• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

x-New York Rangers

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Sometimes I think with analytics it's paralysis by analysis. Yeah, they can paint a real picture regarding a team in certain situations, but the playoffs is just a different animal entirely. It's more of a crapshoot than most sports postseasons. Plus, in general, a lot of people don't like the Rangers anyway. lol I've often said the only people who really like the Rangers are Rangers fans.

Completely agree.

Analytics don't take into account playoff intensity. That's why they play the games and they don't just run a report to see who should win. 

Analytics don't take into account playing the same team night after night for 2 weeks, what you learn about that team, and what you learn to hate about that other team. 

Analytics don't take into account how many players are playing through more serious injuries than they would during the season.

I think a lot of people use analytics for the wrong reasons. If you see a team or player is bad, then analytics can tell you why. Too often we see people say "they're analytics suck, therefore they suck" yet that player or team is successful on the stats that really matter (box cars).

Nobody goes into a contract negotiation and says they led the league in high danger chances created. They go in and say they had this many assists and this many goals. 

• Bullseye 1

Just now, Pete said:

Completely agree.

Analytics don't take into account playoff intensity. That's why they play the games and they don't just run a report to see who should win. 

Analytics don't take into account playing the same team night after night for 2 weeks, what you learn about that team, and what you learn to hate about that other team. 

Analytics don't take into account how many players are playing through more serious injuries than they would during the season.

I think a lot of people use analytics for the wrong reasons. If you see a team or player is bad, then analytics can tell you why. Too often we see people say "they're analytics suck, therefore they suck" yet that player or team is successful on the stats that really matter (box cars).

Nobody goes into a contract negotiation and says they led the league in high danger chances created. They go in and say they had this many assists and this many goals. 

Indeed. When it comes to goals and assists, people won't ask 'how?', it'll always be 'how many?'

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Indeed. When it comes to goals and assists, people won't ask 'how?', it'll always be 'how many?'

Add in the fact that a handful of players on this team have yet to play their best hockey. 

Mika

Kreids

Miller

Goodrow

Kakko

All have more to give. 

Nothing like a little motivation for the boys.  I actually love it when someone tells me I "can't do something".  Makes me try that much harder to make them look like an asshole. 

I like Biz though, but I know he's a Ranger hater.  He plays the "heel" and he's good in that role, but even he knows this Rangers Express train is headed his way, and these teams are standing on the tracks!

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

All that was spit out was Carolina, and how they’ve learned a lot with the losing the last few years. And how it may be their time to put it together.

Goaltending and scoring....they think Guentzel is gonna be the answer???  Pfffft....I don't think so. 

Sorry Carolina...not this year either.  They might even get bounced in the first round.

I just didn’t get the hate being spit at them by all angles. Panarin has identical numbers to Pasta, yet one is a Tier 1 MVP candidate while the other is Tier 2.

And then the bullshit about Carolina and the blatant disregard for the Rangers. As if we’re a pushover. We’ve been in 1st place since before fucking Halloween.

I hope we murder Colorado tonight.

I just didn’t get the hate being spit at them by all angles. Panarin has identical numbers to Pasta, yet one is a Tier 1 MVP candidate while the other is Tier 2.

And then the bullshit about Carolina and the blatant disregard for the Rangers. As if we’re a pushover. We’ve been in 1st place since before fucking Halloween.

Yeah, that part I don't get, considering the Rangers have pretty much owned Carolina for a good 18 years or so. lol

Make us the underdog!  I love it!!  No sweat Richie...

14 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Boston doesn't have anywhere near the supporting cast that the Rangers do.

Their top scoring D is McAvoy with 44 pts. Fox has 63 in 62. Pasta center is Zacha with 50 pts. Trocheck is P/G. And those are just boxcars. 

We can agree with the case, or disagree with it, but there's certainly is a case for Pasta over Panarin. 

44 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Sometimes I think with analytics it's paralysis by analysis. Yeah, they can paint a real picture regarding a team in certain situations, but the playoffs is just a different animal entirely. It's more of a crapshoot than most sports postseasons. Plus, in general, a lot of people don't like the Rangers anyway. lol I've often said the only people who really like the Rangers are Rangers fans.

