• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NFL RBs in Uproar After Saquon Barkley Offered 1-year, $10m Contract

Keirik

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

It's a different world. They will bring back Barkley long term after this season.

There isn't ill will. Players constantly get slapped with the franchise tags and come back. It's not the equivalent of eat dirt at all.  He's getting paid guaranteed money at the average of the top 5 players at his position. He's getting a raise. He's not disgruntled. 

Moving on from Barkley isn't best for the team. Not after Jones just cashed in on a make or break season. They lose Barkley, it's over. But in that world,  contracts are very different. 

Kinda like taking away a major piece of the Rangers in Panarin. They would need to replace his production as well as his presence as a guy that demands teams to commit defenders/matchups to. 

PS-  I was with you on suggesting Panarin move to RW. 

No ill will at all? Half the running backs in the NFL disagree with you. 

Derrick Henry, Christian McCaffrey, Jonathan Taylor, Austin Ekeler sound off on absence of RB extensions: 'Criminal'

https://sports.yahoo.com/derrick-henry-christian-mccaffrey-jonathan-taylor-austin-ekeler-sound-off-on-absence-of-rb-extensions-criminal-232801037.html

• The Chyt! 1

RB’s have only have so many premium touches in them. 

Average is about what, 1500-2000.

If the guy is a truly elite, HOF talent, maybe it’s over that a bit.

And that’s now. 

Not 5-10 years ago.

Plus, if you want to be a 3-down guy, you absolutely have to be able to block and read plays as a blocker first. That’s huge in todays pass happy, wide open, spread the field game, where a defense’s primary focus is QB pressure. 

The best approach with RB’s is actually a 3-man game.

Give me 3 guys, at varying sizes, that all can be used in differing ways, situationally, to exploit matchups.

And being able to contribute and really function as a blocker is hyper important. It’s not the most important thing. Certainly not the primary function. But it can’t be overlooked.

The game transitioned to what it is now in the late 90’s. 
Guys like Faulk, James, LT, and others to a lesser extent could all play 3 downs cause they could carry, catch, block, and adjust.

16 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think you just don't know how NFL contracts and franchise tagging works.

I guess I should have just said it might hurt your feelings. Yikes.

Yes, I do. You're just being dramatic, as usual. "They spit in his face! Drury will never work again!"

role playing yes GIF by Hyper RPG

And if anyone's feelings are hurt here, they're definitely yours as you've been butthurt since the playoffs ended, and it shines in every post.

Edited by Pete

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

I was trying to let it go because he was so wrong and I didn’t want the convo to go too off topic lol. Barkley has been a mess on Twitter. He’s disgruntled as fuck (as all RBs are as you shared), and with good reason.

• TroCheckmark 1

12 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I was trying to let it go because he was so wrong and I didn’t want the convo to go too off topic lol. Barkley has been a mess on Twitter. He’s disgruntled as fuck (as all RBs are as you shared), and with good reason.

Yeah. 

It sucks.

Theres far too much emphasis on the QB position, and that manifests itself not only in terms of money, but in the draft too.

So many QB’s get drafted high, and they simply just don’t deserve that kind of draft position.

Their entire offense is centered around Barkley. 

But he shouldn’t sit out. He’ll lose money that he’ll never be able to get back.

39 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah. 

It sucks.

Theres far too much emphasis on the QB position, and that manifests itself not only in terms of money, but in the draft too.

So many QB’s get drafted high, and they simply just don’t deserve that kind of draft position.

Their entire offense is centered around Barkley. 

But he shouldn’t sit out. He’ll lose money that he’ll never be able to get back.

This is what the NFL wanted. A pass heavy league. Naturally it was going to make running the ball way less valuable.

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

This is what the NFL wanted. A pass heavy league. Naturally it was going to make running the ball way less valuable.

Oh totally.

Totally took defense and running the ball and made it secondary.

They took the rules and made throwing the ball heavily incentivized with the soft ass penalties, free yardage, and a new set of downs if you look at a receiver the wrong way.

And they made it exceedingly difficult to play good defense. 

Which sucks. And honestly, that’s why I’m a fringe NFL fan now, after 20+ seasons of being a heavily involved fan.

Plus fantasy football screwed it up too.

All these people play that, but don’t know dick and can’t actually have an intelligent conversation about the game. 
It’s gotten to where when people talk about football, it’s centered around what happened for them in fantasy. Not the games or the standings, or even wins and losses. But how many points they got from their flex position this week. It’s a joke.

Anyway… what’s Barkley’s ask on a long-term deal?

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

But you're still derailing the convo! 

Edited by Pete

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Yes, I do. You're just being dramatic, as usual. "They spit in his face! Drury will never work again!"

role playing yes GIF by Hyper RPG

And if anyone's feelings are hurt here, they're definitely yours as you've been butthurt since the playoffs ended, and it shines in every post.

If you say so.

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

But you're still derailing the convo! 

Yeah, oh well. It’s only 3 degrees of separation. So…suck it?

