• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Can You Believe it? Mark Stone Will Be 'Out A While' With an 'Upper-body Injury'

“Out awhile.” Or, as Mark Stone calls it, “out until Game 1 of the playoffs.”

Austin Powers Laser GIF

But, I’m sure he’ll be back healthy as ever come playoff time. I didn’t see the injury but this guy always seems to get injured in the 2nd half of the year. You can’t blame people for finding it suspicious, even if there is reason behind it. Plus, I don’t know why, I’ve never been a Mark Stone fan. I get what he brings and the leadership and clutch gene he has. But I’ve always found him to be an arrogant douchebag. Add all of this crap into it? I don’t know, not a good look. Whether it is a legit thing or not.

Edited by RichieNextel305

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Can You Believe it? Mark Stone Will Be 'Out Awhile' With an 'Upper Body Injury'
  • Phil changed the title to Can You Believe it? Mark Stone Will Be 'Out A While' With an 'Upper-body Injury'

We did the same thing last year except we did it by just not playing a full roster for several games. Fat lot that did us. 

Still gotta make the playoffs then you have to win 16. This is not why they managed to do that even though I think the rule is stupid 

If the guys hurt, fine. But this is basically someone who is finding ways to not play because of an ailing back injury and they find ways to circumvent the cap because of it come playoff time.

I see no reason why teams shouldn’t have to remain cap compliant in the playoffs. That’s how you make all of this noise go away.

Vegas' position right now is not as such that they could have both Eichel and Stone out, IMO. 

There are plenty of guys who get hurt every season. Look at Kakko. Taylor Hall. Chytil. It's always something or other with these guys. 

27 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

If the guys hurt, fine. But this is basically someone who is finding ways to not play because of an ailing back injury and they find ways to circumvent the cap because of it come playoff time.

I see no reason why teams shouldn’t have to remain cap compliant in the playoffs. That’s how you make all of this noise go away.

It's not circumvention because it's in the rules, but I agree, they (and Tampa) have violated the spirit of the rules by having these "injured" players magically return the second the cap stops mattering.

8 hours ago, Phil said:

It's not circumvention because it's in the rules, but I agree, they (and Tampa) have violated the spirit of the rules by having these "injured" players magically return the second the cap stops mattering.

If you're good enough to make the playoffs without your best player... Did you really violate the rules? It's not like the replacement is Stone or Kooch level... None of this really bothers me the way it bothers everyone else. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

They’ll close the loophole. But not till they do a new CBA.

As it relates to the salary cap, it has to be collectively bargained. 

4 hours ago, Pete said:

If you're good enough to make the playoffs without your best player... Did you really violate the rules? It's not like the replacement is Stone or Kooch level... None of this really bothers me the way it bothers everyone else. 

Same. Like, yes, I get it. It violates the spirit of the hard cap, but also, fuck the hard cap. Who cares? LTIR isn't this magical benefit it feels like fans think it is because when $8, $9, $10 million players are the ones on it, it means you're losing your best players.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Same. Like, yes, I get it. It violates the spirit of the hard cap, but also, fuck the hard cap. Who cares? LTIR isn't this magical benefit it feels like fans think it is because when $8, $9, $10 million players are the ones on it, it means you're losing your best players.

Agreed. But also, if you’re team is playing well and needs a bit of a boost come the 2nd half, they can go out and get another player of equal value and then come playoffs, you have 2 guys at that price on your roster.

Lets put it this way. If the Rangers and Hurricanes are battling for the division and we have the option of winning the division with Panarin or losing Panarin from early-March until the regular season ends but I can acquire Artemi Panarin 2.0 at the deadline (same player, same AAV, same everything) but we slide to 2nd place in the division, I might be tempted to take that route knowing I can have 2 Panarins in the playoffs for a run.

Not that that is much of an option here considering it’s not a market overflowing with talent. But still, you get the point here.

9 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Agreed. But also, if you’re team is playing well and needs a bit of a boost come the 2nd half, they can go out and get another player of equal value and then come playoffs, you have 2 guys at that price on your roster.

Lets put it this way. If the Rangers and Hurricanes are battling for the division and we have the option of winning the division with Panarin or losing Panarin from early-March until the regular season ends but I can acquire Artemi Panarin 2.0 at the deadline (same player, same AAV, same everything) but we slide to 2nd place in the division, I might be tempted to take that route knowing I can have 2 Panarins in the playoffs for a run.

Not that that is much of an option here considering it’s not a market overflowing with talent. But still, you get the point here.

But Tampa and Vegas aren't adding star-caliber players when these guys
get hurt.

Right. This is what I mean when I say "I get it," but it doesn't actually map to reality. Like Pete said, teams aren't adding stars to backfill when theirs get hurt. Tampa was probably the most egregious violation of the spirit of this rule when Kucherov was out the entire year, but I'm pretty sure they turned around and added like David Savard or something?

But then there’s this…

This is what I mean. The fact they can now actively enter negotiations for someone like Guentzel knowing full well Stone will be out there for Game 1 is ludicrous. If you have to be cap compliant during the season, why do the rules go out the window in the playoffs?

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Because players don't get paid in the playoffs.

I’m just saying that it gives teams loopholes is all. To me, this is a loophole. And it needs to be figured out. I get it that most of the time, these injuries are genuine injuries and are treated as such. But the fact this is a question now with a second franchise is a little over the top. And should Vegas swing a trade for someone like Guentzel, those whispers will grow even louder.

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’m just saying that it gives teams loopholes is all. To me, this is a loophole. And it needs to be figured out. I get it that most of the time, these injuries are genuine injuries and are treated as such. But the fact this is a question now with a second franchise is a little over the top. And should Vegas swing a trade for someone like Guentzel, those whispers will grow even louder.

Everything has a loophole. 

Would be upset if the Rangers traded for a top line RW at the deadline and then Chytil came back?

Edited by Pete

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

Everything has a loophole. 

Would be upset if the Rangers traded for a top line RW at the deadline and then Chytil came back?

I would be a hypocrite if I said anything other than yes, so I’ll say yes. I would think it was shady business. I’m not a fan of it. 

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

But then there’s this…

This is what I mean. The fact they can now actively enter negotiations for someone like Guentzel knowing full well Stone will be out there for Game 1 is ludicrous. If you have to be cap compliant during the season, why do the rules go out the window in the playoffs?

Because this is how it was written into the CBA. Both the PA and NHL agreed to this.

Ironically enough, the Lightning suggested eliminating this "loophole" two years before the Kucherov debacle and it was turned down.

24 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I would be a hypocrite if I said anything other than yes, so I’ll say yes. I would think it was shady business. I’m not a fan of it. 

It's no secret that Stone has a long injury history. He also doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who's going to sit out if he can play.

I don't really see any team sitting out their best players, willingly.

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

But then there’s this…

I agree with you, either have the cap through the regular season and playoffs or don’t have a cap at all.

This guy doesn't get hurt, he gets injured. Like, fucking hospitalized injured every time. Next year they're gonna be like "sounds like Vegas' Mark Stone is dealing with a partially severed head. Timeline is tough to pin down with an injury of that nature, but it’s obviously a significant one."

• LMFAO 1
  • JIMMY! 1

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

This guy doesn't get hurt, he gets injured. Like, fucking hospitalized injured every time. Next year they're gonna be like "sounds like Vegas' Mark Stone is dealing with a partially severed head. Timeline is tough to pin down with an injury of that nature, but it’s obviously a significant one."

Soft GIF

27 minutes ago, Phil said:

Upper body or Lower?  😉

• LMFAO 1
  • JIMMY! 1