• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Blues' Jordan Kyrou, Booed in Win, Sorry for Berube Remarks

When Kyrou was asked about his relationship with Berube on Thursday, he responded: "I've got no comment. He's not my coach anymore." Meanwhile, Kyrou praised interim coach Drew Bannister, calling it a "fresh start" for the team and a chance to "get our culture back a little bit."

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39117128/blues-jordan-kyrou-booed-win-sorry-berube-remarks

• Thanks 1

Oh...

Here I am in my head imagining this timeline: 

- Kyrou says something about Berube

- Berube gets fired

- Kyrou gets booed

- Kyrou makes comment about Berube not being coach anymore

Ha. 

So all he fucking said was, "He's not my coach anymore?" and the fans are booing him? Fucking what?

• Bullseye 1

I dunno guys. If I’m a STL fan and I see an $8 million franchise player pacing 50 points as a large reason why the team is underperforming, to see him so flippant about the coach who won the franchise a Cup and helped develop the guy into even getting that contract, I’d also like to think he’d show a little more self-reflection and accountability publicly.

“None of us have been playing well enough. It’s not all on the coach and it starts with myself being better. This is a wake up call to be better”

56 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

This seems like a really stupid thing to boo a player over. And he's crying about it? lol C'mon.

As Pete or Phil would say this is a nothingburger.

It is indeed a nothing burger. 

But it shows the immense amount of pressure these guys kids are under, just playing. Then someone asks about the coach and he basically just says he's not the coach anymore aka I'm just trying to move forward, and he gets boo'd? In a win where his line scored 3 of the 4 goals ... Is batshit. 

If the booing is because he isn't performing, you know what barely ever gets a player to play better? Take a guess ... 

It just outlines fan entitlement. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

But it shows the immense amount of pressure these guys kids are under, just playing. Then someone asks about the coach and he basically just says he's not the coach anymore aka I'm just trying to move forward, and he gets boo'd? In a win where his line scored 3 of the 4 goals ... Is batshit. 

If the booing is because he isn't performing, you know what barely ever gets a player to play better? Take a guess ... 

Crazy, right? Has anyone here ever performed in front of 15,000 booing people, directly booing you in your home arena? That's tough to take as a human let alone a 25 year old. Giving him a hard time for being emotional isnt right; shows he has passion and actually cares. Give the dude a break.

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I dunno guys. If I’m a STL fan and I see an $8 million franchise player pacing 50 points as a large reason why the team is underperforming, to see him so flippant about the coach who won the franchise a Cup and helped develop the guy into even getting that contract, I’d also like to think he’d show a little more self-reflection and accountability publicly.

“None of us have been playing well enough. It’s not all on the coach and it starts with myself being better. This is a wake up call to be better”

It's this. Like it or not, at $8M for the next forever, you're the one the fans want to hear from. You're the one the media are going to go to to speak on these types of events, and you simply have to have a better answer than "I've got no comment. He's not my coach anymore." 

Even in context, accounting for tone of voice, etc, it comes off as flippant when the guy who just got fired is the only coach in team history to win. I totally get that he and Kyrou had issues, but you need to give the media and fans by way of a better response.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Except it should never get to this point. We shouldn't be deciphering terse statements from key players to read the best possible outcome. It should be clear. I don't think having fans fucking boo him for an entire game was even remotely an OK response, but I understand their frustration with the player being this underwhelming and then when asked to speak to a critical moment like a coaching firing, giving such a flippant response.

But I can't agree more with the idea that booing players like this breeds nothing but the worst outcomes. Nedved, Rozsival, Redden, etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's this. Like it or not, at $8M for the next forever, you're the one the fans want to hear from. You're the one the media are going to go to to speak on these types of events, and you simply have to have a better answer than "I've got no comment. He's not my coach anymore." 

Even in context, accounting for tone of voice, etc, it comes off as flippant when the guy who just got fired is the only coach in team history to win. I totally get that he and Kyrou had issues, but you need to give the media and fans by way of a better response.

Except it should never get to this point. We shouldn't be deciphering terse statements from key players to read the best possible outcome. It should be clear. I don't think having fans fucking boo him for an entire game was even remotely an OK response, but I understand their frustration with the player being this underwhelming and then when asked to speak to a critical moment like a coaching firing, giving such a flippant response.

But I can't agree more with the idea that booing players like this breeds nothing but the worst outcomes. Nedved, Rozsival, Redden, etc.

I think intent matters. I don't think he intended to be flip. My point is, when you give an answer like that, and then you see what happens and he's questioned about it in the press and basically starts crying, you can see the amount of pressure he's under. 

As fans I think we may be take for granted how much these kids are scrutinized. He's 25 years old. Did every word you uttered at the age of 25 come out of your mouth perfectly?

Oh, I'm with you every step of the way there. I can't underscore it enough — booing this player, no matter how badly he's underperforming, will only make it worse.

I don't think he intended to be flippant either. I think your original assessment is the likeliest, too — that he was just looking forward. But that doesn't really change the fact that that's the way a ton of fans took it because he simply didn't offer enough in the first place. It's a learning moment for him from a media perspective.

• Keeps it 100 1

32 minutes ago, Phil said:

Oh, I'm with you every step of the way there. I can't underscore it enough — booing this player, no matter how badly he's underperforming, will only make it worse.

I don't think he intended to be flippant either. I think your original assessment is the likeliest, too — that he was just looking forward. But that doesn't really change the fact that that's the way a ton of fans took it because he simply didn't offer enough in the first place. It's a learning moment for him from a media perspective.

Agreed. Quite frankly, if this was about his play, he would have been booed long before this so I'm not buying it has anything to do with him personally under delivering. The whole team was under delivering, and I don't know that it was the coach's fault, but it certainly wasn't Kyrou alone. 

Schenn at a 40 pt pace. Hayes is terrible. Every forward outside of Thomas and Buch is garbage. 

Really, the GM should have paid the price. His comments were more flip than Kyrou. He said he fired Berube because if he disappeared without doing it, the team wouldn't be better off the next day or some shit excuse like that.

You know what would have made the team better off? If he resigned. 

• Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Agreed. Quite frankly, if this was about his play, he would have been booed long before this so I'm not buying it has anything to do with him personally under delivering. The whole team was under delivering, and I don't know that it was the coach's fault, but it certainly wasn't Kyrou alone. 

Schenn at a 40 pt pace. Hayes is terrible. Every forward outside of Thomas and Buch is garbage. 

Really, the GM should have paid the price. His comments were more flip than Kyrou. He said he fired Berube because if he disappeared without doing it, the team wouldn't be better off the next day or some shit excuse like that.

You know what would have made the team better off? If he resigned. 

Yup. It's a trend this ye ar. Quite a few GMs are getting an extra bullet they don't deserve and firing coach's who've been handicapped out of the gate. St. Louis and Minnesota most especially.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I don’t think what he said was bad or offensive

Not the best comment to make, but light years away from being terrible, even if his tone was shitty when he said it. 

Dont think he deserved to get booed for it.

Kind of silly to give this kid the business like that over this pretty innocuous comment