• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Do the Rangers Still Win in '94 if They Got Lindros in '92?

Rangers1994

LIndros 1992  

14 members have voted

1. 1. If the Rangers had gotten Lindros in 1992, would they still have won at least won Stanley Cup?

• Yes
    • No

The way I view that period, which was one of the best periods prior to Lundqvist's arrival, the Cup was predicated on Leetch, Messier, Richter and Graves being coached by Mike Keenan.

So if you can get those 4 players and Lindros together and coached by Keenan, then yes they'd have won one or more cups probably in about the same time frame they did.

However I very much doubt the Nordiques would have taken Vanbiesbrook over Richter and so I don't think they'd have won the cup they won.  Also Leetch got hurt in '92-93 which was one of the reasons the Rangers disappointed that year.

Lindros's tenure as a superstar was short, but a superstar he was, and the Rangers would have won a cup with him.  The Nords would have taken Richter over Beezer, but Beezer was plenty good, good enough to lead an expansion team to the finals in 1996.  It's possible that the Rangers would have been too top heavy for a cup with Lindros, but Lindros, Mess, Graves and Leetch, all in their primes, is a cup winner most likely.  

I'll never forget that name, Larry Bertuzzi.

Nope. Tbe answer is no. Simple as that. I think some either forget or are too young to really understand exactly how gigantic that 1940 loomed over this franchise for so long. We were the Red Sox of hockey. We were cursed. We were jinxed. Lindros never won a cup. We needed someone that already knew how to win and wasn’t afraid to embrace the slaying of the curse with so much previous success that the curse meant everything to end. We needed Mark Messier 

• Keeps it 100 1

4 hours ago, Keirik said:

Nope. Tbe answer is no. Simple as that. I think some either forget or are too young to really understand exactly how gigantic that 1940 loomed over this franchise for so long. We were the Red Sox of hockey. We were cursed. We were jinxed. Lindros never won a cup. We needed someone that already knew how to win and wasn’t afraid to embrace the slaying of the curse with so much previous success that the curse meant everything to end. We needed Mark Messier 

They'd have still had Messier. 

It’s very hard to say. Lindros was an amazing talent, and possibly the league’s best player over the next 7-8 seasons. But I don’t know. 
The prospect of Lindros and Messier in whichever order, down the middle, would have been a daunting task for other teams to deal with. 

Richter might’ve gone the other way in that deal too.

Flyers I believe had a choice of him or Beezer. 

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

No way of telling for sure but I would think the Rangers would win with Lindros.  They really didn’t give up much in the trade. 

If you think of core pieces of 94, they'd have been giving up Kovalev and Nemchinov. And then as others have said, it depends on how much faith you had in Beezer. 

It's a tough call because they would have given up some big contributors as Pete just said, that were a young part of that core. As great as Lindros was, you still lose some of that character. I didn't hate not getting Lindros as much as I hated trading Gartner, Amonte, Weight and James Patrick later on. lol Even without Lindros the Rangers should have won the Cup in '92 as well regardless. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

They'd have still had Messier. 

Richter was in the trade, too. I twas Nemchinov, Amonte, Kovalev, Patrick, one of Beezer or Richter, and multiple firsts.

Lindros was an absolute game-changer, especially early, so it's possible they still win, but I dunno.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Richter was in the trade, too. I twas Nemchinov, Amonte, Kovalev, Patrick, one of Beezer or Richter, and multiple firsts.

Lindros was an absolute game-changer, especially early, so it's possible they still win, but I dunno.

I literally said...

• Phil changed the title to Do the Rangers Still Win in '94 if They Got Lindros in '92?
13 hours ago, Phil said:

I heard that the Nords wanted Doug Weight instead of Nemchinov.

When Lindros went to the Flyers, he was put in the front and center right away without any veteran support.

Had he gone to the Rangers, Lindros would have had Messier, Graves, Leetch, Beukeboom, Tikkanen, Lowe, and Richter/Beezer taking pressure off him. 

Plus, they would have had Keenan as coach.

On 8/7/2023 at 9:44 PM, Br4d said:

The way I view that period, which was one of the best periods prior to Lundqvist's arrival, the Cup was predicated on Leetch, Messier, Richter and Graves being coached by Mike Keenan.

So if you can get those 4 players and Lindros together and coached by Keenan, then yes they'd have won one or more cups probably in about the same time frame they did.

However I very much doubt the Nordiques would have taken Vanbiesbrook over Richter and so I don't think they'd have won the cup they won.  Also Leetch got hurt in '92-93 which was one of the reasons the Rangers disappointed that year.

Don't  forget Tikkanen, Lowe, Beukeboom, Anderson, Larmer, Matteau, Nonnan, and MacTavish.

On 8/8/2023 at 2:08 AM, Keirik said:

Lindros had an unfair situation with the Flyers. When he first went to the Flyers, he was put in front and center right away. He had no veteran support to take pressure away from him.

Had he gone to the Rangers he would have had Messier, Leetch, Graves, Richter or Beezer, Beukeboom, Tikkanen, Lowe, MacTavish, Matteau, Noonan, Anderson, and Larmer to take pressure off him.  Especially Mark Messier....

9 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

Don't  forget Tikkanen, Lowe, Beukeboom, Anderson, Larmer, Matteau, Nonnan, and MacTavish.

The Rangers almost always have a talented roster.

Leaders and Great Players get you over the top.  When you have two guys who are both on the same roster it's a lot easier for the talent to get you over the top.

If you look at the current roster the Rangers have three great players in Panarin, Fox and Igor.  They have one Leader in Trouba.  They have nobody who is both.

I love Zibanejad but he is neither a great player nor a leader.  He catches fire when somebody else strikes the match like he did in the playoffs in 21-22.

Last year the Rangers powder was soggy when it counted and nobody struck a match to try to ignite it.  That's the best explanation for what happened in games 5 and 7.

23 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers almost always have a talented roster.

Leaders and Great Players get you over the top.  When you have two guys who are both on the same roster it's a lot easier for the talent to get you over the top.

If you look at the current roster the Rangers have three great players in Panarin, Fox and Igor.  They have one Leader in Trouba.  They have nobody who is both.

I love Zibanejad but he is neither a great player nor a leader.  He catches fire when somebody else strikes the match like he did in the playoffs in 21-22.

Last year the Rangers powder was soggy when it counted and nobody struck a match to try to ignite it.  That's the best explanation for what happened in games 5 and 7.

Which is why I think Lindros would have been better off w/ the Rangers.  That veteran leadership presence would have helped ease pressure away from him.

1 hour ago, Rangers1994 said:

Lindros had an unfair situation with the Flyers. When he first went to the Flyers, he was put in front and center right away. He had no veteran support to take pressure away from him.

Had he gone to the Rangers he would have had Messier, Leetch, Graves, Richter or Beezer, Beukeboom, Tikkanen, Lowe, MacTavish, Matteau, Noonan, Anderson, and Larmer to take pressure off him.  Especially Mark Messier....

So...he'd be Laf?