbol with my hand and said “Sean, Rempe kicked your ass, kicked the devils ass, you still crying about it.?” He got steamed and said dirty fucking guy skates behind our guy hits him. I say I’m going to buy you guys a Rempe tee shirt would that make you happy?? They didn’t like when I said the name Rempe. Honest I recognize when these guys are just bitter and mad, but I also recognize that they are scared. They’re afraid the Rangers could go all the way this year and when it and Rempe could be responsible partially responsible for it ….it’s their nightmare and I love it. Sorry to send you this thread Ozzie. I know you’re one of the main guys on this website.. it’s awesome!  I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this blueshirt brotherhood stuff and I’ve learned a lot even though I’m 55. I’ve learned a lot about the Rangers go Rangers tomorrow hopefully they take the canes out in five or six

good night.

Ed 

You're going to have to come to grips with the a couple of things here, Big Ed;

1. Devils fans are "special". 

2. They're also not really "fans"...most are bandwagon type....basically they're fucking idiots.  LOL

3. It's hard to be #3 in the NY market...and that's behind the Islanders...that's a whole 'nother story...but you get where I'm going here  😉

4....and most importantly...you think they're bad now?  Wait 'til we win the Cup this year!!!  Watch their faces then! ...matter of fact, I'd take a picture!

3 hours ago, siddious said:

I have a lot of practice saying this as I say it to my wife all the time… its not about length it’s about impact. 

Pete always has a great handle on this stuff.  The above speaks volumes!! 

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

If what we’ve seen through the regular season and first round of the playoffs holds, the Hurricanes will have the puck a lot more, they’ll generate more shots, more offensive zone time and more chances than New York, but that won’t be enough for them to win. The Rangers don’t need the volume of shot attempts and opportunities that the Hurricanes do to score. If Carolina is going to make this a series, its top offensive guys are going to have to be very good and better than they have been against the Rangers.

Canes’ penalty kill wasn’t as good against the Islanders as it was in the regular season (Carolina was 8-for-11 on the PK, 72.7 percent). Discipline is going to be crucial in this series because both power plays can bite you if you start taking penalties, the Rangers probably more than Carolina.

The Hurricanes have played that man-to-man on D for a long time and it’s brought them a lot of success, but not over the hump — you can break them down at times because once they lose a guy, it can be a bit of a scramble. And the Rangers have some skilled players who could force the issue there.

https://theathletic.com/5471828/2024/05/05/rangers-hurricanes-nhl-playoffs-predictions-odds?source=user-shared-article

Some great points made there, especially the first quote. 

Lots of "experts" pointing at how much "better" the Canes are at 5v5, despite naturalstattrick having Carolina at 30 more expected goals than the Rangers, they actually only scored three more at 5v5.

Carolina generates a lot at 5v5, but they don't cash at the same rate the Rangers do. The Rangers score at a much more efficient clip, they don't need as many chances to score as Carolina does. So this will be another series where xGF% isn't going to be very relevant. 

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

https://theathletic.com/5471828/2024/05/05/rangers-hurricanes-nhl-playoffs-predictions-odds?source=user-shared-article

Some great points made there, especially the first quote. 

Lots of "experts" pointing at how much "better" the Canes are at 5v5, despite naturalstattrick having Carolina at 30 more expected goals than the Rangers, they actually only scored three more at 5v5.

Carolina generates a lot at 5v5, but they don't cash at the same rate the Rangers do. The Rangers score at a much more efficient clip, they don't need as many chances to score as Carolina does. So this will be another series where xGF% isn't going to be very relevant. 

I’m of the opinion that in any playoff series that analytics don’t matter at all. 
Those are stats that matter and play well over the course of an 82-game, 6 month season. 

You can dominate a team in puck possession and shots and all that good stuff, and get goalied. 

Or just outplay a team at 5v5, but you take a bad penalty late in a tie game and they cash in and beat you. 

Or you make a horrible change on a PP and they come down and score short handed and take the momentum and the game from you.

Or you can lose one key matchup.

Or…

Or…

Or…

The only thing that matters in the playoffs is the ability of teams and coaches to find ways to win games. 

• Keeps it 100 1

12 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I’m of the opinion that in any playoff series that analytics don’t matter at all. 
Those are stats that matter and play well over the course of an 82-game, 6 month season. 

You can dominate a team in puck possession and shots and all that good stuff, and get goalied. 

Or just outplay a team at 5v5, but you take a bad penalty late in a tie game and they cash in and beat you. 

Or you make a horrible change on a PP and they come down and score short handed and take the momentum and the game from you.

Or you can lose one key matchup.

Or…

Or…

Or…

The only thing that matters in the playoffs is the ability of teams and coaches to find ways to win games. 

I completely agree.

I like the POV from that article because it's from an exec, a coach, and a player and how they view the numbers inclusive of analytics. 

POVs from guys like Dom who just stare at spreadsheets and make up models based on what they think is true don't carry as much weight IMO. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

2. They're also not really "fans"...most are bandwagon type....basically they're fucking idiots.  LOL

3. It's hard to be #3 in the NY market...and that's behind the Islanders...that's a whole 'nother story...but you get where I'm going here  😉

4....and most importantly...you think they're bad now?  Wait 'til we win the Cup this year!!!  Watch their faces then! ...matter of fact, I'd take a picture!

I have one response when a meet a Devils fan…

”So you’re the ONE?”

• LOL 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, RangersLEETCH said:

ANDREI  SVECHNIKOV

This guy concerns me. Rangers need to put someone on him and immediately when he’s on the ice. Solid stats and he’s only 24! 

LGR!!! 

Ice Hockey Wow GIF by New York Rangers

• LOL 1

I don't think I've seen a series as pre-determined as this one by the stats nerds and their advanced analytics. Well, it's a good thing the games aren't decided by simulations/models and by the players on the ice and pure grit, heart and determination...

30 mins to go. Let's get this fucking show on the road and show them there's No Quit in NY. 

• LINDY! 1
  • Believe 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Thanks Ozzy for that I needed that thread! I should just learn to ignore these idiots. These two gentlemen I’ve known for more than 25-30 years and they just up to the same old drink same old tricks. Laughed my ass off when you call devils fans “special.” Yeah I’ve noticed that over the years since the early 90s with regards to their fan base/support, it’s small. I mean even the Flyers fans I believe have a bigger base in certain areas of New Jersey!  Anyway thanks again. 
LGR!!

Ed

• Cheers 1

I find a majority of Devils fans are Islanders fans who couldn’t handle rooting for a shitty team for so many years after they won their 4 cups in a row.  What would they ever do if the Islanders and Devils were ever good at the same time and played each other in the playoffs?

• LMFAO 1