• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Filip Zadina, 2018 6th Overall Draft Pick, Put on Unconditional Waivers for Purposes of Contract Termination

Red Wings place Zadina on waivers

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2672875

Wow. They really haven't liked what that kid has brought to the table.  If only the Rangers had cap space, I'd say take a chance on him. 

With 2 more seasons at 1.85, I think someone claims him. 

I don't think anyone thought this kid would be a bust in any way on draft day. Seemed like a sure thing. Just wow. 

Edited by The Dude

• The Dude changed the title to 2018 6th Oa Draft Pick: Zadina, Put on Waivers
  • Phil changed the title to Filip Zadina, 2018 6th Overall Draft Pick, Put on Waivers

RW too……

another Filip? Why the hell not? Cap wise we have til opening day to figure out the cap. The 1.8m won’t be too much of an issue with the 37 journeymen we signed that will go down to the AHL. Let him in camp and if he doesn’t work out, put him on waivers agsin. 

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 1
  • CK20! 1

7 hours ago, Keirik said:

RW too……

another Filip? Why the hell not? Cap wise we have til opening day to figure out the cap. The 1.8m won’t be too much of an issue with the 37 journeymen we signed that will go down to the AHL. Let him in camp and if he doesn’t work out, put him on waivers agsin. 

I had a similar thought.

Was he not a teammate of Chytil at one point?

Maybe the work well together?

Worth a look.

9 hours ago, Keirik said:

RW too……

There’s no space without a trade, but I’d take Zadina and Motte with 1.5m to spare over Goodrow and Pitlick. So trade Goodrow?

31 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

If memory serves me right aren’t teams allowed to be 10% over the cap up to right before the season starts?   

You need to be cap complaint by the time the first game is played, IIRC. Either that, or by the time your own first puck drops. 

• VINNY! 1

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2023/07/04/detroit-red-wings-nhl-filip-zadina-clears-waivers-staying-with-team/70381428007/

Sounds like a rough relationship.  In other stories about the situation Yzerman comes off as kind of a dick and is making it personal in talking about his contract. 

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2023/07/red-wings-tried-to-accommodate-filip-zadinas-request-for-fresh-start.html

I'm guessing Yzerman didn't want any part of retention to accommodate a trade? Even at half? Hopefully the kid can put it together in the AHL and doesn't pull a Kravtsov (go home). 

Opportunity missed. I’m sorry. I like Drury. I really do. But he has this weird hoarder infatuation with veteran grit that borders on unhealthy on day 1 of free agency but doesn’t see how taking a flyer on a 6th overall that you can just throw through waivers at any time is worth taking a stab at? 

but thank god we signed 21 Jed ortmeyers. 

• LOL 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Opportunity missed. I’m sorry. I like Drury. I really do. But he has this weird hoarder infatuation with veteran grit that borders on unhealthy on day 1 of free agency but doesn’t see how taking a flyer on a 6th overall that you can just throw through waivers at any time is worth taking a stab at? 

I mean neither did any other GM.  He's almost 24.  He's not a 4th liner.  He's not a better option than Vesey or Goodrow for the 3rd line.  There's nothing there.

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

There's about a $600k buried cap hit for him to play in the AHL. That's probably why Drury didn't want to risk it. If he cleared waivers later then that's wasted cap they don't have.

I don't understand how no other team would want to see about a change of scenery for the guy. Like Chicago? What do they have to lose?

Edited by BrooksBurner

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

To be fair, the only one who has a chance at NHL ice with us is Belzile and maybe Riley Nash in an emergency.

30 GP 3 G 4 A 7 P

31 GP 6 G 8 A 14 P

61 GP 7 G 9 A 16 P

Which one's Pitlick, Belzile, and Zadina from last season?

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

I mean neither did any other GM.  He's almost 24.  He's not a 4th liner.  He's not a better option than Vesey or Goodrow for the 3rd line.  There's nothing there.

Pretty much this.

He's another guy who just doesn't do anything well at the NHL level, no size, no speed, decent shot, but nothing else. 

He's a 30 point player, don't we have enough 30 point third liner bust potential players on the team? 

