• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Are Your Worries or Concerns?

31 points and leading the entire league after 19 games...  Who woulda thunk?

Doing that after starting off 2-2 and after missing both Fox and Chytil for a stretch of games.

If you are like me I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop.  What banana peels do posters here worry about?

(my own list in no particular order)

1. Presidents trophies do not translate into Stanley cups with much regularity.
  2. Chytil is one head shot away from being a former NHL player.
  3. Quick reverts back to his norm over the last few seasons.
  4. Laffy's fast start is actually smoke and mirrors and not actually evidence of him "taking the next step" 

And I am actually beginning to run out of stuff.  If you had asked me a few weeks ago I would have not been too confident in Bonino or Wheeler but both have been better lately.  Team defense does not really go away once you have it and right now our team defense is as good as I can remember.

What other boogey men are out there?

23 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

Chytil health concerns me 

Kakko Is also a big  concern or big disappointment 

Same for me. Kakko has been....really, really bad. I'm almost expecting him to be traded at this point. If he goes somewhere else and does well, then fine. I get the impression that just maybe it's not going to happen for him here.

9 hours ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Doing that after starting off 2-2 and after missing both Fox and Chytil for a stretch of games.

If you are like me I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop.  What banana peels do posters here worry about?

4. Laffy's fast start is actually smoke and mirrors and not actually evidence of him "taking the next step" 

And I am actually beginning to run out of stuff.  If you had asked me a few weeks ago I would have not been too confident in Bonino or Wheeler but both have been better lately.  Team defense does not really go away once you have it and right now our team defense is as good as I can remember.

Rangers won the President's in 94 ,and won it

Chytil may not even have a spot here come the TDL

Quick has never been better and we have Uncle Benny to fix anything that breaks

Laffy is becoming an NHL player...no going back now!

....Next!  😉

I'm honestly not worried about anything at this point. I want to see a non-Lafreniere RW show more consistency on offense - Wheeler may be answering that question as he settles in, and Kakko may work his way back when Chytil returns to the lineup.

There's good depth at most positions, there's no fear of injury on this team if we've worked through Fox and Chytil as well as we have, there's some things here and there that need to be tinkered with, but nothing worrisome.

I worry that Drury will see the season we're having and think to swing for the fences instead of directly addressing the real needs (which I believe to be a steady #6 and, if possible, another Bonino-ish guy). 

5v5 scoring still stinks. They're 24th in the leauge in 5v5 goals (37) and seventh in PP goals for (17). Combine that with a shooting percentage in the high twenties for Kreider and Lafreniere and in the mid-teens for Trocheck and Panarin, and what that tells me is that this luck will probably run out.

That's really my only worry.

• VINNY! 2

11 hours ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Just to address the bold - It's been 11 years since the Presidents Trophy winner has won the cup. If you will, the success rate has gone from 8/26, or around 31%, to 8/36, or around 22%. It's actually been brutal for the winners - no team has gone out of the second round since we did it in 2015, multiple teams have lost confusingly and heartbreakingly - the CBJ sweep of Tampa, the Panthers reverse sweep of the Bruins, the Caps being unable to figure out the Penguins twice over.

That's still far, far better odds than any other individual seed. 

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

5v5 scoring still stinks. They're 24th in the leauge in 5v5 goals (37) and seventh in PP goals for (17). Combine that with a shooting percentage in the high twenties for Kreider and Lafreniere and in the mid-teens for Trocheck and Panarin, and what that tells me is that this luck will probably run out.

There's a semi-flipside argument against this that their shooting percent as a team is probably going to regress up to the mean as players not named Kreider and Lafreniere find the scoresheet with more regularity. 

I’m worried because after 18 games this chubby has not subsided. I should probably consult a doctor, right?

but in all seriousness..

1) top 6 depth worries me. Even with chytil back, he is a streaky player. I’d like to see them add a top 6 center/Rw. Wheeler may be looking better but at his age I don’t see him

playing his best hockey after a grueling 82 game season. this plays into the 5v5 scoring too there needs to be more consistency among the top forwards. Right now Panarin was hot. Then Kreider. Hopefully Zib is next. I’d like to see another guy or two get hot at the same time to add another dimension to the scoring. 

2) not so much a team thing but a player thing.. it’s the elephant in the room and I say that hesitantly because an elephant might actually be better than kakko at this point on ice. Guys quickly approaching total bust territory. Hope you guys are right about him waking up when Chytil returns but I fear his success with Chytil may be the result of playing with Chytil and not actually him being better. 

3) this one is pure conjecture but injuries. They seem to be getting hurt a lot more this season than previous seasons. I guess it comes with the territory of you know.. actually practicing and playing hard but never the less. We have already lost both of our goalies, top d man and a top 6 center and we’re not even 20 games in yet. 

