• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jonathan Toews Says He's Not "Fully Retiring;" Says He Will Take Time Off From NHL Again This Season

Phil

• Phil changed the title to Jonathan Toews Says He's Not "Fully Retiring;" Says He Will Take Time Off From NHL Again This Season
9 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Pull the plug buddy.

yeah seriously, he's got nothing left to prove and if his health is a long term issue, whats the point in staying?

I'd understand if he was still under contract and for $ purposes had to stay a technically active player but like, no need to do this

Maybe if he were super close to 1000 career points or something but I think it'' be tough for him to get the about 120 points he needs to get there

He is cooked. Not his fault but we all get adverse circumstances in life at one point or another. I wish him the best and I just don't see the multiple attempts to come back and play as a positive reflection on his legacy in Chicago. You know he has a guaranteed job somewhere in that org when he is done. Hope he saves face and can find a passion in some other way involving the game.

16 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

yeah seriously, he's got nothing left to prove and if his health is a long term issue, whats the point in staying?

I'd understand if he was still under contract and for $ purposes had to stay a technically active player but like, no need to do this

Maybe if he were super close to 1000 career points or something but I think it'' be tough for him to get the about 120 points he needs to get there

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Pull the plug buddy.

1 hour ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

54 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

He is cooked. Not his fault but we all get adverse circumstances in life at one point or another. I wish him the best and I just don't see the multiple attempts to come back and play as a positive reflection on his legacy in Chicago. You know he has a guaranteed job somewhere in that org when he is done. Hope he saves face and can find a passion in some other way involving the game.

It’s so much easier for us to say this than it is for a pro athlete. This is their entire identity and all they’ve done for their entire adulthood. I never blame the guy that hangs on too long. It’s a scary thing to think of retiring from the one thing you’ve trained your whole life for. 

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I'll never fault players for holding on until they absolutely cannot anymore. I won't even fault them when I genuinely think they're cooked. They've spent their entire lives trying to make it where they did. Go out on your own terms if you can.

• Keeps it 100 2

It's even bigger than that imo. Most people who have their careers ended or taken away because of health reasons beyond their control never truly come to find the acceptance piece of moving forward. It's more than having money or what you have already accomplished, it's having it all taken away on terms that you didn't sign up for. 

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

6 hours ago, Keirik said:

It’s so much easier for us to say this than it is for a pro athlete. This is their entire identity and all they’ve done for their entire adulthood. I never blame the guy that hangs on too long. It’s a scary thing to think of retiring from the one thing you’ve trained your whole life for. 

He can come here and be a mod, just like you

40 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Then is his hall of fame speech he can mention how special it was to have the opportunity to ban you. 

It will be an honor to be mentioned.  

When i'll get interviewed by the press i will mention your name and how you crossed over to the dark side

• Keeps it 100 1