• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Shesterkin

25 minutes ago, Phil said:

Do Not Pay That Man™

This is the at the crux of any convo about Shesterkin. His inconsistencies, which according to this season can last 2 fuckin months, are reason enough to not pay him his next contract. 

3 minutes ago, phillyb said:

This is the at the crux of any convo about Shesterkin. His inconsistencies, which according to this season can last 2 fuckin months, are reason enough to not pay him his next contract. 

But there’s also the flip side of him being himself and stealing games.

I'm willing to kick the can down the road with Igor.  We have time with him still before that decision is made.  Let's see what he does the rest of this season, the playoffs, and then what he gives us to start the year next year.

I'm not going to judge him solely based on this 2 month long slump.  He's been sensational up to that point, so...the same as everyone:  The full body of work.

• Keeps it 100 1

Next season is a big year for him, contract year and everything. It will be interesting to see. The team in front of him hasn't been good, but he's still given up a lot of bad goals, and just doesn't look comfortable most of the time. Hopefully he hasn't peaked already. If he has, hopefully Garand is ready soon. lol

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Next season is a big year for him, contract year and everything. It will be interesting to see. The team in front of him hasn't been good, but he's still given up a lot of bad goals, and just doesn't look comfortable most of the time. Hopefully he hasn't peaked already. If he has, hopefully Garand is ready soon. lol

I think we could even get a UFA goalie after next season, if we don't wanna go the Igor route.  Keep an eye on this guy: Karel Vejmelka, on Arizona.  He's been very good on a very shitty Coyotes team. 

I have the Center Ice package, so I can catch these late one's now.  I think he's pretty good, but probably need some input from Pete, or maybe one of the other guys that's played goalie to give you more scoop on his technique.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think we could even get a UFA goalie after next season, if we don't wanna go the Igor route.  Keep an eye on this guy: Karel Vejmelka, on Arizona.  He's been very good on a very shitty Coyotes team. 

I have the Center Ice package, so I can catch these late one's now.  I think he's pretty good, but probably need some input from Pete, or maybe one of the other guys that's played goalie to give you more scoop on his technique.

That's a good name. I actually found him to be quite underrated. He didn't get a lot of talk for being on bad teams, but I thought he was one of the better goalies in the league that no one talks about.

• VINNY! 1

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It's monstrous, but the next three months say far more about his future than next year will. Shesterkin hasn't been just "bad", he's been atrocious. He's 40th in save percent among goalies who have played 15 or more games so far. His GAA is pushing 3. He's not in the Vezina or the Verygoodzina conversation at all - he's performing like John Gibson or Alexandar Georgiev. 

I'll concede that this is a bizarre year for goalies. A lot of the names are wildly underperforming. But when his partner is among the top 10 in most goalie stats and he's around "backup" level, it's a glaring issue. 

He needs to rebound from this immediately. For the sake of this team and frankly, for the sake of the contract he expects to sign.

50 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

It's monstrous, but the next three months say far more about his future than next year will. Shesterkin hasn't been just "bad", he's been atrocious. He's 40th in save percent among goalies who have played 15 or more games so far. His GAA is pushing 3. He's not in the Vezina or the Verygoodzina conversation at all - he's performing like John Gibson or Alexandar Georgiev. 

I'll concede that this is a bizarre year for goalies. A lot of the names are wildly underperforming. But when his partner is among the top 10 in most goalie stats and he's around "backup" level, it's a glaring issue. 

He needs to rebound from this immediately. For the sake of this team and frankly, for the sake of the contract he expects to sign.

It is odd to see a lot of goaltender's numbers around the league and how poor they are. Is it just one of those things this year? Are players just giving goalies different looks and getting more creative?

On 1/29/2024 at 11:19 AM, jsm7302 said:

Scary question.....then what?

This team is so tied to goaltenders that I think they pay him regardless which I don't agree with.

Sign anyone who will give you league average goal tending. The year Shesterkin is UFA is filled with options — Saros, Ullmark, Hill, Husso, Georgiev, Vejmelka, Charlie Lindgren.

Extending him this summer seems out of the question.  It would mean a commitment that would run NINE years into the future after what, even if he has a good finish, would be an uneven season.  Moody as Sheshty is, I hope he doesn't get annoyed with the Rangers if they take their time evaluating him during next season.

One exception to all of this might be if Sheshty were willing to take somewhat reduced term and money this summer, given that he's not coming off a good year.  Not that likely, but possible.

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

Sign anyone who will give you league average goal tending. The year Shesterkin is UFA is filled with options — Saros, Ullmark, Hill, Husso, Georgiev, Vejmelka, Charlie Lindgren.

if those options hit the free market.  And I really dont want Georgiev back

1 minute ago, BreakawayMachine said:

Igor is great as long as they dont shoot high glove, low blocker, 5 hole, backhand, one-timer or a breakaway. Other than those, outstanding.

He’s like 0/12 on goal attempts too

Online Dating Lose GIF

• LOL 1

He definitely should shelve the retro setup, as sweet as it is.

He's not big enough to use darker colored gear, he needs to be in all white, it gives him the best chance for success. 

• Believe 1