• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brendan Gallagher Suspended 5 Games for Elbowing Adam Pelech in the Head

I have no idea what this little bastard was thinking. Such a deliberate and stupid move. These are the exact hits this league is trying to get rid of. This was about as obvious and blatant as it could possibly get.

He will surely be looking at a pretty lengthy suspension here. There is no excuse for this and simply no place for it in the game. I don’t know what he can say to justify it because there is no justifying it. It’s not a hockey play. Even though Gallagher, for as pesky and annoying as he could be, has never had a suspension in his career, I can’t imagine he escapes with a slap on the wrist here; even as idiotic as the DOPS could be at times. The league needs to make an example here and show that these non-hockey plays that are beyond blatant and stupid have no place in the sport whatsoever.

EDIT: 5 games.

Edited by RichieNextel305

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Brendan Gallagher Given a 5 Minute Major and Game Misconduct for Brutal Elbow; Suspension Incoming

Giving an elbow to the jaw when you're 5'9", is never going to fly under the radar. Dude had his chicken wing way above shoulder height and aimed directly at Pelech's head. Add it to the bin of cruddy hits that have happened this year. I think you're remiss to believe this will garner anything significant suspension wise. 3-5 games imo would be on par with what we have seen this year (not that I agree with it). However if this dude placed an out of state wager through a friend then say good bye to the rest of your season Mr. Gallagher!!

Honestly looks like he mistimed the hit by about a quarter second. I don’t think he came out here like I’m about to elbow the guy. It looks like he went for the shoulder and then when pelech went the other way a bit he didn’t pull out of the hit and still tried to make it which is where he went wrong. Deserving of a suspension for sure but I don’t think it’s particularly malicious, just reckless 

27 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

I don’t understand how players don’t respect one another to do shit like that.  Discipline needs to be harsher to stop shit like this if the players can’t be smarter

Have you seen this man?

Ice Hockey Wow GIF by New York Rangers

4-5 games just says, "until next time" from the league. 

You want this kind of stuff out of the game? 41 games. 69 games. 82 games, but it seems clear to me that punishment isn’t really used as a deterrent in this league. 

I wonder what other solutions there might be: 

- Allowable fines more than 5k, perhaps a sliding scale. No reason a guy making 6m per year can only be fined 5k. 

- Prevent the player from playing in the playoffs

- Dock the team's salary cap next season

I know any suggestion would need to be signed off by all parties who agree on this kind of thing, but I'll reiterate my pseudo point: short suspensions are slaps on the wrist and not a very pro-active approach to removing intentional flying elbows to players' heads. 

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Brendan Gallagher Suspended 5 Games for Elbowing Adam Pelech in the Head
10 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Can you really not differentiate between this hit (and really all of Trouba's hits) and Gallagher's?

A chicken wing to the head is a chicken wing to the head. 

I understand people want to look past it because he's a Ranger, but the comment I was responding to was about players not respecting each other...Trouba is guilty as sin for that

Edited by Pete

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

A chicken wing to the head is a chicken wing to the head. 

I understand people want to look past it because he's a Ranger, but the comment I was responding to was about players not respecting each other...Trouba is guilty as sin for that

Kind of fits the mold of "just because it isn't a crime, doesn't mean it isn't morally wrong".

Trouba catches guys with clean hits but the timing is definitely there to be predatory. I love seeing the big hits from a fan perspective but from a human perspective and knowing what it does to a brain, probably not the best thing. I hear the overseas leagues don't have this hard hitting hockey. Is it penalized or is it just a mutual respect?

1 minute ago, jsm7302 said:

Kind of fits the mold of "just because it isn't a crime, doesn't mean it isn't morally wrong".

Trouba catches guys with clean hits but the timing is definitely there to be predatory. I love seeing the big hits from a fan perspective but from a human perspective and knowing what it does to a brain, probably not the best thing. I hear the overseas leagues don't have this hard hitting hockey. Is it penalized or is it just a mutual respect?

They play on a wider rink, there's not as much hitting in general in open ice. There's just too much room for players to go wide. There's a decent amount of board play, but no big hits. 

9 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

In Trouba’s defense, he doesnt go for the head. He usually goes shoulder to chest. If he catches the head, it’s purely accidental. 

european hockey culture is different. The sport is not violent like its in NA. 

9 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

In Trouba’s defense, he doesnt go for the head. He usually goes shoulder to chest. If he catches the head, it’s purely accidental. 

european hockey culture is different. The sport is not violent like its in NA. 

I would challenge that he doesn't go for the head, but even if what you're saying is true... Maybe he doesn't go for it, but he sure doesn't care if he catches it. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I would challenge that he doesn't go for the head, but even if what you're saying is true... Maybe he doesn't go for it, but he sure doesn't care if he catches it. 

Idk. Maybe. But he’s not a dirty player. 

• Like 1