• LMFAO 1

37 minutes ago, Phil said:

Over the last 3 weeks (8 games) they have 20 5v5 goals.  That's tied for 12th, 3 back from top 5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siddious said:

I’m worried because after 18 games this chubby has not subsided. I should probably consult a doctor, right?

but in all seriousness..

1) top 6 depth worries me. Even with chytil back, he is a streaky player. I’d like to see them add a top 6 center/Rw. Wheeler may be looking better but at his age I don’t see him

playing his best hockey after a grueling 82 game season. this plays into the 5v5 scoring too there needs to be more consistency among the top forwards. Right now Panarin was hot. Then Kreider. Hopefully Zib is next. I’d like to see another guy or two get hot at the same time to add another dimension to the scoring. 

2) not so much a team thing but a player thing.. it’s the elephant in the room and I say that hesitantly because an elephant might actually be better than kakko at this point on ice. Guys quickly approaching total bust territory. Hope you guys are right about him waking up when Chytil returns but I fear his success with Chytil may be the result of playing with Chytil and not actually him being better. 

3) this one is pure conjecture but injuries. They seem to be getting hurt a lot more this season than previous seasons. I guess it comes with the territory of you know.. actually practicing and playing hard but never the less. We have already lost both of our goalies, top d man and a top 6 center and we’re not even 20 games in yet. 

Pete,

RJ, @RJWantsTheCup and I were throwing around the name Blake Coleman, but I'm not sure how or if he fits in cap-wise....maybe a deadline deal.  But I would entertain that idea.

2 hours ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

I will add another worry in time for tonight's game.

We seem to play our worst games against otherwise weaker opposition and the Sabres seem to fit that description.  Oh well, the mark of a top team is how consistently they handle business against these types of teams so in that sense it is a good test.

They are seeing Buffalo without Tage Thompson.

Huge advantage.

But yes… potentially a trap type game.

I'm not too concerned about "trap games" any longer.  Laviolette won't let that happen.

If we're going to lose games, and we will....I really believe it won't be due to lack of effort.  More likely it will be failure to execute.  I can see a stinker every once in a great while (like the Nashville game), but for the most part I think we'll see what we saw in Dallas.  That was a hard fought game between 2 good teams, where we had our chances to win and simply couldn't put it away.

I still think if Kreider scores that goal early in the 3rd on that breakaway, we take that one too!

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm not too concerned about "trap games" any longer.  Laviolette won't let that happen.

If we're going to lose games, and we will....I really believe it won't be due to lack of effort.  More likely it will be failure to execute.  I can see a stinker every once in a great while (like the Nashville game), but for the most part I think we'll see what we saw in Dallas.  That was a hard fought game between 2 good teams, where we had our chances to win and simply couldn't put it away.

I still think if Kreider scores that goal early in the 3rd on that breakaway, we take that one too!

Me neither.

If they lose a November game to Buffalo or whoever, it’s not a catastrophe… even if they play terribly. 

4 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Me neither.

If they lose a November game to Buffalo or whoever, it’s not a catastrophe… even if they play terribly. 

I agree, 7....I just don't think they will "play terribly" all too often.  The system(s) we've employed to forecheck and roll the offense through is designed to limit our playing poorly.

"failure to execute the plan" is more or less what I think we'll see.

Shit like missing excessive open shots, pinching in with nobody home on D, turnovers in the NZ and blue lines....stupid crap like that.

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I agree, 7....I just don't think they will "play terribly" all too often.  The system(s) we've employed to forecheck and roll the offense through is designed to limit our playing poorly.

"failure to execute the plan" is more or less what I think we'll see.

Shit like missing excessive open shots, pinching in with nobody home on D, turnovers in the NZ and blue lines....stupid crap like that.

I don’t either.

Though over 82, they, like basically every other team ever, they’ll certainly have some “burn the tape” games.

They’ll have a game or two where a great or hit goalie beats them

Or a great player does the same.

It’s part of things.  

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Pete,

RJ, @RJWantsTheCup and I were throwing around the name Blake Coleman, but I'm not sure how or if he fits in cap-wise....maybe a deadline deal.  But I would entertain that idea.

I think Drury not only learned his lesson but also the opportunity to go for multiple

shiny things at the deadline is unlikely again so yes give me guys that fill a role. I have no problem with trochek as 2c if we get an equally as good 3c.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I’m curious as to how they handle a deep valley when and if it comes, vs this very high peak they are now in.

We will see.

Losing Fox, Igor, Quick, Chytil… they handled all of that well. 

Even the last 2 seasons under Gallant they said the right things and did the right things during tough times. Or at least it seemed like they wanted to. I actually really like the confidence this team has to know even if they suck its more of an anomaly than anything else. Confidence, talent and a good system/coach makes this team extremely dangerous. 

I should have also said anything that “scares” me about this team isn’t a glaring hole but an area that can be improved on. This is a legit team as far as I’m concerned.