• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sens Have 'Begun Examining the Trade Market' for Alex Debrincat; Opt for Arbitration

Phil

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I mentioned +/- but I didn't insinuate that's all that matters. It's tough to evaluate the team stats sorted by +/- and not see the 2-3 guys who stick out like a sore thumb: https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/OTT/2023.html . I wouldn't even be talking about it if Brady Tkachuk was a -30 instead of a -10, or Giroux, Stutzle etc were -20. They had the same goaltending.

I just think for $9M you need more of a line driver. A guy who makes his linemates better. I'm not saying Cat can't be that guy. He's only 25. I just said there's question marks and doubt that really shouldn't accompany that price tag. Agree on underlying stats btw. They weren't great or anything, but he probably deserved a little better. Kind of like what I've been saying about the Panarin/Trocheck pairing.

Gotcha, and normally I'd agree RE: the bolded, but not when you're getting 40 goals. The players who drive play AND score 40 a year are few and far between. Normally you'd pair the play driver with the goal scorer. The goal scorer is almost always the beneficiary of his linemates, like Kreider. They play a role yes, but to a lesser degree.

You pay a premium for goals in this league.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Gotcha, and normally I'd agree RE: the bolded, but not when you're getting 40 goals. The players who drive play AND score 40 a year are few and far between. Normally you'd pair the play driver with the goal scorer. The goal scorer is almost always the beneficiary of his linemates, like Kreider. They play a role yes, but to a lesser degree.

You pay a premium for goals in this league.

He’s had as many years scoring under 30 as he has had scoring 40 (and that’s counting his 32 in 52 year as a 40). I wouldn’t label him as a 40 a year player.

If the QO wasn’t so high, there’s probably a better chance to get him in the 7.5 range which is a little more palatable. That range would be really close to the Rangers fitting him if the right pieces were moving out. Similar to the moves discussed in the Keller thread. Hard to see him below $8.5 on a long term deal though, or he’d just play out a 1 yr $9M QO straight to UFA.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Pete said:

371 career points. 129 PPP and 241 ESP.

And frankly, I don't really care about the defense when you're getting 40 goals. I think people need to shake this idea that every player needs to be good at every single facet of the game. If you have an excellent point producer and they're not the greatest defensively, or they're "soft", or whatever... that doesn't mean you chuck them. It's throwing the baby out with the bath water. We need to move away from the idea that every player needs to hit, and be a Selke and Byng candidate, and score goals, and go to the front of the net and battle, and never miss the net (ever) etc. There's only a handful of these players in the league. 

It's like when people complain about Zib missing the net on his one timer... The guy is also scoring 30 to 40 goals a season. He's missing the net because he's picking a corner. He's not missing the net because he's chucking a bad shot like Tro. 

Agreed. I wish Ranger coaching staffs would think similarly.  

BUT. Players that can do those other things are also needed in the top 6. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Phil changed the title to Sens Have 'Begun Examining the Trade Market' for Alex Debrincat; Opt for Arbitration