• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Marty Walsh 'Extremely Disappointed' With Coyotes Situation

This league is talking about expanding to another market with expansion. It shouldn’t be. It should be doing it via relocation. Enough is enough with this pathetic excuse for a franchise. They need to move. This is an embarrassment. I feel sorry for the people that are loyal toward the team. But Bettman needs to accept the inevitable and move this franchise to another deserving location. Enough is enough already.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Applause 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

15 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

This league is talking about expanding to another market with expansion. It shouldn’t be. It should be doing it via relocation. Enough is enough with this pathetic excuse for a franchise. They need to move. This is an embarrassment. I feel sorry for the people that are loyal toward the team. But Bettman needs to accept the inevitable and move this franchise to another deserving location. Enough is enough already.

Idk the figures, but I imagine the league (or someone or some entity) makes more money on expansion vs relocation. 
I digress though. You’re right. 

17 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Haha, send em to Atlanta so they can continue to struggle.

21 minutes ago, phillyb said:

Idk the figures, but I imagine the league (or someone or some entity) makes more money on expansion vs relocation. 
I digress though. You’re right. 

The salary cap is directly linked to hockey related revenue... The fact I have one franchise operating in the red literally hurts the entire league. You can't offset that with an expansion fee. 

48 minutes ago, Pete said:

The salary cap is directly linked to hockey related revenue... The fact I have one franchise operating in the red literally hurts the entire league. You can't offset that with an expansion fee. 

Especially because expansion fees don't count towards HRR. Those checks go directly to owners. The "benefit" to the players in these cases are the jobs/contracts associated with a new franchise.

Making the trip out to Arizona in March for Rangers/Coyotes just so I can experience an NHL game in a college barn.  Figured the Coyotes won't be playing there too much longer.  I'm sitting like 6 rows off the ice, in a row all to myself since the row has 1 seat.  🤣

Edited by Blue Heaven

Arizona is a good market, but this has gone far and for too long.  Move them.  At such time as Phoenix wants to build a good rink, they can seek to move one of the other lame franchises there.

Update coming soon on Coyotes future. As Phil’s post says, it seems  like there’s 3 options:

1:) Find a site and start the building process

2:) Sell the team and keep them in Arizona

3: Relocation to Salt Lake City

At this point, this charade has been going on for so long that it has become a joke.

Think of this logically: they have played 65 home games in Mullet Arena. If they sold out all 65 (more than a season and a half worth of games), that would bring in 325,000 fans. Or, for you math nerds out there, what the Rangers would bring in for 18 home games this season. Our game against Chicago over a month ago was our 18th home game. Simply insane. 

At some point, the league needs to stop the bleeding and stop this charade. And I’m glad Zero Hour is approaching. Either build an arena or move this poor franchise to a more deserving market where they’re not playing in a fucking flea market. Just awful business.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Of the options Seravalli notes, I don't see how options 1 or 2 are any more viable than the situation they're in now with the current owner. It's upwards of six more seasons playing at ASU.

It's Salt Lake City.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Phil said:

Of the options Seravalli notes, I don't see how options 1 or 2 are any more viable than the situation they're in now with the current owner. It's upwards of six more seasons playing at ASU.

It's Salt Lake City.

This. What is changing ownership going to do for a new arena? A new owner can't snap his fingers and have a complex built overnight. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

It's Salt Lake City.

I think Salt Lake City is the guaranteed answer. However a rebrand comes along with that; what's the new name?

Utah Yeti

Utah Swarm (Utah is the beehive state)

Edited by jsm7302

I really don't want them to move and get a new name after finally going back to the classic Kachina look. But, if the NHL wants to add new teams, I'd rather they relocate one instead of adding yet another new one fresh. This whole thing has become a charade.

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

I really don't want them to move and get a new name after finally going back to the classic Kachina look. But, if the NHL wants to add new teams, I'd rather they relocate one instead of adding yet another new one fresh. This whole thing has become a charade.

It’s a shame because I love their identity and they’re actually building a pretty awesome team now too. 

18 minutes ago, siddious said:

It’s a shame because I love their identity and they’re actually building a pretty awesome team now too. 

Yeah, this season has been a very encouraging one for their future. People might scoff at Arizona not being a traditional hockey market or whatever, but I don't know about that. Like most teams out there, there are a lot of transplants, so you're going to see a ton of fans of opposing teams in the stands. That's just how it is. I never thought it was bad having a hockey team there, though. I remember their 'golden' years with Tkahuck, Roenick, Khabibulin, etc. Those were good times.

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, this season has been a very encouraging one for their future. People might scoff at Arizona not being a traditional hockey market or whatever, but I don't know about that. Like most teams out there, there are a lot of transplants, so you're going to see a ton of fans of opposing teams in the stands. That's just how it is. I never thought it was bad having a hockey team there, though. I remember their 'golden' years with Tkahuck, Roenick, Khabibulin, etc. Those were good times.

at the end of the day, just the presence of transplants isn't sustainable. it helps, sure. But transplants aren't buying season tix and you can't rely on road fans to keep you profitable. When Vegas got a team, I think the overall thought among NHL fans was that this would be their model, but they made sure it wasn't. THeir quick success helped things sure, but they made it a place that locals would want to go to and a team they would want to support.

The AZ Market has spoken, they don't want to support this team. I feel bad for the fans who have, and I've typically been of the mind that they should do whatever they can to keep the team where it is. But it's gone on long enough.

The public referendum on a new arena, completely privately funded, got a no vote from the voters. 

Maybe the owners were lazy and didn't think they needed to do a PR campaign and it would be an easy Yes passage which is just another example of the constant mismanagement of this team. Or maybe it was fully intentional, pretending to do everything in their power to keep the team before moving them. Either way, enough is enough. Time to move. There are markets that want a team and that will support a new team. AZ doesn't want to.

Hopefully, this up and coming team can make an immediate impact on a new market and have success. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

at the end of the day, just the presence of transplants isn't sustainable. it helps, sure. But transplants aren't buying season tix and you can't rely on road fans to keep you profitable. When Vegas got a team, I think the overall thought among NHL fans was that this would be their model, but they made sure it wasn't. THeir quick success helped things sure, but they made it a place that locals would want to go to and a team they would want to support.

The AZ Market has spoken, they don't want to support this team. I feel bad for the fans who have, and I've typically been of the mind that they should do whatever they can to keep the team where it is. But it's gone on long enough.

The public referendum on a new arena, completely privately funded, got a no vote from the voters. 

Maybe the owners were lazy and didn't think they needed to do a PR campaign and it would be an easy Yes passage which is just another example of the constant mismanagement of this team. Or maybe it was fully intentional, pretending to do everything in their power to keep the team before moving them. Either way, enough is enough. Time to move. There are markets that want a team and that will support a new team. AZ doesn't want to.

Hopefully, this up and coming team can make an immediate impact on a new market and have success. 

Yeah, I mean the 'no' vote is probably the death knell for this franchise in Phoenix/Glendale/somewhere in Arizona unfortunately. And yeah, I think the fact that they are a young and up and coming team will really help the league once again. It helped with Vegas (although it was rigged that way) and it helped in Seattle to a lesser degree. You move the Coyotes to Atlanta or Utah and you'll have an instant playoff team, or at the very least, a bubble one for another year or so at worse.