• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ok, I'm on the Panarin for Hart Train

Look I’ve made the argument for the other guys before. Mackinnon, Kuch, McDavid are all having astronomical seasons. Panarin is in fourth place not that far behind and has been similarly dominant to those four this year. Yes, it’s a roughly 20 pt gap but that’s just gravy here. All four of these players have dominated almost every shift this year. It’s not the scoring title, it’s the MVP. All four of these teams are in the playoffs and likely don’t make it without the player. The difference? The rangers are the only one of those teams in position to win the league which they certainly do not do without panarin. 

Typically it’s the “in it to win it” argument but in this case you have four candidates whose teams are all in it and who are all having similarly celestial seasons. Only one team is on track to win the league and in my opinion, given the impact of these four players is relatively equal, that’s enough to sway me.

Panarin has swayed my vote for the hart and it’s really really close

Edited by Valriera

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I personally still think it's MacKinnon's to lose, however I don't have any argument against Panarin. 

This. Also this is an award where the voting is always a bit janky 

I think if you look at the point totals sure, those three are obvious but it’s not the scoring race and there are not frequently so many roughly 120 point scorers in one season. It hasn’t happened in thirty years. So to me we are past the point of looking at how many points did a player have at 120. If you already have 120million dollars, 140 just doesn’t matter that much. That’s where we are, in my opinion at least 

Just now, Valriera said:

I think if you look at the point totals sure, those three are obvious but it’s not the scoring race and there are not frequently so many roughly 120 point scorers in one season. It hasn’t happened in thirty years. So to me we are past the point of looking at how many points did a player have at 120. If you already have 120million dollars, 140 just doesn’t matter that much. That’s where we are, in my opinion at least 

Historically this goes to the top point getter and if not then someone very close to it, no? ( I’m pretty sure but too lazy to look it up) 

In most seasons, he would be almost a lock. Panarin is having a fucking freak season. He is going to finish with about 120 points or more. He is flirting with 50 goals. He plays for the best team in the league. He has a strong case. The issue is that there are so many other big name guys who have been having historic years too who have gotten so much notoriety that I feel it’s an award that is likely MacKinnons to lose. Which, like others have said, is fine. A lot of stars, like Panarin, have had just such unbelievable seasons. Whether he gets it or not means shit. This isn’t a season any of us will forget. Much like Jagr back in 2005-06. Just incredible to watch.

The last time something like this happened it went to the top point getter but that’s a red herring: that player was lemieux and he only played 60 something games that year at 160pts. By this logic it is mcdavid who will win.

i have no fucking idea what will happen lol