• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Andre Burakovsky Out 6–8 Weeks With Upper-body Injury After Jacob Trouba Hit

Phil

This sucks. I didn't like the penalty nor the commentary about the penalty. It's really difficult to call that predatory. It's barely a shove, if that, and the guy just loses his balance more than anything. He's not in the traditional edging position where all it takes is a shove. Trouba is the guy to step up at the blue line and try to hurt people and he's done it for three years now. If he was trying to hurt this guy, it would have looked way different. I can't objectively look at this and think it's a bad hit. If it was my player, I'd be upset but we've seen so many dirtier, more predatory, more eggregious checks than this one take a guy out. This one just feels like an unfortunate one for me. 

The only argument I could see here is that it's not like he was injured on a hockey play. Is the hit late? Maybe but it's not a particularly eggregious hit, it's barely a shove, but it's also not necessary and has nothing to do with the play. Did Trouba have to do it? No he did not, can't argue with that. 

• TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I don't think that hit was bad, or even late.  I really think that's just a bad break for Burakovsky that he fell awkwarly into the dasher.  Trouba's made WAY worse hits than that!

To me, that's simply finishing a check....and hardly a "check"...more like a push or a nudge to the boards.

Rule 603 | Boarding:

(Note) Boarding is the action where a player pushes, trips or body checks an opponent causing them to go dangerously into the boards. This includes: Accelerating through the check to a player who is in a vulnerable or defenseless position and driving an opponent excessively into the boards with no focus on or intent to play the puck, or any check delivered for the purpose of punishment or intimidation that causes the opponent to go unnecessarily and excessively into the boards.

The onus is on the player delivering the check to avoid placing a vulnerable or defenseless opponent in danger.

(a) A minor plus a misconduct or major plus game misconduct penalty shall be assessed for boarding an opponent.
     “Rolling” an opponent along the boards where he is attempting to go through too small an opening is not considered boarding.

(b) A major plus game misconduct penalty shall be assessed to any player who recklessly endangers an opponent as a result of boarding.

(c) A match penalty for reckless endangerment may also be assessed for boarding.

28 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I think it was boarding and it was late. It was worthy of a 2-minute penalty, but that's it. Bad outcome, but hockey is a contact sport and the player was penalized. We move on.

It was only marginally late too, and a really light shove by the standards of a typical boarding where guys are getting hit in the numbers and crunched face first into the boards.

30 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I think it was boarding and it was late. It was worthy of a 2-minute penalty, but that's it. Bad outcome, but hockey is a contact sport and the player was penalized. We move on.

Agree with all of this. It's also a follow-through standard hockey play. What makes it dangerous is the distance from the boards, but it's really hard to reduce that risk because this type of hit doesn't occur often. The worst one I've ever seen was Avery on Paetsch. I thought Paetsch was dead.