• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mikhail Sergachev Out Indefinitely After Surgery to Repair Fractures in Left Tibia and Fibula

23 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Oh god that's horrific, that's at least six months, but thankfully it is an injury people can recover from (unlike repeated concussions or ankle breaks, for instance). Wish him well

Stamkos returned from a similar injury in 3 months. 45 games missed.

He could conceivably be back for the playoffs. 

21 hours ago, Pete said:

Stamkos returned from a similar injury in 3 months. 45 games missed.

He could conceivably be back for the playoffs. 

From a break in both? I thought Stamkos was only one of those leg bones but i forgot which 

30 minutes ago, Valriera said:

From a break in both? I thought Stamkos was only one of those leg bones but i forgot which 

I'm not 100% sure. I can dig deeper later. At this point his regular season is over, and TB might not even make the playoffs.

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Stamkos broke his right tibia when he had that gruesome injury in Boston a few years back. 

In my research, they say Stamkos may have just fractured his tibia when he hit the post and then made it worse by trying to stand.  With the fracture, it would have been put in a cast for weeks, which would have the end result of muscle atrophy from not using the leg.  Trying to stand displaced the fracture, requiring a rod to be placed in the bone.  Although the surgery to place the rod is more invasive they say it actually has a quicker recovery time since you can walk on it sooner than the cast route, thus not needing to rebuild the leg's strength.  

With the way Sergahev's foot bent the wrong way, I'd guess he'll get rods placed in the tib and fib.  My sister had this done after a skiing injury.  My brother in law says when he got to her she was lying on her back and her foot was flopped to the side flat on the ground.  All that said, probably a similar timeline to Stamkos.

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

In my research, they say Stamkos may have just fractured his tibia when he hit the post and then made it worse by trying to stand.  With the fracture, it would have been put in a cast for weeks, which would have the end result of muscle atrophy from not using the leg.  Trying to stand displaced the fracture, requiring a rod to be placed in the bone.  Although the surgery to place the rod is more invasive they say it actually has a quicker recovery time since you can walk on it sooner than the cast route, thus not needing to rebuild the leg's strength.  

With the way Sergahev's foot bent the wrong way, I'd guess he'll get rods placed in the tib and fib.  My sister had this done after a skiing injury.  My brother in law says when he got to her she was lying on her back and her foot was flopped to the side flat on the ground.  All that said, probably a similar timeline to Stamkos.

Looked like a spiral fracture from twisting rather than from impact like Stamkos.