• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

PS #2: Rangers vs. Islanders, 7pm — MSG, MSGSN

Phil

• Phil unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

Let's not pretend to be shocked. Brought to us by the "Gauthier is top-6 material" lens. Gotta fight this conjecture with facts, such as: 

Lafreniere in a 3-0 loss: 3 SOG, 21 minutes TOI

Othmann in a 4-1 win: 1 SOG, 2 Hits in 16 minutes TOI 

Lafreniere looked ok in the game against Boston however he didn't look special and given what was on the ice that game that is a bit troubling.

If I could find one word to describe what he needs right now it is urgency.  Too often he settles in on the periphery and waits for something to happen.  He's not out of position when he does that but he's also not making anything happen.

The Rangers used him on the right point on the PP and for whatever reason the puck wasn't coming out to him and I'm not really sure what the point of having him there was if the puck wasn't going to cycle out there.  He spent a lot of time standing around waiting for the puck to come back to him and again for whatever reason it wasn't cycling his way.

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Lafreniere disgusts me, but holy overreaction Batman. lol

Nah. Lafrenière was ineffective and really did a lot of nothing. Maybe he'll show up in the next game. Othmann had a much better game. Not sure how that's overreacting. Just an obvious observation. 

I'll give Lafrenière the excuse of playing with lesser line mates. I can't even remember who his LW was. I mean he's only a 1st overall pick.  Not like we should expect him to be the best player on his line... Orrrrr, show something, when the coach blatantly says that guys who want bigger roles really have to show they want it. 

IDK, Im probably alone in thinking the 2 are in sort of a competition. IMO they should be. 

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Indeed. Yeah, I'm not going to miss the Gauthier fellatio that happened here regularly for several years. lol

Me neither.

Steve Brule Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

It's always good to check the stat sheet to see how good a player looked in a game. That's hiw it works. Who needs to watch the game when you can look at the stats? 

Edited by The Dude

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Nah. Lafrenière was ineffective and really did a lot of nothing. Maybe he'll show up in the next game. Othmann had a much better game. Not sure how that's overreacting. Just an obvious observation. 

I'll give Lafrenière the excuse of playing with lesser line mates. I can't even remember who his LW was. I mean he's only a 1st overall pick.  Not like we should expect him to be the best player on his line... Orrrrr, show something, when the coach blatantly says that guys who want bigger roles really have to show they want it. 

IDK, Im probably alone in thinking the 2 are in sort of a competition. IMO they should be. 

It is one preseason game, though. But, there may be a slight competition for sure. I think Othmann definitely has a chip and has more desire than Laf at this point. lol The whole 'will over skill' thing is a thing here.

28 minutes ago, CCCP said:

I loved Trochek's game last night.  He was all over the ice mixing it up.  guy is fearless. He may not mesh well with Panarin but he's a damn good overall center.  Very underrated IMO 

I like Tro a lot, he was a really good signing, even though I still think the contract may be a bit much. He still provides a lot of what this team needs more of in its good players. I actually think he can be even better under Laviolette. I remember early last season he had terrible puck luck. Remember all of those posts he hit? The man could easily have had well over 30 goals last year.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

The Trocheck deal was never a bad one — the problem the Rangers have is they have two "second-line centers," and they've paid both of them, so the team always feels like it has one of Trocheck or Chytil "too low" in the lineup.

thats a good problem to have. i'd rather have two 2nd liner centers than two 3rd line centers