• JIMMY! 1

7 hours ago, Keirik said:

Yeah and Barkley has hinted at this: 

Saquon: 'I could say f--k you to the Giants' and not show up

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2679070

This is typical reaction that gets smoothed over with many position players in football. RBs especially,  because it's common that winning teams really don't need any type of elite RBs. 

I thought Barkley was more of a team player. He came in as a rookie and did well. But in his 3rd year and 4th year he was hurt often. He bounced back last season and was an actual difference maker. 

The team is just starting to gain traction. He's a part of a potential upswing, but his track record of health issues gives the Giants legit pause on giving him a long term deal. 

BUT, he's saying he doesn't even want to be the highest paid RB. He then gets a bit big headed stating he thinks he's the best in the game. 

RBs have become an afterthought in a league that has become more about passing.  Of course every top tier RB is going to complain about not getting paid. RBs who chase money, often fade into obscurity the second they do it. 

But, I'll take the L on thinking there wasn't going to be any hard feelings.  Most other position players, especially LBs and defensive players get the franchise tag then negotiate a fair deal without reactions like these. 

RBs be mad. 

PS, Bell can go F himself.  Prime example of chasing the money after holding out then getting a shit team to pay him. He then becomes garbage. Its funny hes commenting about RBs in that tweet. He's currently also begging Steeler fans for forgiveness for leaving for the money.  

Edited by The Dude

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

This is typical reaction that gets smoothed over with many position players in football. RBs especially,  because it's common that winning teams really don't need any type of elite RBs. 

I thought Barkley was more of a team player. He came in as a rookie and did well. But in his 3rd year and 4th year he was hurt often. He bounced back last season and was an actual difference maker. 

The team is just starting to gain traction. He's a part of a potential upswing, but his track record of health issues gives the Giants legit pause on giving him a long term deal. 

BUT, he's saying he doesn't even want to be the highest paid RB. He then gets a bit big headed stating he thinks he's the best in the game. 

RBs have become an afterthought in a league that has become more about passing.  Of course every top tier RB is going to complain about not getting paid. RBs who chase money, often fade into obscurity the second they do it. 

But, I'll take the L on thinking there wasn't going to be any hard feelings.  Most other position players, especially LBs and defensive players get the franchise tag then negotiate a fair deal without reactions like these. 

RBs be mad. 

PS, Bell can go F himself.  Prime example of chasing the money after holding out then getting a shit team to pay him. He then becomes garbage. Its funny hes commenting about RBs in that tweet. He's currently also begging Steeler fans for forgiveness for leaving for the money.  

I can’t blame him for chasing the biggest bag he can get.

He’s an elite player on offense and really he’s the Giants entire offense.

He’s the guy you lock up long-term and 

RB’s get treated like cattle in the NFL. 

Of the 5 highest paid guys in the league at the position, only 1 has a guarantee of over 50%. 
But he’s one of the few that’s actually a true difference maker.

He deserves a long-term deal. And it’s relatively safe. Still only 26. Only 1200 touches.

They can easily give him 5 seasons, a big signing bonus, and nice money loaded heavily in the first 3 seasons with a good guarantee.

But totally agree with you that he shouldn’t do what Bell did and sit out.

It would hurt the team, and his reputation.

And also, he’d lose out on money he can’t ever make back.

Just like Bell.

Edited by RangersIn7

10 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Of the 5 highest paid guys in the league at the position, only 1 has a guarantee of over 50%. 

He deserves a long-term deal. And it’s relatively safe. Still only 26. Only 1200 touches.

They can easily give him 5 seasons, a big signing bonus, and nice money loaded heavily in the first 3 seasons with a good guarantee.

Just like Bell.

Sometimes context is lost in sports. He's going to make 10 million. That could set a lot of people up for life. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

RBs be mad. 

Yeah, I'm notntrying to do more than just point out that there is plenty of hard feelings associated with that franchise tag.

Football is the only sport where I 100% understand why players will always go for the most money and guaranteed money specifically. The average career for an NFL player is so short and they all are one hit away from paralysis or a career ending injury a heck of a lot more than other sports. 

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sometimes context is lost in sports. He's going to make 10 million. That could set a lot of people up for life. 

I get that.

And he’s already made $30-40 million. 

But it’s the NFL and it can end in an instant. This is his shot at a big payday, so I can’t blame him for wanting it. 

Edited by RangersIn7

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Just like Bell.

Do teams win with elite running backs these days? I get that he's a huge part of their success,  but how many years can he do that? 

I'm kinda down the middle on the situation. He doesn't want top dollar. But I also can't fault the team for not committing long term.  They're probably offering like 3 years at an agreed amount. He probably wants 5 with more guaranteed.

I can think of worse ways tp spend money.  What else are they going to do? If he's really bent about it, make the effort to make him happy.  What do they actually have to lose? 

Yes, I did kind of a 180 on this. I didn't think he would get this mad. Maybe he didn't, but has gotten heat from other RBs and has to talk shit. 

• Morphinity 2.0 changed the title to NFL RBs in Uproar After Saquon Barkley Offered 1-year, $10m Contract