• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Islanders Failed to Impress Senators in Attempt to Land DeBrincat

Phil

The Islanders were one of the teams interested in winger Alex DeBrincat with Newsday’s Andrew Gross reporting that Jean-Gabriel Pageau and winger Oliver Wahlstrom were part of their pitch to Ottawa to try to get DeBrincat’s services.  Presumably, the offer would have also featured a first-round pick and another younger element.

Pageau is no stranger to Ottawa having spent parts of eight seasons with the team but the 30-year-old has three years left on his contract with a $5MM AAV, a price tag the Sens likely didn’t want to take on.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/07/east-notes-islanders-amerks-leblanc.html

28 minutes ago, siddious said:

Lou is so washed up it’s actually pretty sad to watch 

Actually I'm enjoying it!

I think Sorokin will keep their heads above water and hide a lot of warts for them for a good chunk of the season. A scenario we're pretty familiar with.

• Phil changed the title to Islanders Failed to Impress Senators in Attempt to Land DeBrincat
25 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

I think Sorokin will keep their heads above water and hide a lot of warts for them for a good chunk of the season. A scenario we're pretty familiar with.

It would be fun to watch if the isles weren’t just in a constant state of pathetic.

Say what you want about the rangers but this teams been relevant the last 30 years

or so which is so much more than you can say for that sad franchise. 

1 hour ago, jsrangers said:

They're built like a Walmart version of the Lundqvist-era Rangers. Elite goaltending, strong defense, absolutely no scoring to speak of.

• LOL 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

The Post's writer was plugging Pageau as the centerpiece of a trade for Debricat.  What a pipe dream.  No one is giving up big time value for a 3rd line center who makes 5m.  In fact, most teams won't take a 5m 3r line center for free.

42 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

The Post's writer was plugging Pageau as the centerpiece of a trade for Debricat.  What a pipe dream.  No one is giving up big time value for a 3rd line center who makes 5m.  In fact, most teams won't take a 5m 3r line center for free.

And here we are with 2 of them!

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

54 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Islanders have failed to impress me since I started watching hockey in 76.

I was at the Islanders first preseason game against the Rangers in 1972.  The Islanders have failed to impress me since.

• Cheers 1

On 7/11/2023 at 2:04 PM, Phil said:

They're built like a Walmart version of the Lundqvist-era Rangers. Elite goaltending, strong defense, absolutely no scoring to speak of.

Seriously. Their offense is fucking brutal. The best is reading this one Isles fan on Twitter who generates a lot of traffic to his page, who swears Kyle Palmieri is elite. If that’s what you’re hanging your hat on, God bless, my friend.

I’m not one to sleep on Lou, but this team has been dying for offense for a few years now. And aside from Horvat, who seemed like an odd fit, nothing has been done. I don’t really understand what their end game here is.

The way this division breaks down, to me, is Carolina and the Devils are at the top, with us being right there with them. Maybe a small tick below, but I’d say we are significantly closer to those 2 than the Isles, who probably lead the pack of teams below us. And that is strictly because of Sorokin. That group has gotten older, slower and less offensive as time as gone on.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Horvat will be better for them than he has been. But yea they’re starved for offense and the system they play doesn’t help in that either. 

they have elite goaltending which can take you far but almost every team in this division has a clear upper hand on them in every other category. 

but hey it’s hockey… anything can happen 

The Islanders are one of those teams that, in a vacuum, don't overly impress, but you're not really surprised if they have a deep playoff run. If they wound up playing the Bruins in the postseason, I could have totally seen them winning. I think Horvat will be very good there, but they just need more.

6 hours ago, siddious said:

Horvat will be better for them than he has been. But yea they’re starved for offense and the system they play doesn’t help in that either. 

they have elite goaltending which can take you far but almost every team in this division has a clear upper hand on them in every other category. 

but hey it’s hockey… anything can happen 

Will he?

55ish point player until a monster year in UFA, goes to NYI and back to pacing 55pts. He's not a P/G guy. He's like a 65pt guy, at best.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Will he?

55ish point player until a monster year in UFA, goes to NYI and back to pacing 55pts. He's not a P/G guy. He's like a 65pt guy, at best.

