• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes — Round Two General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

A series where expectations come to die?

These two teams have been circling each other like heavyweight fighters all season long.  One team, Carolina, together with the Florida Panthers, anointed by the pundits in preseason to be the Eastern conference champion and finishing with the 3rd best regular season record in the entire NHL.   The other team, our NY Rangers.  a team with a new coach and one that was not really supposed to be there after failing last year in the playoffs against New Jersey.

The problem for these pundits is is that we are here and that we have been a nonexistent and embarrassing blip on their radar all year long.

Carolina after a sluggish start was supposed to find their form and "reel-in" the over-performing Metropolitan front runner (us) after we inevitably ran out of gas over the full 82 game season.  This narrative was reinforced in the pundit echo chamber after the trade deadline where Carolina made some significant and impressive additions.  The only problem with that idea is that the Rangers do not seem to have gotten the script.  Yes, they kept on winning but then so did we.  We won so much that we captured the 2024 Presidents trophy. 

No matter the pundits tell us.  Carolina is the more complete team.  Far better 5 on 5 than the Rangers and with comparable or better special teams on both sides.  All we did was squeak by our  first round matchup with a 4-0 sweep of the Capitals.  And now, the two teams who have been stalking each other all season long but really, these teams have been getting ready for this since that playoff game-7 Rangers victory two seasons ago....  Well now they finally get to lace them up against each other.

At fucking last.  Enough with "anointed" teams.  We are a good team.  We are healthy, rested and better coached this time around.  We are more physical top to bottom, It is high time that all of those experts to finally face the face that the Rangers have been in their collective blind spot all year long.

Get ready to eat crow motherfuckers

• Applause 1
  • Believe 2

Carolina is no slouch, but I feel this Rangers team is better, deeper and more balanced since the last postseason match-up. If Igor continues his post All Star break, we should be in pretty good shape. Again, this could go either way, and I expect a long series. Getting a guy like Guentzel definitely scares me a bit because he's killed the Rangers in the past (it seems) and is a very clutch player in general. He was a key add for the Hurricanes, and someone to watch out for in this.

If we take care of business we're going to beat Carolina.

If we don't we won't.

You never know which Ranger team is going to show up on a given night.  I favor playing Rempe because he is a huge disruption in business as usual.

Nah. You know what team is going to show up. That inconsistent shit was a Hallmark of GG. Lavvy has them organized, prepared, and dialed in.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Nah. You know what team is going to show up. That inconsistent shit was a Hallmark of GG. Lavvy has them organized, prepared, and dialed in.

Here we go!!

This here, boys!

• Cheers 1

It is funny how when Las Vegas plays a first round series against Dallas, the analysts cannot seem to form a complete sentence without mentioning what a shame it is that two Stanley cup contenders are playing each other so early but when #1 overall plays #3 overall, not a peep.

9 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

It is funny how when Las Vegas plays a first round series against Dallas, the analysts cannot seem to form a complete sentence without mentioning what a shame it is that two Stanley cup contenders are playing each other so early but when #1 overall plays #3 overall, not a peep.

There’s a big difference between the 1st and the 2nd round. When there’s just 4 teams left in each conference there will ofcourse be top contenders playing each other.

I don’t get this talk about how the format sucks because we play Carolina in round 2. Would it be any better if we played Florida or Boston? They finished 1 and 2 points behind Carolina.

46 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

I hope he's wrong, I want a 3 PM game so I can go.  

I want a 3:00 p.m. game so I can go play in my own game that night. 

• VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1

It's got to be a 3PM start.   They'll start Preds-Nucks at 6 and VGK-Dal at 8/9.

A lot of fantastic points throughout this preview thread.    I picked NYR in 6.

Just have a great feeling for this series due to the progress of our youth.   Big plays coming from Laffy, KK, Cuylle, Scheids, Miller and even Jones.  Big Matty blows up Orlov, Tony D and Brady to whip crowd into a frenzy.  Our leaders mentor this group and then Trocheck, Mika, Goody and Wenny unleash a barrage of dynamic scoring lines unmatched by any team this year.  Four lines cranking together and nobody cares who scores or assists.   Hustle and heart win cups.   Just so happens we have both, plus a whole lot of  high-end talent.

My sleeper, Kaapo Kakko.  Clanging posts turn to shredding nylon.   Believe that !    

54 minutes ago, JJ in VA said:

It's got to be a 3PM start.   They'll start Preds-Nucks at 6 and VGK-Dal at 8/9.

A lot of fantastic points throughout this preview thread.    I picked NYR in 6.

Just have a great feeling for this series due to the progress of our youth.   Big plays coming from Laffy, KK, Cuylle, Scheids, Miller and even Jones.  Big Matty blows up Orlov, Tony D and Brady to whip crowd into a frenzy.  Our leaders mentor this group and then Trocheck, Mika, Goody and Wenny unleash a barrage of dynamic scoring lines unmatched by any team this year.  Four lines cranking together and nobody cares who scores or assists.   Hustle and heart win cups.   Just so happens we have both, plus a whole lot of  high-end talent.

My sleeper, Kaapo Kakko.  Clanging posts turn to shredding nylon.   Believe that !    

Unless both series end tonight, then the Rangers game can be 1:00, 3:00, 7:00 or 8:00 PM

Posted (edited)

Athletic's model has it as 66% Canes, 34% us. I know they're the analytics darlings of the league, I know they added Guentzel, I know they got a chip on their shoulder and something to prove, but like....really? We won the President's Trophy. We won the regular season series against them. The goaltending matchup, on paper at least, is heavily lopsided. 

Many people are picking this to go to 7 games. That would scream 51% to 49% to me, if anything.

Edit: also, not for nothing, but weren't they heavy favorites in 2022 as well before they got #Igor'd?

Edited by Ranger Lothbrok

2 hours ago, Pete said:

We still had weeks this last season where the Rangers no-showed.  No room for any of that in this run.  The first time the Rangers no-show we're probably well on the way to getting cooked.

The Bruins had 2 shots on goal last night through 28 minutes.  That no-show effort ultimately cost them game 6, which was a huge deal given the collapse last season and the two straight losses this season.

I bring the Bruins up because they are a disciplined, talented, well-coached team who sometimes get totally lost even when the stakes are the highest.

Just like the Rangers do now and then.