• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

CBJ, PHI, LAK Complete Three-way Trade to Send Ivan Provorov to Blue Jackets

Phil

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

What does this mean for Carter Hart? Cal Petersen isn’t a backup.

Petersen was a .904 goalie...in 40 AHL games last season. He lost his job to Copley and eventually Korpisalo got brought in. I think Petersen is going to be a very expensive backup. 

It's odd to me because the Flyers have no cap space, and they didn't exactly get value or shed salary. Hart was really solid for them last year, and has one more season until he's an RFA again.

Yeah, I don’t get this at all. Carter Hart has shown flashes of brilliance early in his career. He’s only 24. He has a lot of learning to do but he’s been on some really bad teams to date in Philly. I think he’s gonna round into a very good goalie. This is a very risky trade. Dealing him this early can come back and bite them in the ass.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Yeah, I don’t get this at all. Carter Hart has shown flashes of brilliance early in his career. He’s only 24. He has a lot of learning to do but he’s been on some really bad teams to date in Philly. I think he’s gonna round into a very good goalie. This is a very risky trade. Dealing him this early can come back and bite them in the ass.

It's smart if they get something decent for him. 

If there's one thing that the last few years should have taught us it's that you don't need to overpay or overcommit to goaltending. There's great, and then there's the constant carousel of "better than good" out there.

I disagree.

You’re talking about a 24 year old potential franchise goaltender here. You’re rebuilding. That’s a piece you don’t play around with.

That organization has thrown out shit goaltenders since the Lindros years, and has for years been looking for someone just like Hart. And now that they have him, they’re gonna trade him? At 24?

Flyers fans on Twitter are beside themselves over trading Hart. And I can’t say I blame them. 

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Keeps it 100 1

Buffalo, Ottawa would be interesting landing points for Hart.

The Flyers are currently in the middle of a tear down. They won't be good for 4-5 years. The prospect cupboard is bare, the cap situation is dire. I understand moving Hart, who won't be 29-30 until they're good again. By that time, they can acquire a goaltender if they haven't developed one already. He's worth more value to Philly as future assets.

I don't think he's franchise. I think he had a good season and even then he only posted a .907 save % and 2.94 GAA. Some of that can be attributed to the team, sure, but It's not the .917 or .914 he put up as a rookie/sophomore.

Edited by Cash or Czech

it all depends on what you get back for Hart.

They have a lot of holes. If you can get Petersen, and move Hart to fill 2-3 needs, you do it.

Hart will be like 28 and ready for UFA by the time this team can make noise. I don't know Petersen's status.

Edited by Pete

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

it all depends on what you get back for Hart.

They have a lot of holes. If you can get Petersen, and move Hart to fill 2-3 needs, you do it.

Hart will be like 28 and ready for UFA by the time this team can make noise. I don't know Petersen's status.

That is the one weird thing. Petersen is signed for two more seasons and then a UFA.

Not sure I get the reasoning for dumping these guys. They should be building blocks. Hayes is the one that needs to go. Ristolainen is movable and getting older. Sanheim  is 27. Konecney is 26 and UFA in 2 years. 

Was Provorov having that hard of a time after the pride stuff? I thought the city supported him? 

Meh. It's the Flyers. Hope they make nothing but bad decisions. Feel bad for Torts and DeAngelo though. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Not sure I get the reasoning for dumping these guys. They should be building blocks. Hayes is the one that needs to go. Ristolainen is movable and getting older. Sanheim  is 27. Konecney is 26 and UFA in 2 years. 

Was Provorov having that hard of a time after the pride stuff? I thought the city supported him? 

Meh. It's the Flyers. Hope they make nothing but bad decisions. Feel bad for Torts and DeAngelo though. 

Provorov has wanted out for a while now, but that whole team needs to go. Couturier and Ellis being basically LTIRed before 30 - among some other things - really fucked this window for them

Yeah, if they can get a great return for Hart and fill some needs, it might be hard not to do it. I still think for a franchise that's struggled finding goaltending that trading a guy who's looking pretty good and only 24 is still kind of odd. I'm very interested to see what they get back.

16 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

Provorov has wanted out for a while now, but that whole team needs to go. Couturier and Ellis being basically LTIRed before 30 - among some other things - really fucked this window for them

I know this was a few years ago now, but a high pick like Nolan Patrick being a bust didn't help either.