• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Isles Trade Josh Bailey, 2026 2nd-Round Pick to Blackhawks for Future Considerations; Will Be Bought Out and Become UFA

• Phil changed the title to Isles Trade Josh Bailey, 2026 2nd-Round Pick to Blackhawks for Future Considerations

"Future considerations" here less than used puck bag.  More like six pack of Bud Light.  Good move by Lou.  He will probably be able to do more with $5m in cap space now than his successor would have been able to do with a second round pick two years from now.

• Phil changed the title to Isles Trade Josh Bailey, 2026 2nd-Round Pick to Blackhawks for Future Considerations; Will Be Bought Out, Become UFA
  • Phil changed the title to Isles Trade Josh Bailey, 2026 2nd-Round Pick to Blackhawks for Future Considerations; Will Be Bought Out and Become UFA

Lou made it a point a few times early this off season his priority was resigning his UFA's. He was quoted earlier today after the Bailey move as well  that this freed up money should help that effort. This is the first article that popped up about him wanting to bring them back and predicted moving on from Bailey. I don't care enough to chase it any further.  Who knows but it would be very Lou like to stick with what he has thinking it's good enough. Bailey and Lambert didn't see eye to eye, don't think he would go back there.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/new-york-islanders/features/new-york-islanders-draft-picks-josh-bailey-capfriendly-buyouts-free-agency-nhl-draft

Like many NHL teams, the New York Islanders find themselves in a tough financial spot. 

Islanders general manager Lou Lamoriello voiced his desire to re-sign his four key unrestricted free agents, in defenseman Scott Mayfield, netminder Semyon Varlamov, as well as forwards Zach Parise and Pierre Engvall.

With just around $6.1 million in cap space, signing all four isn't possible. 

On Thursday, the first buyout window opened up. If they felt so inclined, the Islanders have until June 30 to go that route with a few players. The likely culprit would be 33-year-old forward Josh Bailey and his $5 million cap hit, the longest-tenured Islander who fell out of favor with head coach Lane Lambert early in the season. 

Edited by jsrangers

4 hours ago, Keirik said:

Technically, can he sign a contract with the Isles agsin? They didn’t buy him out. 

Technically, I think so, but I doubt the NHL would green light it. It clearly violates the spirit of the CBA, even if it doesn't expressly violate a law.

I doubt they even want him back, though. Lambert didn't like him. They literally benched him for like his 1000th game, or something?

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Technically, I think so, but I doubt the NHL would green light it. It clearly violates the spirit of the CBA, even if it doesn't expressly violate a law.

I doubt they even want him back, though. Lambert didn't like him. They literally benched him for like his 1000th game, or something?

Hey I, just trying to see if we can send our captain to Arizona to be bought out then promise to bring him back for league minimum 🙂 

and you know, if the NHL says no…..whoops sorry Troubs…..good luck though! 

• LMFAO 1
  • The Chyt! 1

11 hours ago, Phil said:

It also violates the spirit of the CBA to put someone on LTIR to stash them until the playoff start.