• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Marc-Andre Fleury Passes Patrick Roy for Second All-time in Wins

Good for him. Like Tom Brady and Chipper Jones, two other legendary figures in other sports who have tormented my teams, I have grown to appreciate Fleury over the years with his quirkiness and his love of the game. While Fleury didn’t “torment” the Rangers the way Brady did the Jets or Chipper the Mets, his most wins against any NHL team is against us with 34.

Edited by RichieNextel305

5 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

yeah...Brodeur, Roy, now Fleury...these are GREAT goalies.  Cant be just good and rack up that many wins.  

There's an argument to be made that Hasek was better than all of them. 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

not if you look at total wins.  Not saying Hasek wasnt great but Roy reinvented the goalie position while breaking records.  

I don't think total wins is the end-all-be-all barometer. Hasek also reinvented the position with his athleticism.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I don't think total wins is the end-all-be-all barometer. Hasek also reinvented the position with his athleticism.

i disagree.  No goalie plays like Hasek, other than Quick.  Every goalie that plays any kind of hockey at any level plays the butterfly. 

33 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

i disagree.  No goalie plays like Hasek, other than Quick.  Every goalie that plays any kind of hockey at any level plays the butterfly. 

Okay well I disagree that wins is the end all be all. Agree to disagree. 🤝

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Agreed.

To be perfectly honest, and this isn’t biased at all, but I definitely think Henrik was better than Fleury. Henrik also didn’t play with 2 generational superstars for the duration of his career the way Fleury did outside of 2004. So obviously, Fleury is going to trump Hank in wins due to playing longer and playing on better teams. But I still think Hank was the better goalie of the 2.

Thats an easy one to debate, just because they played in the same era. I hate when debates are from 2 different players from 2 different generations.

In Brodeur's defense, almost every team was trapping and clutching and grabbing. The game was becoming a slog. Yet, despite that, he was still much better than everyone else, save for guys like Hasek and Roy who were right there. As far as wins and shutouts go, Brodeur is basically the Wayne Gretzky of goaltenders. I don't see anyone touching those numbers for quite some time, if ever, and he played a lot of those years without the shootout.

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

In Brodeur's defense, almost every team was trapping and clutching and grabbing. The game was becoming a slog. Yet, despite that, he was still much better than everyone else, save for guys like Hasek and Roy who were right there. As far as wins and shutouts go, Brodeur is basically the Wayne Gretzky of goaltenders. I don't see anyone touching those numbers for quite some time, if ever, and he played a lot of those years without the shootout.

Aside from Roy's win total in the real season. That's going to be awfully hard to surpass IMO.

34 minutes ago, Karan said:

Aside from Roy's win total in the real season. That's going to be awfully hard to surpass IMO.

Indeed. All extremely difficult. Growing up seeing Brodeur, Hasek and Roy in their primes was something else. What a time.

It’s Brodeurs longevity that will make that one hard to top. I remember watching him play at the Stadium Series game in the Bronx and thinking to myself how insane it was that I’m sitting here watching Rick Nash and that edition of the Rangers fire away on him when he also dealt with the 1994 Rangers. I mean, shit. What a long time.