• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Leafs Re-sign William Nylander to 8-year/$92m Extension; $11.5m AAV

• Phil changed the title to Leafs, Nylander Aiming to Sign $11.25m x 8 Ballpark Extension Before All-star Break
5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That's going to make their cap situation tighter than a clam's ass with lock-jaw!

Kinda, sorta, maybe, but probably not. It all depends on what they decide they're doing with the rest of their core. Nylander, Bertuzzi, Domi, Brodie, and Giordano are all UFA this summer. Tavares and Marner are UFA next summer. They basically have to make it work for one year, then they get back a ton of cap room because neither one of those guys is an $11 million player again after this.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Kinda, sorta, maybe, but probably not. It all depends on what they decide they're doing with the rest of their core. Nylander, Bertuzzi, Domi, Brodie, and Giordano are all UFA this summer. Tavares and Marner are UFA next summer. They basically have to make it work for one year, then they get back a ton of cap room because neither one of those guys is an $11 million player again after this.

I was checking just next season, but there is going to be a little cap relief with the increase.  I'm sure they'll make it work, but it sure looks tighter than my pants after an all-you-can-eat buffet!  😉

My guess is Tavares will sign a sweetheart deal up there to give them plenty of room to move around. Marner still gunna command a decent chunk though. Wierd they have all this talent and can't win a cup.

Our equivalent:

Panarin- Marner

Zibanejad- Matthews

Kreider- Nylander

Trochek- Tavares

I guess they don't have a Fox or Shesterkin so that could be the main difference.

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

My guess is Tavares will sign a sweetheart deal up there to give them plenty of room to move around. Marner still gunna command a decent chunk though. Wierd they have all this talent and can't win a cup.

Our equivalent:

Panarin- Marner

Zibanejad- Matthews

Kreider- Nylander

Trochek- Tavares

I guess they don't have a Fox or Shesterkin so that could be the main difference.

How are any of those equivalent lol?

Panarin (11.6M) - Marner (10.9M)

Zib (8.5M) - Matthews (13.5M)

Kreider (6.5M) - Nylander (soon to be 11.5M)

Trochek (5.6M) - Tavares (11M)

Total: ~34M - 47M

They don't have a cup because half their cap is used on four players. A situation we will need to avoid.

It's also why paying nylander like this is a really silly move. Let him sign for the money in the desert somewhere if you are serious about winning. You simply can't win with this much cap devoted to so few players. Ask Edmonton, whose two players are vastly superior to anyone on that list from both teams, and they will tell you the same thing.  

2 hours ago, Valriera said:

How are any of those equivalent lol?

Panarin (11.6M) - Marner (10.9M)

Zib (8.5M) - Matthews (13.5M)

Kreider (6.5M) - Nylander (soon to be 11.5M)

Trochek (5.6M) - Tavares (11M)

Total: ~34M - 47M

They don't have a cup because half their cap is used on four players. A situation we will need to avoid.

It's also why paying nylander like this is a really silly move. Let him sign for the money in the desert somewhere if you are serious about winning. You simply can't win with this much cap devoted to so few players. Ask Edmonton, whose two players are vastly superior to anyone on that list from both teams, and they will tell you the same thing.  

I wasn't talking salary; I meant more so the role on the team and comparing the talent.

10 hours ago, phillyb said:

Which is funny cause he'd be great bait for TOR to get a solid 1D. But I haven't followed them for the last 2 seasons nearly as much as I did prior - is that still a need for them?

Would they want a disinterested and battleless Adam 🦊?

I'd do it.

Deal now official. 8 years, $92 Million. Leafs incredibly top heavy. And still have major questions in net. But their top tier talent is right in the conversation with the best in the entire league.

I still have questions about their depth. And I never thought they would be able to re-sign him. But, another big ticket Leaf stays for a huge deal. 

Edited by RichieNextel305

• Phil changed the title to Leafs Re-Sign William Nylander to 8-Year/$92M Extension; $11.5M AAV
  • Phil changed the title to Leafs Re-sign William Nylander to 8-year/$92m Extension; $11.5m AAV
12 minutes ago, Phil said:

The idea of this guy at double digits is so unsettling to me. Good player. Great goal-scorer, but this feels like it's gonna age like milk.

People thought the same about 🍞. Hasn't hindered us too much.

3 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

People thought the same about 🍞. Hasn't hindered us too much.

I don't see Nylander on the same level as Panarin. I'm not even sure where Nylander ranks in an all-league sense. I guess maybe top-20? Not top-10. Yet he's about to be the like fourth-highest paid player in the league? Just feels wrong.

I get why this is the case due to taxes, but Nylander feels like he belongs in the Tkachuk bracket (9.5).

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't see Nylander on the same level as Panarin. I'm not even sure where Nylander ranks in an all-league sense. I guess maybe top-20? Not top-10. Yet he's about to be the like fourth-highest paid player in the league? Just feels wrong.

I get why this is the case due to taxes, but Nylander feels like he belongs in the Tkachuk bracket (9.5).

Feels like his contact value is on the basis of him providing similar production to this season (i.e. 110+ point pace) for the next few years. I also don't rate him to be as dynamic of a forward as Panarin. He's been involved on a heck of a lot of Leafs goals this season, but I feel like he regresses back to a ~90 point pace and this season is more of a contract-year anomaly. In which case, yeah he'd end up being overpaid by a couple million. But what else is new in Leafs Nation...

Edited by Karan

Incredibly poor cap management.

As someone else implied in this thread; the Leafs would have been so much better off turning that 11.5 million per year into a Kreider and Trochek or Fox and Shesterkin. The correct play would have been to flip him for major assets before the season started, and banked that money for a Marner who is a better scorer.

Not sure where they go from here, but keep trying to win with the same top heavy team.