• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kakko Eyes Bigger Role With New Coaching Staff

Phil

When he was asked what the next step for him is during his end-of-the-season interview with the media, the 22-year-old winger did not hesitate to campaign for the kind of role he has become accustomed to with his national team. 

“I think maybe get some power-play time and also play more, that’s the next step,” Kakko said. “I think there were some good things I [did] in the O-zone, like staying with the puck close to the net, get some chances over there, that’s my game. Just keep playing like that and play more next season. That’s the goal.” 

Considering what the personnel pool could look like at the start of training camp, the Rangers likely hope to disperse the Kid Line throughout the rest of the lineup.

Kakko skated the first 13 games of this season on the right side of Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad, and on the 14th contest Artemi Panarin replaced Kreider.

It wasn’t until Dec. 7 that Kakko got back on the top line, with Lafreniere and Zibanejad, for just three games. 

He only saw 10 more games in that spot for the remainder of the season, giving Kakko 26 total opportunities on the first unit. 

The Rangers next head coach may want to commit to more of an extended look at Kakko in the top-six. 

If not now, then when? 

https://nypost.com/2023/05/15/rangers-kaapo-kakko-eyes-bigger-role-with-new-coaching-staff/

Just now, jsm7302 said:

We gotta hope brother!

I'm not too sure about Yukon, but Chytil, Kakko, and Miller have what it takes in my opinion.  If we get a coach in here that can guide these kids the right way, I think we're going to see vast improvement.

12 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Kakko on first line has been tried every year four years running, but I see no option other than to try it again.  Fifth time could be a charm.

This. It'll happen by default. They have no choice.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

This. It'll happen by default. They have no choice.

Someone mentioned move Panarin to the right, and that’s probably a good idea to be honest. He’d be forced to rethink his approach to the game. In some ways it would force him to make more North/South type plays with the puck because the curl at the half boards is completely removed from his game. He’d either have to chip the puck forward or work the puck towards the net. It might have short term pain for long term gain, akin to a drug addict going through withdrawal, but it’s not a half bad idea to force him to approach the game differently rather than asking him. He just ignores it when asked, clearly.

Edited by BrooksBurner

Panarin is too free floating for any of that to matter IMO. Maybe it'll eliminate some of the curl and turn it over behavior, but not all of it. Bigger picture, I'm more concerned with who he plays with, not where. His line, more than any other, is the one that needs that fuck you element added back in. He had it for a while with Fast and it worked. He needs it again.

Panarin had a bad playoff, no arguing that. I don’t think he’s allergic to playing hard without the puck, though he definitely may need to adjust his thinking, especially with a new coach coming in. Maybe that will be the wakeup call he needs — a new voice to bring him into a team system fold. Though it’s also fair to wonder if that might alter the way he tries to play when he has the puck, which has produced four straight seasons leading the Rangers in scoring.

Whether it’s Panarin, Kreider, Lafrenière or someone else moving to the right side, I don’t think a new coach is gifting Lafrenière extra minutes. This will be a huge training camp for Laf if he’s still a Ranger in September. He can show his teammates he’s taken a step forward with his offseason work, he can show a new coach he’s serious and he can show Drury that he deserves a bigger role and a bigger contract.

https://theathletic.com/4521871/2023/05/16/rangers-captain-buyouts-panarin-kane/

2 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Kakko on first line has been tried every year four years running, but I see no option other than to try it again.  Fifth time could be a charm.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Tried isn't the issue. Left there is the thing that needs to happen. 

Yup

Gotta really give it time. Which they haven’t. 

To me, when I hear the argument that they’ve tried him there before, I simply remind people that it’s always been very short term.

That’s like saying

“The one time I saw Miguel Cabrera hit,  he struck out. So…He must be a terrible hitter by that logic.”

1 hour ago, Pete said:

As if anyone here knows what was asked of Panarin and by whom.

Gotta love it. 

It’s a logical conclusion to think coaches would attempt to help Panarin not stink in the playoffs, but I’m not surprised you don’t see that. You seem to think a professional NHL head coach who has been to the Cup Finals and two Conference Finals didn’t have a game plan or system because he didn’t mail you a paper copy of it to your house.

