• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes — Round Two General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

That doesn't really apply to what I said. Of course Ranger fans are going to pick the Rangers. But read the comments. Too many shook folks in the chat.

Idk seems to me like majority have the Rangers winning it quite easily.  With some a little concerned how the Rangers played down to their opponent in the Caps series.

• Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Idk seems to me like majority have the Rangers winning it quite easily.  With some a little concerned how the Rangers played down to their opponent in the Caps series.

Not the vibe I've gotten all season long, despite what's in this thread.

Carolina will be tough. No doubt about it.

Everyone loves them because of the analytics which is why they’re favored this postseason.

Couple things though:

The Rangers have handled them well over the past 2+ seasons dating back to that playoff series in ‘22.

Rangers are 9-5 against them in that span.

Also… Carolina has played so well down the stretch in large part due to how good Guentzel has been since they acquired him, and how well Freddie Andersen  has played since he came back. 

Here’s the thing that no one seems to be mentioning though, and it’s odd:

In his career Freddie Andersen HAS NEVER played this well. Ever.

Eventually you have to think they’ll be some sort of deviation back to the norm for him. 

This is a series they can win. 

25 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Here’s the thing that no one seems to be mentioning though, and it’s odd:

In his career Freddie Andersen HAS NEVER played this well. Ever.

Eventually you have to think they’ll be some sort of deviation back to the norm for him. 

He was also playing against...The Islanders.

I think Rangers fans are underestimating the Canes. They're a great team, well-coached, and relentless. Going to be a battle and the Rangers need to be sharp defensively because the Hurricanes have more of a high-end, in Guentzel and a healthy Svechnikov, than they have in past playoffs. 

• Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I think Rangers fans are underestimating the Canes. They're a great team, well-coached, and relentless. Going to be a battle and the Rangers need to be sharp defensively because the Hurricanes have more of a high-end, in Guentzel and a healthy Svechnikov, than they have in past playoffs. 

I think you're underestimating the Rangers. They're a great team, well-coached, and can play any kind of game the opponent throws at them. Going to be a battle and the Canes need to be sharp defensively because they're missing 2 NHL D-men, one of their best defensive forwards, and their goalie can get injured or lose confidence at any point based on how his career has went so far.

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)

Just running down the list:

Special Teams: Even (2 years ago: Rangers, modest edge)

Depth: Even (2 years ago: Canes, big edge)

Faceoffs: Even (2 years ago: Canes, big edge)

Physicality: Even (2 years ago: Canes, modest edge)

5v5: Canes, big edge (unchanged)

Goaltending: Rangers, big edge (unchanged)

Scoring Talent: Rangers, slight edge (2 years ago: Rangers, big edge)

Coaching: Even (2 years ago: Canes, slight edge)

I think the Rangers completely closed the gaps on depth/faceoffs/physicality/coaching, and the Canes closed the gap on special teams and narrowed the gap on scoring talent w/ the Guentzel add and progression of Jarvis/Necas. The Rangers were sizable underdogs two years ago and Igor stole it. This time around is a closer matchup in every department except two, and those two haven't changed at all from 2 years ago: 5v5 and goaltending. We talk all of the time about how the Rangers shouldn't pay Shesterkin his next contract because it's not how you build a Cup winner, and that teams should spend the money on the rest of the team because if the team is playing the right way at 5v5, then the goalie matters less. The reason for that is that, more often than not, great 5v5 play matters more than paying a great goalie. The Canes have that edge. They will have the puck in the Rangers' end of the ice more in this series. They will generate more chances, and they have a more cohesive forecheck. This is all pretty guaranteed to happen. This is why the betting odds will favor the Canes, and it should, but it's not a lock. The Rangers will need Shesterkin to be the difference again, and he's capable.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Keeps it 100 2
  • Believe 1

3 hours ago, siddious said:

I hate this going narrative… The way some of you talk about Carolina you’d think they were a dynasty or something.

theres a reason, even with the rangers many flaws, they the rangers stayed above them

in the standings ALL SEASON LONG. 

they’re better then Washington.

theyre not better than the rangers.

we own this team*

*= provided they show up and play their game. We can never be certain of this.

1 hour ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Fun times!

The odds-makers know what they’re doing and they have Canes as a clear favorite here for what it’s worth.

Igor got this. Rangers in 7.

• Believe 3

2 hours ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

It’s not just on here. DraftKings and other betting sites have the Rangers as underdogs a few analysts have said Caroll is going to take it all season long people have been saying the Rangers are lucky to be where they are fuck all that noise. This is perfect. They’re a lot better than Carolina if you ask me, they don’t have a single player and no one as good as Igor .

I know it’s trying to suck rod but love is a hell of a coach too

9 minutes ago, Karan said:

A Sunday start seems a bit premature as there's 3 Game 7s potentially happening. I would've expected a Monday start at the earliest.

So much for a rest advantage 

its possible us ranger fans are traumatized by a lot of the pathetic play in our last three playoff appearances...but those could very well be attributed to horrendous coaching

Posted (edited)

This team is only going to improve as we move along in the Playoffs.  I let the old Ghosts die after last season....

New Time....New (Better) Team....New attitude!

Enjoy the ride fellas!  This is going to be a fun one!

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I think you're underestimating the Rangers. They're a great team, well-coached, and can play any kind of game the opponent throws at them. Going to be a battle and the Canes need to be sharp defensively because they're missing 2 NHL D-men, one of their best defensive forwards, and their goalie can get injured or lose confidence at any point based on how his career has went so far.

tradfi-real.gif

39 minutes ago, Karan said:

A Sunday start seems a bit premature as there's 3 Game 7s potentially happening. I would've expected a Monday start at the earliest.

All 3 possible game 7s would be in the Western Conference, wouldnt affect the Eastern Conference at all so the NHL/ABC/ESPN can get Game 1 of Rangers/Canes nationally.  

Toronto/Bruins vs. Panthers can start their Game 1 on Monday (if Toronto/Boston goes to a Game 7 on Saturday).

Western Conference can start their Game 1s on Tuesday.  

• Like 1