• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Filip Zadina, 2018 6th Overall Draft Pick, Put on Unconditional Waivers for Purposes of Contract Termination

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Is there, though? Goodrow is here. There's been a ton of talk about building a legitimate checking line (something Laviolette apparently favors). Zadina doesn't fit that mold.

If I'm him, I'm looking at clear opportunities to prove to the league I am who I think I am. That's Chicago, Buffalo (after they trade Olofsson), Philly, etc. Maybe Colorado if Nichushkin dispappears himself?

Is Buffalo thinking of trading Olofsson?  Why aren't we talking about ways to get him here? 

Again, I just don't see the point. The Rangers already have two projects to work on and get more production out of (Kakko and Laugh). They don't need a third. Especially not one who'll need top-six or top-nine minutes and line mates to be effective. We just saw the results of building a roster that focuses solely on individual talent and not enough on balanced composition. It wasn't good, so why are we racing to reproduce this simply because another (not so) shiny toy is available?

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Again, I just don't see the point. The Rangers already have two projects to work on and get more production out of (Kakko and Laugh). They don't need a third. Especially not one who'll need top-six or top-nine minutes and line mates to be effective. We just saw the results of building a roster that focuses solely on individual talent and not enough on balanced composition. It wasn't good, so why are we racing to reproduce this simply because another (not so) shiny toy is available?

Yet you saw a point to have Aaron Voros at one point in a Rangers jersey 

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

The more I read about him the more interested I get, however this is a guy who basically had an amazing season during his draft year which springboarded him into the top 10. He has no record of sustained outsized production at any level. 

You're not going to play him in the bottom 6, no room for him in the top 6, so unless the plan is to stash him in the AHL until Wheeler's wheels fall off, I don't really see the point from an organizational perspective.

It seems like he was miscast as a number six overall, and even if that wasn't the case, he doesn't feel an organizational need right now to the point where he's a "must gamble on".

Even if you eventually becomes a good player, It's probably going to be one of those things that people say "oh wow, he is pretty good, moving right along..." like Tolvinen.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

9 hours ago, Keirik said:

Yet you saw a point to have Aaron Voros at one point in a Rangers jersey 

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

...and? He fit a need. Zadina doesn't. Show me your lineup with him included and then explain to me which of them is the checking unit that Laviolette apparently wants (per Staple).

It's always a good idea to explore low-risk high-reward options like Zadina. But I just don't see the fit on this roster. cap squeeze aside, there's no spot for him here to fill. It also doesn't make sense for him to come here. He needs to go to a shitty team on a 1-year deal. He needs top 6 minutes on a team that can flip him for assets at the deadline, and he needs a chance to get it done in the playoffs heading into free agency. 

Chicago, Columbus, Arizona, all make sense for him. Maybe Calgary after they go through a mass exodus. Either way, it just doesn't make sense here. 

I wouldn't be upset if Drury kicked the tires on him, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if he ended up signing here once we get our RFAs in order if there's still room. But realistically I don't see it being a possibility here.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Or you could just say "yea and I was wrong then cuz he sucked, and I won't make that mistake again by being wrong now about Zadina 😂

Two different things. He did suck. But he fit a need. They just got a poor player in trying to fill it.

I just don't see where Zadina plays here. Not if they're going to build a viable checking line.

Just now, Phil said:

Two different things. He did suck. But he fit a need. They just got a poor player in trying to fill it.

I just don't see where Zadina plays here. Not if they're going to build a viable checking line.

No, no. Same thing. They both suck LOL. 

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, Phil said:

...and? He fit a need. Zadina doesn't. Show me your lineup with him included and then explain to me which of them is the checking unit that Laviolette apparently wants (per Staple).

I was only joking. There isn’t a natural fit for Zadina; at least not in a gaping hole. I suppose the only slot he fits is RW on Chytils line if you are finally bumping Kakko up to a top 6 spot. That’s where I potentially envisioned him, especially with the Czech connection.

Kreids Zib Wheels

Bread Tro Kaks

Alf Cheats Zaddy

4th line

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

I was only joking. There isn’t a natural fit for Zadina; at least not in a gaping hole. I suppose the only slot he fits is RW on Chytils line if you are finally bumping Kakko up to a top 6 spot. That’s where I potentially envisioned him, especially with the Czech connection.

Kreids Zib Wheels

Bread Tro Kaks

Alf Cheats Zaddy

4th line

Right. So no checking line. No discernible difference in style of play among the entire top-nine. I just don't see a reason to do this. Not for this coach. Not for this player. He has 28 goals in nearly 200 NHL games. Why are we tripping over ourselves to get him?

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Right. So no checking line. No discernible difference in style of play among the entire top-nine. I just don't see a reason to do this. Not for this coach. Not for this player. He has 28 goals in nearly 200 NHL games. Why are we tripping over ourselves to get him?

Well, I’m not suggesting we go nuts to get him. It seems to be pretty easy to get him. Might he harder now that every team can offer a league minimum but his scouting report from nearly everyone was pretty off the charts offensive potential. He just wasn’t a fit in Detroit for whatever reason. Maybe it’s because he’s a flop, but maybe it’s because of reasons X, Y, or Z instead. I’m usually not for reclamation projects but I have a feeling that Detroit itself might be part of the problem. Most years, the entire team is pretty offensively inept. From 2017/18 - present, Detroit is 30th of 32 for goals score per game.  I just think it’s a bit more than just him but who knows. 

Aren’t the rangers still trying to figure out why their 2020 #1 overall can’t get it together? Or even worse, they’re 2019 #2 overall, who’s doing even worse the the former?

Hardly seems like the place for a 2018 # 6 overall to find his wings. The track record of developing young talent is not good.

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

31 minutes ago, Niko said:

Aren’t the rangers still trying to figure out why their 2020 #1 overall can’t get it together? Or even worse, they’re 2019 #2 overall, who’s doing even worse the the former?

Hardly seems like the place for a 2018 # 6 overall to find his wings. The track record of developing young talent is not good.

Especially on a win-now team that just added 35+ contracts to try and get themselves over the hump

1 hour ago, Niko said:

I mentor you and your first appearance in uears here is to slice my idea up! Brutus! 

• LMFAO 1