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

To be fair, the only one who has a chance at NHL ice with us is Belzile and maybe Riley Nash in an emergency.

30 GP 3 G 4 A 7 P

31 GP 6 G 8 A 14 P

61 GP 7 G 9 A 16 P

Which one's Pitlick, Belzile, and Zadina from last season?

Thats all fien and very true but one is a 6th overall, 23 year old, that had injuries and much higher potential than the others.what he did last year to me isn't as important as what he csn do with a fresh start that he asked for. 

2 hours ago, Long live the King said:

And you know this how? He was a high draft pick and he's been in one organization. There is more potentially there than there is with washed up NHLers. Again, it's incredibly low risk. I'm less worried about what other organizations pass up on and more interested in what mine does. 

The only downside would be as @BrooksBurner pointed out is a 600k cap space if he clears waivers with us. To me, that's worth the risk. 

4 hours ago, Keirik said:

Thats all fien and very true but one is a 6th overall, 23 year old, that had injuries and much higher potential than the others.what he did last year to me isn't as important as what he csn do with a fresh start that he asked for. 

While I see your point, his full season the year prior underperformed Jimmy Vesey last year. I’m sure there’s a player somewhere, but Vesey costs half and does the same

2 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

While I see your point, his full season the year prior underperformed Jimmy Vesey last year. I’m sure there’s a player somewhere, but Vesey costs half and does the same

You’re not giving him a chance to be a 4th line guy. You’re giving him a chance because he’s a 6th overall that was projected to go top 3 and all scouting reports said elite level abilities. Now I understand that scouts get it wrong, but this guy was highly touted by many AND he literally cost nothing to get.  It didn’t work out in Detroit. I can’t say I know the reason why. But he’s young, has the pedigree, and is worth the risk in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Keirik said:

You’re not giving him a chance to be a 4th line guy. You’re giving him a chance because he’s a 6th overall that was projected to go top 3 and all scouting reports said elite level abilities. Now I understand that scouts get it wrong, but this guy was highly touted by many AND he literally cost nothing to get.  It didn’t work out in Detroit. I can’t say I know the reason why. But he’s young, has the pedigree, and is worth the risk in my opinion. 

It costs about $1.1M in cap space over a guy like Vesey who is a third liner and can play up, and about $800k in unburiable cap hit if he doesn’t pan out. We don’t have $800k to spare, and getting rid of him is apparently harder than it looks. We only have just under $7M to re-sign Laf and Miller and be cap compliant with 13-7-2

I do get the argument from the perspective of a guy like Tolvanen last year who got a change of scenery in Seattle and found his scoring groove. All the Wings fans I’ve seen talk about how he’s defensively responsible but just can’t put the puck in the net

Guys like this get passed over because they are drafted to be scorers, but don't score, and can't *really* play roles lower in the lineup that GMs feel are worth paying them to do. Yzerman is largely considered one of the smartest GMs in the league. If he's putting Zadina on waivers, it's for a reason — namely that he couldn't even find a trade because the market for the player is basically nonexistent.

In a vacuum, if you were asking me who would you rather have on your third or fourth line, Zadina or Vesey, I'm taking Vesey because I know he can play that role. Zadina, defensively responsible as he is, kinda can't. He doesn't bring any other elements.

23 hours ago, The Dude said:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2023/07/04/detroit-red-wings-nhl-filip-zadina-clears-waivers-staying-with-team/70381428007/

Sounds like a rough relationship.  In other stories about the situation Yzerman comes off as kind of a dick and is making it personal in talking about his contract. 

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2023/07/red-wings-tried-to-accommodate-filip-zadinas-request-for-fresh-start.html

I'm guessing Yzerman didn't want any part of retention to accommodate a trade? Even at half? Hopefully the kid can put it together in the AHL and doesn't pull a Kravtsov (go home). 

Yzerman has a 40 year reputation as being a dick and not being particularly well liked. 

Scotty Bowman almost traded him to Ottawa for God’s sake. 

I worked for years with a guy that knew him. Personally. I can give you his name in a private message. This guy, a former profess Player, knew him and had many many friends that played with him.

He was not a popular player amongst teammates or around the league in general. Very arrogant and obnoxious. 

• VINNY! 1