• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nature: Animals Around the House

The Dude

After moving to PA 4 or so years ago, it's been cool to be away from all the noise of LI/NY. Got an acre or so sized yard, with lots of visitors from nature.  

Figured we could use a thread on the animals we see in our yards or neighborhoods.  spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Pictures were taken with my Samsung S22 Ultra from our sunroom.

Nothing crazy, but it definitely enhanced the pics a bit. 

• Like 1
  • CK20! 2

PA is great for wild life. My dad's side of the family all live in mountain towns on the east side of the state. Lots of deer, foxes, chipmunks, etc. They also have to deal with predators, though. Years back my cousin's husband got their kids a whole crop of chicks. Within a week, every one of them was poached by bobcats (on video). Lots of copperheads, too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil said:

PA is great for wild life. My dad's side of the family all live in mountain towns on the east side of the state. Lots of deer, foxes, chipmunks, etc. They also have to deal with predators, though. Years back my cousin's husband got their kids a whole crop of chicks. Within a week, every one of them was poached by bobcats (on video). Lots of copperheads, too.

Yeah, we supposedly have Bobcats or mountain lions, along with Fischer cats and Coyotes. Plus the typical deer and bears. It's a God damn animal sanctuary up here in the Poconos. Pretty cool. Luckily haven't come across any snakes yet (way to jinx myself). 

42 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yeah, we supposedly have Bobcats or mountain lions, along with Fischer cats and Coyotes. Plus the typical deer and bears. It's a God damn animal sanctuary up here in the Poconos. Pretty cool. Luckily haven't come across any snakes yet (way to jinx myself). 

Yeah, my family are in the same general area. Schuykill and Dauphin county, mostly. My uncle found a random coyote head that looked like it had been chewed off years back, LOL. Probably by a bear?

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Yeah, my family are in the same general area. Schuykill and Dauphin county, mostly. My uncle found a random coyote head that looked like it had been chewed off years back, LOL. Probably by a bear?

Your family is a bit more north. 2 hours north lol. I'm literally on the border of NY and NJ right across the Delaware.  

A bear or any kind of mountain cat. Fischer cats are prominent by me. They're  pretty viscous and are known to drag carcasses around of medium sized animals like foxes and Coyotes. They make some crazy noises too. 

I wish I cool nature animals to look at in my backyard.  Besides the spotted lantern flies, I got the bees, wasps, and an occasional stray cat.....When my kid decides to put bird food in the feeder we'll get a shit ton of squirrels raiding the feeder, along with blue jays, cardinals, sparrows, blackbirds and mockingbirds.....did have a woodpecker drop in about a month ago.  Oh, I had 2 or 3 lost racing  pigeons (assuming they were homing pigeons since they had tags on them).   

On 7/24/2023 at 12:29 PM, Blue Heaven said:

I got a shit ton of spotted lantern flies invading my backyard 🫤

3 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

I wish I cool nature animals to look at in my backyard.  Besides the spotted lantern flies, I got the bees, wasps, and an occasional stray cat.....When my kid decides to put bird food in the feeder we'll get a shit ton of squirrels raiding the feeder, along with blue jays, cardinals, sparrows, blackbirds and mockingbirds.....did have a woodpecker drop in about a month ago.  Oh, I had 2 or 3 lost racing  pigeons (assuming they were homing pigeons since they had tags on them).   

@Phil wasn't kidding.  You should 100% obliterate everything you find.