This. They bought the peak like the Rangers did on Trouba. I don't think Horvat is ever going to get right by that deal in the same way I don't think Trouba will ever be worth it relative to his hit. Both teams are just gonna have to live with it.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

This. They bought the peak like the Rangers did on Trouba. I don't think Horvat is ever going to get right by that deal in the same way I don't think Trouba will ever be worth it relative to his hit. Both teams are just gonna have to live with it.

This is simply a product of one thing.

And I’ll preface this by saying I’m in no way an ageist. But Lou is 80. Get that.
Eight-zero.

Hitler was alive when Lou was born. 
TV wasn’t invented yet. 

FDR was President.

Jim Crow still existed.
And for all of his success, his last Cup was 20+ years ago. 

He’s only still working for the money and his ego. 

Horvat’s deal is bad. 

Hes a good player, who just peaked, and while he might sustain that for a bit, he’s moving towards decline. And his peak isn’t exactly all that high. He’ll never actually earn what he’s making. 

And the funny thing is, Lou said as much and signed the deal anyway. 

• 'Merica! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

44 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

As much as I hate Trouba's contract, I think I'd rather have that over Horvat even though I like Bo as a player. 😆

Trouba’s contract is made slightly more palatable due to him signing it at 25 and it’s 7 years, not 8. 
At least it only runs until July of 26 and he’ll only be 32. 
They got the years you really want.

Horvat though. Awful deal.

8 years at a higher cap hit and runs till 2031 when he’ll be 36.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Trouba’s contract is made slightly more palatable due to him signing it at 25 and it’s 7 years, not 8. 
At least it only runs until July of 26 and he’ll only be 32. 
They got the years you really want.

Horvat though. Awful deal.

8 years at a higher cap hit and runs till 2031 when he’ll be 36.

Yeah and it's a bit better to buy out if need be and more moveable too if it comes to that as well. I think Trouba is okay overall, just mostly overpaid by 2 or 3 million. I think if he maybe focused more on defense, he would be better off. He may think he's a better offensive defenseman than he really is.

5 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah and it's a bit better to buy out if need be and more moveable too if it comes to that as well. I think Trouba is okay overall, just mostly overpaid by 2 or 3 million. I think if he maybe focused more on defense, he would be better off. He may think he's a better offensive defenseman than he really is.

I don’t think it will come to a buyout. He’s not at all useless, a liability or non-contributing out there. And his contract only runs through his age 32 season. 
They actually got the timing right. And term is fine.
He’s just not an $8 million a year defenseman.

In reality, he was making $5 million his last year in WPG, with arb eligibility at age 25, coming off a 50 point season.

If he had stayed in WPG that last season on a 1 year deal, whether he settled or gone to arb, he’d have likely gotten a deal worth $6-6.5 million.

Thats where he should be.

Coming to NY, which is where he wanted to be, given cost of living, at age 25, off a career year, his contract probably should’ve been in the range of:

7 years/$45 million.

$6.5 million AAV.

$20 million signing bonus.

NMC through years 1-5.

That to me, at the time, would have been perfect and based on what he’s done and what he is, I’d be perfectly comfortable with that.

But they over did it. Gorton had the advantage cause he not only wanted out of Loseipeg, but was only ever going to NY or 1-2 other spots because of his fiancée being in need of a good college town for med school.

They gave him $10+ million too much. So it looks shitty. Cause he’s not amongst the leagues elite.

A roughly 10% cap hit puts you in that category. He isn’t that guy. Never was. And was not/is not going to be. 

He totally thinks he’s better offensively than he is.

100%.

There is no doubt of that.
I think he’s only about above average offensively. His 50 point season was not only his ceiling, but really a career year he’s unlikely to duplicate.

I think if they can get him to see that, get him to focus on just defending, with his size, physicality, length, and mobility, which is good. And his ability to move the puck out, not up the ice, but out of the zone, he could be very effective as a stay at home, shutdown guy.

Especially if they get him to see that, get his focus there, coach him towards it, and deploy him In that regard.

He could be good for you that way.

He does skate well for a bigger guy. Loves the contact and really thrives on it. And while he is not a true puck mover, which he thinks he is, he does get it out well, when he focuses on that.

Thats what he needs to be.

He needs to drop the illusion of his ability and what his game is and change.

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 1