• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bergeron to Return?

16 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

The only reason he would do this is for another shot at a Cup. 

And even then I don’t see it.

Yea, it doesn't make much sense to me. Guy has accomplished all there is to accomplish. Enjoy retirement and don't put a mark on your past career which was stellar. Bruins are not winning the cup this year.

20 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Yea, it doesn't make much sense to me. Guy has accomplished all there is to accomplish. Enjoy retirement and don't put a mark on your past career which was stellar. Bruins are not winning the cup this year.

I don’t think so either.

But I also think the bigger point is how banged up was he late last season and vs Florida in that 1st Round series.

He looked like a shell of himself. Only played a few games.

Was really overmatched and probably shouldn’t have been playing with those injuries.

The only thing I can think of is this…

I know I don’t have 80-100 games in me anymore. But I do have 40-50. 

He’s 38. Lots of miles. And tons of playoff games playing huge minutes in very hard matchups. 

He knows that with everything he couldn’t likely stand up to the rigors of a full season.
They watched his minutes and workload last season. 

Maybe though, he feels if he comes back, say after the All-Star break, it’s manageable.

They’d have roughly 30 games left. 
They could ramp his minutes up gradually. 
He wouldn’t even need to play every single night down the stretch. They could shelter him some. Manage his minutes and give him a maintenance day whenever he needs one. 
And then you have him on your playoff roster, rested, fresh, and he could give you 20-25 really good playoff games.

IDK

Also… they have no cap space so if he does come back, it’s likely for very little money.

Edited by RangersIn7

Bruins have a lot of good players injured right now. He's probably just measuring how good they are in anticipation of one more run.

He went out as a highly productive player, so I'm not sure he would be embarrassing himself out of all my coming back if he chose to do it. 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bruins have a lot of good players injured right now. He's probably just measuring how good they are in anticipation of one more run.

He went out as a highly productive player, so I'm not sure he would be embarrassing himself out of all my coming back if he chose to do it. 

There’s still very much some very good hockey left in him.

He was great last year before he got hurt.

That said… I don’t believe he would have made it through this season if he’d stuck around. With all the injuries and miles and at his age, it’s pretty questionable.

But… 

Could he come back, give you 20-25 regular season games to ramp up, and excellent play in another 20-25 playoff games?

With sheltering and management and maintenance?

I believe so, yes.

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

If he’s healthy vs Florida last year… I don’t in anyway think that they lose that series 

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

There’s still very much some very good hockey left in him.

He was great last year before he got hurt.

That said… I don’t believe he would have made it through this season if he’d stuck around. With all the injuries and miles and at his age, it’s pretty questionable.

But… 

Could he come back, give you 20-25 regular season games to ramp up, and excellent play in another 20-25 playoff games?

With sheltering and management and maintenance?

I believe so, yes.

He played over 70 games last 2 seasons...

2 hours ago, Pete said:

This. He'd be for this year's team what Krejci was for last year's.

40 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Speculation over. He’s not returning.

I think it's crazy that people think guys who have played hockey every day of their life since they're probably five or six years old are just going to stop skating when they retire.

Whitney is an idiot.