• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-sign Zac Jones to 2-year/$1.625m Extension; $812.5k AAV

Phil

• Phil changed the title to Rangers Re-sign Zac Jones to 2-year/$1.625m Extension; $812.5k AAV

He’s waiver eligible now so it’s really make the team or move on. I think they’ll give him a shot at the third pair barring a disastrous camp, though.

He’s put in all of the work to earn the role and hasn’t fussed once. I know he has the potential to be something good. Let’s see if Laviolette can work him in properly and allow him to flourish. PP time on the second unit is a must for him.

• Like 2
  • VINNY! 1

5 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

He’s waiver eligible now so it’s really make the team or move on. I think they’ll give him a shot at the third pair barring a disastrous camp, though.

He’s put in all of the work to earn the role and hasn’t fussed once. I know he has the potential to be something good. Let’s see if Laviolette can work him in properly and allow him to flourish. PP time on the second unit is a must for him.

This. If it still doesn't work out, they'll trade him coming out of camp prior to the start of the season. But I can't imagine they're gonna stack road blocks in front of him, either. He got a multi-year deal. I think that's pretty indicative of what they think of one another.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

He's an immediate upgrade on PP2 over Trouba if he makes the team.  Several key factors make it look like they are envisioning him as the 3rd pair LD, the one way deal and 2 years.

Pp2 should be miller. But I guess let them

compete for it 

1 minute ago, siddious said:

I just assumed they’d go 4 forwards on unit 2 as well for some reason but yea that’s do-able. 

Disaster of an idea. PP2 is often a transition unit that eats the remaining man advantage time and then shifts back to 5v5 as time expires. Five forwards on the ice as that's happening? Recipe for disaster.

• VINNY! 1

13 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

It should be both Miller and Jones.

It should be, but you then have D men from all three units on the PP which makes it tough to field a pair immediately after the PP is over.

They need to simply stick with this guy for a while.  Schneider provides enough toughness on the third pair.  Let this kid do his thing.  Harpur can play once in a while where muscle is particularly needed.

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Disaster of an idea. PP2 is often a transition unit that eats the remaining man advantage time and then shifts back to 5v5 as time expires. Five forwards on the ice as that's happening? Recipe for disaster.

You’re probably right. 

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

That was the way it was under GG, no guarantee it's that way under Lav. 

Just now, Sod16 said:

It should be, but you then have D men from all three units on the PP which makes it tough to field a pair immediately after the PP is over.

They need to simply stick with this guy for a while.  Schneider provides enough toughness on the third pair.  Let this kid do his thing.  Harpur can play once in a while where muscle is particularly needed.

I'd hope that the team is competent enough defensively that they could take a shift without their usual partner. That's ultimately such an unimportant concern if your goal is to maximize your powerplay.

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

Hopefully Robertson can have a nice camp and preseason and put himself in the mix too

Cant have too many D that can legitimately play.

He has another year until he's waivers eligible. A good camp would be nice, but he should continue with his development. He's been trailing behind Jones this entire time.

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

That was the way it was under GG, no guarantee it's that way under Lav. 

GG was also very set in his ways. He'd find comfort in something and cling to it to a fault. He had the 2nd unit set up the same as the first unit even though the personnel required a different scheme entirely.