Yeah I mean we have to do due diligence and debate correlation vs causation, but since 2008 (that's as far back as we can go) only one team with analytics as bad as the Rangers has won. Only one other team with a sub-50 xGF% has won. That's two teams with bad analytics in the last 16 years. The overwhelming majority of teams with bad analytics don't even make the playoffs.

But hey, you never know. Panarin wasn't supposed to be this good and have a career year at 32 years old either. I just don't blame analysts for taking a look and saying "Hey, wait a minute, the Rangers haven't checked out very well at 5v5, and they got a lot of points from gimmicky 3v3 OT wins (8) that don't come into play in the playoffs". It's probably the most objective, valid analysis that can be drawn from the data. It won't surprise me if they get bounced in the first or second round, and 90% of the fan base is left thinking they choked. I wouldn't see it that way because I don't see them as favorites at all.

I hope they can buck the trend. I just think they'll just need a bunch of extra bounces go their way than a normal path to the Cup.

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah I mean we have to do due diligence and debate correlation vs causation, but since 2008 (that's as far back as we can go) only one team with analytics as bad as the Rangers has won. Only one other team with a sub-50 xGF% has won. That's two teams with bad analytics in the last 16 years. The overwhelming majority of teams with bad analytics don't even make the playoffs.

But hey, you never know. Panarin wasn't supposed to be this good and have a career year at 32 years old either. I just don't blame analysts for taking a look and saying "Hey, wait a minute, the Rangers haven't checked out very well at 5v5, and they got a lot of points from gimmicky 3v3 OT wins (8) that don't come into play in the playoffs". It's probably the most objective, valid analysis that can be drawn from the data. It won't surprise me if they get bounced in the first or second round, and 90% of the fan base is left thinking they choked. I wouldn't see it that way because I don't see them as favorites at all.

I hope they can buck the trend. I just think they'll just need a bunch of extra bounces go their way than a normal path to the Cup.

Yeah, one problem I have is, yeah, they have good players, but they're just too streaky. Panarin was guilty of that, but he's been locked in. Will it carry into the playoffs where teams will be even more hyper focused on him? We don't know. Will Mika stay hot? We don't know? Will we get good Kreider or bad Kreider. There's too much past inconsistencies with our top guys. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Completely agree.

It's like your kid's coloring book. Analytics can provide the lines but you gotta fill it in with the eye test sometimes.

8 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

It's like your kid's coloring book. Analytics can provide the lines but you gotta fill it in with the eye test sometimes.

Right. Like GG year 1 The team look like they were white knuckling games just waiting for a power play. A deeper look into the analytics says that was true. 

This year, on the whole the analytics aren't pretty, but when you watch games they look like a completely different team.

29 minutes ago, Pete said:

Boston doesn't have anywhere near the supporting cast that the Rangers do.

Their top scoring D is McAvoy with 44 pts. Fox has 63 in 62. Pasta center is Zacha with 50 pts. Trocheck is P/G. And those are just boxcars. 

We can agree with the case, or disagree with it, but there's certainly is a case for Pasta over Panarin. 

I don't think many teams have the supporting cast the Rangers do. We're a deep, diverse team that finds ways to win when it shouldn't happen. We can out-skill teams, we can out-work teams, we can out-defend teams, Igor can steal games, we can grind teams down, we can surprise them with transition play.

We're not a one-trick pony anymore.

• Believe 1

On 3/27/2024 at 5:56 PM, RichieNextel305 said:

Mission is clear:

First ones in. Last ones out.

To win a Cup, often times you need to learn how to walk before you can run. We went on a deep run 2 years ago. Expectations went sky high the following year and we got humbled in the worst way possible against a bitter rival. We know the highs and lows. And we’re ready to run.

History lessons are over.

Because it’s time to make history.

I’ll be watching tonights game with my neighbour because I just ran through the wall after reading this.

LFGR!

• Believe 1