Some things just don’t take a rocket scientist to figure out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It’s a logical conclusion to think coaches would attempt to help Panarin not stink in the playoffs, but I’m not surprised you don’t see that. You seem to think a professional NHL head coach who has been to the Cup Finals and two Conference Finals didn’t have a game plan or system because he didn’t mail you a paper copy of it to your house.

Some things just don’t take a rocket scientist to figure out.

And yet can't make it to a third year with the same org LOL.

Read your own work, dude.

Drury needs to go with his gut here. He needs a coach who has the technical ability to help this veteran team take the next step in the playoffs when matching and strategic adjustments become paramount while treating the players in the same empowering and professional manner that marked Gallant’s tenure. Our understanding is that players were asking for help during exit interviews.

And for those who think we change coaches too often and it has to be the players who are the problem...

But take a look at conference finalist Dallas, on its fourth coach within five seasons. Take a look at conference finalist Vegas, on its third coach within three years. Take a look at conference finalist Florida, on its fourth coach in four years, albeit with one change enforced by the NHL.

So yea, G. He's the problem. It's G.

Yeah, a new coach buys Panarin more time, and excuses, for sure.

By November everyone will be lulled back to sleep, as he'll be at 1.15 ppg, and all will be well.

Once April rolls around he'll get a fresh crack at figuring out playoff hockey, and he'll more than likely shit the bed again, and we'll start the cycle once more.

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Yeah, a new coach buys Panarin more time, and excuses, for sure.

By November everyone will be lulled back to sleep, as he'll be at 1.15 ppg, and all will be well.

Once April rolls around he'll get a fresh crack at figuring out playoff hockey, and he'll more than likely shit the bed again, and we'll start the cycle once more.

It's probably worth noting that Panarin needing to "figure out" playoff hockey has only been an issue under one coach. Gerard Gallant. 

He was fine under Quenneville. He was fine under Torts. Heck, he was one of the few brighter spots in that bubble series against Carolina under Quinn. 

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

It's probably worth noting that Panarin needing to "figure out" playoff hockey has only been an issue under one coach. Gerard Gallant. 

He was fine under Quenneville. He was fine under Torts. Heck, he was one of the few brighter spots in that bubble series against Carolina under Quinn. 

But but but, that one time under Quennville when he only had one point during the sweep, when Chicago was a one-line team and got shut down by the best defense in the NHL that subsequently went on to the Stanley Cup final.

Also people need to move away from the idea that 16 points in 20 games last year was bad. It might not have been as impactful as certain fans wanted it to be, but the fact is that a point leads to a goal. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

But but but, that one time under Quennville when he only had one point during the sweep, when Chicago was a one-line team and got shut down by the best defense in the NHL that subsequently went on to the Stanley Cup final.

Also people need to move away from the idea that 16 points in 20 games last year was bad. It might not have been as impactful as certain fans wanted it to be, but the fact is that a point leads to a goal. 

Well if we were using that Nashville series as a barometer for playoff success, why did we go get Kane? /s

I'm fine letting the 2021-22 playoffs slide into the minus bucket because Panarin himself put it in the minus bucket. I don't think 16 in 20 is bad at all - but he did.

And I think this applies to a lot of our team - Kakko perhaps most of all. There was some serious talent mismanagement here under Gallant, and for a team with two distinct cores, that's a real pain point. Panarin suffered from it just as much as Kakko or Chytil or Miller. 

• VINNY! 1

Part of the Rangers lack of playoff scoring success is the lack of a coach who gets favorable match-ups for our players.  If I remember correctly Stamkos’ series game winner was scored with Chytil’s line on the ice late in the 3rd period.  When did the Rangers ever get Panarin and Zibby out there against any teams bottoms 2 lines?

42 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Part of the Rangers lack of playoff scoring success is the lack of a coach who gets favorable match-ups for our players.  If I remember correctly Stamkos’ series game winner was scored with Chytil’s line on the ice late in the 3rd period.  When did the Rangers ever get Panarin and Zibby out there against any teams bottoms 2 lines?

Yeah, matchups were another weakness of the former regime.  I got sick and tired of hearing Gallant say, "we're just rolling our 4 lines".

Yeah that's great, fuck nuts...but that just screams to me, "We don't give a fuck about matchups, ....We just play our 4 lines...no matter what!"

• Bullseye 1